Chinese Flu ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't really pay much attention to the news but what I did hear was that the mortality so far is in the mid 100's. I would have thought that in a country like China that mortality rate would not even be worth reporting. The nursing home in our small town lost over 20 inmates to a flu outbreak a couple of years ago so now they go into lockdown at the first hint of anything going around, they don't like the idea of a loss to their revenue.

Ken

Redgully said:
greybeard said:
Redgully said:
I was reading an article today that was saying pretty much all the people who have died had underlying health problems. Healthy people just get a bit of a temperature and run down and then bounce back. There is something nasty coming one day in the future and they know it, that is why they go into panic mode with these outbreaks. Good dress rehearsals for quarantine and containment for when that day comes.

I suppose that is comforting to hear, if one is young and healthy, has no young children or elderly friends or family members. Here's what it's really saying tho, and why there is such a push to keep it contained:

" Healthy people just get a bit of a temperature and run down and then bounce back." ........after being infectious and potentially spreading it around to their parents, infants and those with other underlying health problems and to other healthy people to to become infectious and potentially spread it to THEIR parents, infants etc etc.."

If a given society is 'ok' with killing off their weak, elderly, sick, and very young, then I suppose they would just let it run it's course but not even China with a 1 billion population is callous enough to do that.

One thing I haven't read anything about, is whether it can survive in other hosts, such as livestock. Supposedly came from bats or snakes, but what other animal can be a host? Can you imagine the panic and economic debacle if it gets into the Western or even Asian food chain?

Well that was an interesting post from you.....there are more gun deaths every day in the U.S. alone than what this virus has killed.

I'm not saying im ok with it, just saying it is not the bad one that is coming that will take out healthy and unhealthy. Something like the plague.

Measles came from cattle, jumped to us but seemed to stop there. This is not an uncommon occurrence. They believe they will be trialing a vaccine by August and will be available by early 2021.

How many deaths comparatively occurring from firearms, plane cashes, automobile accidents, heart disease, lung cancer or influenza is irrelevant. It's little comfort to those in the middle of this outbreak or those who may be exposed to it.
'In addition to' might be relevant.
More later...have to run to town.

If you see some of the videos of the market place where and what they buy in China you will no doubt see why epidemics occur over there. They slaughter with live chickens dogs and other animals right near the slaughter. Hang the meat and sell it to customers.

If you see some of the videos of the market place where and what they buy in China you will no doubt see why epidemics occur over there. They slaughter with live chickens dogs and other animals right near the slaughter. Hang the meat and sell it to customers.

The talking heads hit an all time low this week. Not sure about swine flu effects, not sure about people flu effects, not sure about trade deal effects, not sure about prevent plant... The closest they came to insight was that globally we are probably still over producing. Stay tuned.

hurleyjd said:

Yep, I've seen it, and smelled it. The whole skinned monkeys looked like baby humans hanging there..often with the head still attached.
It's not the meat that stinks tho. Here, our wash water goes neatly down a drain, whereas in other parts of the world, it flows down a shallow ditch in front of the place or stands stagnant and there are boards placed in front of each vendor so the customers can cross without stepping in it. Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, even parts of the Caribbean all same same. Hasn't been all that long ago either, that Mexico was the same way.

all natural, 100% organic, non-gmo, no antibiotics ever, no preservatives added, no growth hormones, locally grown and processed, gluten free...all the things the modern day/neo hippies are screaming for here in America.

The Pentagon said the Department of Health and Human Services requested that the Defense Department provide several facilities capable of housing at least 250 people in individual rooms through February 29.
The Pentagon said the locations selected to assist, if needed, are:
the 168th Regiment, Regional Training Institute in Fort Carson, Colorado;
the Travis Air Force Base in California;
the Lackland Air Force Base in Texas;
the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California.

"Under the request, DOD will only provide housing support, while HHS will be responsible for all care, transportation, and security of the evacuees. DOD personnel will not be directly in contact with the evacuees and evacuees will not have access to any base location other than their assigned housing," the Pentagon said in a statement.

"In accordance with (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) guidelines, all evacuees will be monitored for a period of 14 days. Should routine monitoring of the evacuees identify ill individuals, HHS has procedures in place to transport them to a local civilian hospital," the statement continued.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/01/politics/defense-department-housing-coronavirus/index.html

Have any of you actually ever been to China? I have. In 2008, I went to watch the Olympics. Beijing is huge. I cannot emphasize enough how much bigger the scale of building is there. The one city has as many people as all of the us combined. An apartment complex there is like 6, 30 story buildings. The building that was going on there when I was there was shocking. Cranes everywhere. As building is government owned or supported in some way, they do not have the slow permit process we have here. Noone is protesting building a hospital. I believe they can build it fast. I hope the cement has enough time to cure so the building doesn't collapse. I'm sure it will be a no frills hospital but the bill will also be low. It is cheap to live in China compared to the us. One shocking thing I observed was that in the city of Beijing I didnt see a single bird. When I went to the great wall, I did see birds 100 miles from the city. But not many. They had killed birds to prevent the spread of bird flu. They should have first did an environmental study as the missing birds would have eaten the insects that were taking over. China is very different from the US. I dont want to live there. But they can really out build us.

Roads, rail, pipelines, ports...
They are building massive infrastructure in other countries to be independent, particularly from the US.
I would not rush into building any new confinement barns for export.

it's finished. The Wuhan hospital...patients start moving in tomorrow.
Staffed with military docs and nurses.

It takes years here, to build anything or even fill potholes because of "environmental studies"

(fyi..if anyone intends to get the 3M N-95 masks for 'just in case", good luck. They are in very short supply already.)

From a randomly selected store.....
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Safety-Equipment-Respirator-Masks/N95/N-5yc1vZc25kZ1z195hh

I read somewhere that having a mask is pointless if you don't have coronavirus as it doesn't stop you being infected, it is only useful for those that have it to help them stop spreading it.

There are too many ways for it to be transmitted for any one preventative to be highly effective.
Present in any liquid or aerosol from the body, as well as in the feces. It can remain viable on surfaces for several hours. They do not know for sure yet how long it stays virulent suspended in air.

They're trying to establish a good R0 number. (R zero or R-naught) That's a number given a pathogen or infection that shows what the approximate rate of infection is. Non-infectious is R naught. A slightly infectious disease has a desirable R0 # below 1. Polio, smallpox and rubella (German measles) have R0 values in the 5 to 7 range; such values mean that, on average, one sick person would be likely to infect five to seven people who were not resistant to the virus, Common measles is among the highest with an R# of r12 to R18, because measles virus can stay suspended in the air for as much as 2 hours after being expelled from a contagious person's sneeze or cough.

What is the R number? It is indicative of how many people are getting infected from a single infected person. A person with measles can generally infect 12-18 other people.
WHO currently places Coronavirus at R1.4 to R2.5. The Chinese estimate it at R3.5. It can change, depending on a lot of factors, and since this is a relatively new strain, and the fact that the Chinese estimate that only about 5% of their infected population has been identified, it probably will.
SARS r0 # is 3 to 4 range.
Whooping cough 5.5, according to a study published in 2010 in the journal PLoS Medicine, and SARS has an R naught value in the 3 to 4 range.
Rubella (German measles), Polio, smallpox all fit in the 5-7 range.
Seasonal influenza is rated pretty low at about 1.3, but infects millions of people because of low resistance to it, as a seemingly never ending variety of strains emerge each year.
Mumps has a 10 rating.

tumblr-c0674cd2e310614ffc9f6de3ced5e3fb-85f3ed19-1280.jpg

I don't think the Commie party is concerned about the deaths of a couple hundred workers, but that they are very concerned about their image and the associated public confidence. Not sure that a couple concrete army hospitals is going to be enough.

Police in China are using drones with speakers to monitor and warn people to stay indoors or wear masks. The kid at the end is funny as heck......
https://www.businessinsider.com/china-uses-drones-to-patrol-citizens-during-wuhan-coronavirus-outbreak-2020-1

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1223218977570078721

The Associated Press has published an updated list of global cases of the coronavirus:

China: 17,205 cases on the mainland. 17,459 globally confirmed cases, according to Johns Hopkins university. In addition, Hong Kong has 14 cases and Macao has seven. Most of the 361 deaths have been in central Hubei province, where illnesses from the new type of coronavirus were first detected in December.
Japan: 20
Thailand: 19
Singapore: 18
South Korea: 15
United States: 11
Germany: 10
Taiwan: 10
Malaysia: 8
Australia: 7
Vietnam: 8
France: 6
United Arab Emirates: 5
Canada: 4
India: 3
Philippines: 1 death, 1 additional case
Russia: 2
Italy: 2
Britain: 2
Nepal: 1
Sri Lanka: 1
Sweden: 1
Spain: 1
Cambodia: 1
Finland: 1

At full capacity, China says they can make 20 million protective masks per 24 hrs but they are now in dire shortage. Asking for donations of masks, goggles, protective clothing from "anywhere".
I have 2 boxes of 20 and they can't have mine.

Latest posts