Smart phone use in church

Help Support CattleToday:

My sister in law uses her Iphone in church to read the Bible, so she says, but I have caught her texting a time or two.

The assistant pastor commented a couple of weeks ago that he understood a lot of folks liked to read the Bible on phones or tablets, but he said it did not take both thumbs moving rapidly to read the Bible. So he could tell when someone was texting.

My wife got onto me about something, so I needed ammunition to throw back because... well, I'm just dumb. I said something to my wife about not playing on her phone during church. You would think I would have learned to keep my mouth shut by now and just say, yes ma'am. But I didn't. I was however, informed that she was reading the weekly handout that is online now with the scriptures, had I been at Church with her, I would know this. :hide:

I work about half of the weekends, so I was out of the loop on this.

Commercialfarmer":3l77i9vf said:
My wife got onto me about something, so I needed ammunition to throw back because... well, I'm just dumb. I said something to my wife about not playing on her phone during church. You would think I would have learned to keep my mouth shut by now and just say, yes ma'am. But I didn't. I was however, informed that she was reading the weekly handout that is online now with the scriptures, had I been at Church with her, I would know this. :hide:

I work about half of the weekends, so I was out of the loop on this.

After being married fore 32 years, I found any ammunition I might think I could throw back at my wife is defective and blows up in my face :) There is no good ammunition, it all blows up on me or shoots me in the foot. always...

GMN":3kqp97md said:
seems wrong to use a cell phone in church, or even an ipad
It's not for me either. Personally I don't like it when a preacher use's the NKJV bible, we have tried a couple different churches over the last year, I just can't get use to even these smaller churches having big TV screens,useing the new version bible and new song books that are new hymns. We are back to our old church of a max of 25 people on a big week, it's as old fashioned as you can find and that suites me just fine.

denvermartinfarms":6amueyw8 said:
GMN":6amueyw8 said:
It's not for me either. Personally I don't like it when a preacher use's the NKJV bible, we have tried a couple different churches over the last year, I just can't get use to even these smaller churches having big TV screens,useing the new version bible and new song books that are new hymns. We are back to our old church of a max of 25 people on a big week, it's as old fashioned as you can find and that suites me just fine.

Do you speak in "thees and thous" after church?? Actually many of today's modern versions are better and much easier to understand than the old ones although not as poetic and flowing as some of the scripture in the older versions. Still sounds peculiar when folks pray in KJV english.

TexasBred":g7k1wo2f said:
denvermartinfarms":g7k1wo2f said:
GMN":g7k1wo2f said:

Do you speak in "thees and thous" after church?? Actually many of today's modern versions are better and much easier to understand than the old ones although not as poetic and flowing as some of the scripture in the older versions. Still sounds peculiar when folks pray in KJV english.
No we don't talk like that. I just think the way the new version's take out words and use different words, it can give a different meaning than what is meant.

denvermartinfarms":1upvnk1k said:
No we don't talk like that. I just think the way the new version's take out words and use different words, it can give a different meaning than what is meant.

Oh absolutely but in many cases the change is more accurate than what has been in use for ages. Just takes us a while to change our thinking.

Heard a TV preacher talking about using nothing but the original manuscripts the other day. I'm scratching my head thinking "where in the world did you find the originals"?? :eek:

TexasBred":27spdkke said:
denvermartinfarms":27spdkke said:
GMN":27spdkke said:
We got a new pastor in July....Young feller, wife, 3 kids under 5....Has his sermon notes on electronic media. Church now has wi-fi and his sermon notes are available online with an area where anyone can leave messages and prayer requests.....Music has changed too. Haven't sung a song written in the last 40 years. Only the old hymns. :banana: .....Average Sunday attendance has gone up about 35% and has added 9 new members. Some that had left years ago are now returning. (long story their).

Trouble I have with some of the "new" translations is they comes across watered down....and I think some twist it a bit.....then their are the ones where "Jesus wept" becomes a paragraph. :D Exaggeration yes, but some seem a bit wordy.

1982vett":7nogyy7t said:
Trouble I have with some of the "new" translations is they comes across watered down....and I think some twist it a bit.....then their are the ones where "Jesus wept" becomes a paragraph. :D Exaggeration yes, but some seem a bit wordy.
Yep I know what you mean. Some of it may be fine, but I have seen some versions that border on adding to or taking away.

denvermartinfarms":3flculgy said:
1982vett":3flculgy said:
Yep I know what you mean. Some of it may be fine, but I have seen some versions that border on adding to or taking away.

Watered down??? Scripture has been translated, re-translated again and again it makes you sometimes wonder if it's really even close to the "original". Then if you want to go back to the oldest translations protestants won't use it. :lol2:

This last week in the church bulletin they had a survey to fill out regarding smart phones in church. It seems they have an app that will allow you to have access to the pastors notes for the sermon. My phone is sort of dumb, it just sits in the kitchen at home, so I didn't help there survey any.

Dave":2zrug0zg said:
This last week in the church bulletin they had a survey to fill out regarding smart phones in church. It seems they have an app that will allow you to have access to the pastors notes for the sermon. My phone is sort of dumb, it just sits in the kitchen at home, so I didn't help there survey any.
:lol2: :lol2: Mine too on Sunday.

Wish I could find one of these smart phones. All of the one's I've tried ended up being dumb phones with new name tags. :lol:

Our church is pretty low tech...don't think we have even figured out how to turn the lights on yet.

denvermartinfarms":xo73tf8g said:

I know it's a shame, but on the other hand my Hebrew and Greek are not that good.

Larry

TexasBred":26dnatuf said:
denvermartinfarms":26dnatuf said:
1982vett":26dnatuf said:

Watered down??? Scripture has been translated, re-translated again and again it makes you sometimes wonder if it's really even close to the "original". Then if you want to go back to the oldest translations protestants won't use it. :lol2:

Have you seen the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit? http://seethescrolls.com/exhibit
I have a real hard time thinking that the Catholic Church as a corner on the scripture market, especially when the church doesn't want members reading and interpreting the passages for themselves (lot of control issues there which is dangerous and then you have people sounding like you- you can't interpret the word of God, but you can somehow know that everyone else is wrong? :roll: ). There are plenty or very old scriptures to compare to today's. It only shows how consistent the word has been.

Commercialfarmer":xptrxb8d said:
Have you seen the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit? http://seethescrolls.com/exhibit
I have a real hard time thinking that the Catholic Church as a corner on the scripture market, especially when the church doesn't want members reading and interpreting the passages for themselves (lot of control issues there which is dangerous and then you have people sounding like you- you can't interpret the word of God, but you can somehow know that everyone else is wrong? :roll: ). There are plenty or very old scriptures to compare to today's. It only shows how consistent the word has been.

Jsut so happens I have seen the dead sea scrolls. KNow what they have? The books the prots. removed from the bible. Sure we read and interpret scripture. We DO have bibles my friend and we read them at home on our phones and in church. Not a problem at all. Who told you we don't?? But then scripture itself says it is hard to interpret. And yes we decided the canon of scripture. Where was your protestant church back in the 4th century? How do you know what books belong in the bible and which do not? After all there were dozens of gospels, 5 Acts of the Apostles and literally hundreds of epistles. The CHURCH had to decide which were divinly inspired word of God. Yes there are "old scriptures" available. That was not my comment. I asked specifically "What original greek manuscripts" were used. NONE There are NONE...only reproductions WITH changes and fragments of others. Read the introduction to the original KJV....count the books in the original 1611 KJV . Check center column references for 200 years afterward and you'll find references to the "deleted" books. Took them longer to get all those removed.

Next you'll claim we chained the bibles to the pulpit. Dam sure did...they were very very expensive and didn't want anyone to steal them. And in those most of the Kings of the world could read anyway, let alone the common man.

Now I don't know which one of the 40,000 protestant demominations you belong to but you need to do some serious study about ANY church before condemning it. And find reliable sources !!!!!

I grew up in and still attend one of those "KJV" only churches. However, I'm not convinced its the only reliable translation. Our preacher said one time that the NIV referred to Mary as simply a young woman and not a virgin. I got to thinking about that and so I looked up my bible app. on the computer and started checking out all the different translations and their references to Mary, come to find out....not only the NIV but all the other translations ....and there are many, refer to Mary as a virgin.
Things get started by one person or preacher and all of the other zealots take it and run with it without even checking it out. Now I agree with TB that the KJV books like Psalms and Proverbs have a very traditional poetic style that doesn't quite sound the same in modern day English......somewhat like Shakespeare , can you imagine hearing someone read Shakespeare in modern English?
All that aside.....most of us have been taught that we must interpret every word of the Bible literally, not saying that a lot of it is and was literal. Jesus himself was misunderstood by the religious folk of the day because He spoke in metaphors and parables most of the time. Many people today seem to hold the Bible, be it whatever version it may be, in higher esteem than they do God. The Bible is not to be worshipped, only God is.

Banjo":khi6tu0o said:
I grew up in and still attend one of those "KJV" only churches. However, I'm not convinced its the only reliable translation. Our preacher said one time that the NIV referred to Mary as simply a young woman and not a virgin. I got to thinking about that and so I looked up my bible app. on the computer and started checking out all the different translations and their references to Mary, come to find out....not only the NIV but all the other translations ....and there are many, refer to Mary as a virgin.
Things get started by one person or preacher and all of the other zealots take it and run with it without even checking it out. Now I agree with TB that the KJV books like Psalms and Proverbs have a very traditional poetic style that doesn't quite sound the same in modern day English......somewhat like Shakespeare , can you imagine hearing someone read Shakespeare in modern English?
All that aside.....most of us have been taught that we must interpret every word of the Bible literally, not saying that a lot of it is and was literal. Jesus himself was misunderstood by the religious folk of the day because He spoke in metaphors and parables most of the time. Many people today seem to hold the Bible, be it whatever version it may be, in higher esteem than they do God. The Bible is not to be worshipped, only God is.

:clap: Well said Banjo

Latest posts