Cattle Passion/Money

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":2ggmg5am said:
Well, it is your fault. :hide:

:lol2: :lol2: I knew it. I did admit I was deplorable and a heartless SOB. I can't help it that I like to see people fail. It makes me feel successful and is good for my fragile ego. And train wrecks are cool don't you think?

Caustic Burno":1qvn6626 said:
Bright Raven":1qvn6626 said:
Caustic Burno":1qvn6626 said:
Funny when your only choice was a state mental institution or become a contributing member of society.
We didn't have near as many "dysfunctional " people.

I doubt there is reliable data to support that. Humans are short sighted when it comes to the past. I would speculate the numbers on a per capita basis are the same.

Now that is funny I give you this you are the blue ribbon winner
Up until the 1900's they were culled from society.
John Wesley Hardin - "So mean he once shot a man for snoring." - Yep no mental illness there. :)
In his defense, he shot through a bedroom wall in a hotel and was just trying to get the guy to roll over.
The 2nd shot accidentally hitting him in the head and killing him instantly, all very reasonable... for a TEXAN.

At age 9 in 1862 John Wesley Hardin tried to run away from home to join the Confederate army
1867 age 14 stabbed and nearly killed a fellow student at his father's school... and he was almost expelled for it!
1868 age 15 shot and killed his uncle's former slave Maje Holshousen for shouting and waving a stick at him
Two weeks later warned that 3 union soldiers were coming to arrest him to stand trial, he ambushed and killed all 3.
John Wesley Hardin 4 murders at age 15
He later bragged of killing 38 more... 23 documented which included killing 5 law enforcement officers

1877 age 24 captured by Texas Rangers on a train he attempted to draw, but his .44 Colt pistol caught in a suspender
1878 sentenced to 27 yrs in prison for multiple murders he served 17 years and was released at age 40 in 1894
1894 he became a lawyer in Texas (bcs Texas never has actually cared about laws) and married a 15 yr old girl
1895 age 42 killed by a bullet in back of the head by a man claiming self defense... that trial ended in a hung jury

Son of Butch":2o0nyz0v said:
Caustic Burno":2o0nyz0v said:
Bright Raven":2o0nyz0v said:
I doubt there is reliable data to support that. Humans are short sighted when it comes to the past. I would speculate the numbers on a per capita basis are the same.

John Wesley Hardin - "So mean he once shot a man for snoring." - Yep no mental illness there. :)
In his defense, he shot through a bedroom wall in a hotel and was just trying to get the guy to roll over.
The 2nd shot accidentally hitting him in the head and killing him instantly, all very reasonable... for a TEXAN.

At age 9 in 1862 John Wesley Hardin tried to run away from home to join the Confederate army
1867 age 14 stabbed and nearly killed a fellow student at his father's school... and he was almost expelled for it!
1868 age 15 shot and killed his uncle's former slave Maje Holshousen for shouting and waving a stick at him
Two weeks later warned that 3 union soldiers were coming to arrest him to stand trial, he ambushed and killed all 3.
He later bragged of killing 38 more... 23 documented which included killing 5 law enforcement officers

1877 age 24 captured by Texas Rangers on a train he attempted to draw, but his .44 Colt pistol caught in a suspender
1878 sentenced to 27 yrs in prison for multiple murders he served 17 years and was released at age 40 in 1894
1894 he became a lawyer in Texas (bcs Texas never has actually cared about laws) and married a 15 yr old girl
1895 age 42 killed by a bullet in back of the head by a man claiming self defense... that trial ended in a hung jury

Moral of the story: never trust a man that goes by 3 names..history is riddled with them.

Son of Butch":3cr64e4y said:
Caustic Burno":3cr64e4y said:
Bright Raven":3cr64e4y said:

Killed 40 some odd people and 5 law enforcement officers and only served 17 years. I'd hire him as a lawyer.

Son of Butch":2comffac said:
Caustic Burno":2comffac said:
Bright Raven":2comffac said:

Proves Caustic Burno right. They cull'em in Texas with a shot to the back of the head. In Georgia, they cull'em with a shot behind the left ear. Doin right ain't got no end!

Caustic Burno":173gs86m said:
Where I have to throw the :bs: flag is we were exposed to a lot more chemicals in the 40's through 60's and society wasn't coming off the rails.
Heck they used to spray the school and grounds with DDT and the list goes on.
This whole country took a turn under the Great Society philosophy and has been falling like a turd in a well ever
since. You get what your willing to except.
Some interesting stats: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/ ... ide-trends
Says underage drinking is down, smoking is down, illicit drug use is up but that some of that is attributable to older people (50s and 60s) using drugs. Interesting...
CB, I think plenty of people have always been off the rails.
In terms of chemical exposure, there's been lots of exposure to the past few decades. Heck, I'm middle-aged and an awful lot of our parents smoked while pregnant and after we were born. We know now that that affects young bodies and minds.
I guess my only point is, if you're lucky enough to have a sound mind, count your blessings.

Cross-7":3gna0ju8 said:
I came very close to losing a good job on two different occasions.
One was a sales meeting in a very small room. It was very close quarters and lots of people.
Everyone in there were older and outside sales.
I was simple a parts man and felt inferior and have a real problem with social anxiety, lots of people and crowds.
I left and went back to my job.
I told them they'd could fire me for insubordination but I wasn't going back.
I wasn't fired but was pasted over for promotions for a awhile.
To this day it's still a real struggle to go to those meeting even now that I'm older than several there and my sales are greater than most in the room.
Some think it's BS and say none of us wants to be here or do that but we do it.
I promise it's more than just not wanting to do something.

Thanks Cross. I appreciate the honesty. I was always wired kinda the opposite: the wilder (and more high stakes) things around me get, the calmer I get. When I get nervous, my blood pressure actually drops. It's physiological. (Made me good at spelling bees as a kid. Getting blood drawn? Not so much :lol: ). I don't "summon" it and although it has been a helpful trait career-wise, I can't take credit for it because it's unearned. Plus, conversely, sometimes I have a harder time chilling out when things are quiet. Sleep is hard, for example.

boondocks":gaw8ajkc said:
Caustic Burno":gaw8ajkc said:
Where I have to throw the :bs: flag is we were exposed to a lot more chemicals in the 40's through 60's and society wasn't coming off the rails.
Heck they used to spray the school and grounds with DDT and the list goes on.
This whole country took a turn under the Great Society philosophy and has been falling like a turd in a well ever
since. You get what your willing to except.
Some interesting stats: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/ ... ide-trends
Says underage drinking is down, smoking is down, illicit drug use is up but that some of that is attributable to older people (50s and 60s) using drugs. Interesting...
CB, I think plenty of people have always been off the rails.
In terms of chemical exposure, there's been lots of exposure to the past few decades. Heck, I'm middle-aged and an awful lot of our parents smoked while pregnant and after we were born. We know now that that affects young bodies and minds.
I guess my only point is, if you're lucky enough to have a sound mind, count your blessings.

Man has been playing with chemical exposure of some kind since the beginning of time. Forbidden fruit seems to be the sweetest.
What has changed is society tolerance of unacceptable behavior.
Fifty years ago they would shoot you on college campuses for civil disobedience today they retreat.

Bright Raven":37u5dgxu said:
Son of Butch":37u5dgxu said:
Caustic Burno":37u5dgxu said:

Proves Caustic Burno right. They cull'em in Texas with a shot to the back of the head. In Georgia, they cull'em with a shot behind the left ear. Doin right ain't got no end!
Nice Josey Wales quote!

Anything in agriculture will make you rich, if you have enough time. Farming, cattle, etc. builds wealth, not always cash.
An old man in my area who owns a couple thousand acres and probably 300 head of cows said cattle are like a savings account. They make you a little interest (cash) along, the way, but if you keep growing the herd, you turn around and thirty years later you have a half million dollars out there eating grass.

When I bought my home farm, Dad said it was too high, but to go for it if I could stand to break even for twenty years. I bought it, and my only mistake was not buying everything I could get a loan for from the time I was 18 to 30. No, I wouldn't make a living off it for a number of years, but you turn around and in twenty short years you're set! We all need cash, but I'll take those long term (land) and intermediate term (cattle) assets any day over short term (cash).

Caustic Burno":2sb8kzut said:
Fifty years ago they would shoot you on college campuses for civil disobedience today they retreat.
LOL - seems you are drawing dividends on your memory banks and believe the shootings were wide spread approved
and ordered. That's like your grandsons saying in 50 years "When Obama was president, they would shoot you for
being black in a public place."

May 4, 1970 is the date in history that our nation unfairly switched to thinking of Vietnam as Nixon's war not LBJ's.
It was the day Nixon lost the silent majority.

"Tin soldiers and Nixon coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I heard the calling
Four dead in Ohio"

After 22 days of civil disobedience in California during April/May 1969 even though there were many wounded only one
(James Rector) was killed by gunfire. Governor Reagan probably summed it up best...
"It's very naive to assume you should send anyone into that kind of conflict with a flyswatter."

Acts of civil disobedience also occurred in 1968 (49 years ago) but nobody was shot during them chanting
"Hey, Hey LBJ how many kids did you kill to day?"

By the way could you tell us 'Which retreat from a college campus for civil disobedience happened today or recently?"
or did you dream that also?

Son of Butch":3aplrvok said:
Caustic Burno":3aplrvok said:
LOL - seems you are drawing dividends on your memory banks and believe the shootings were wide spread approved
and ordered. That's like your grandsons saying in 50 years "When Obama was president, they would shoot you for
being black in a public place."

May 4, 1970 is the date in history the entire nation unfairly started thinking of Vietnam as Nixon's war not LBJ's.
It was the day Nixon lost the silent majority.

"Tin soldiers and Nixon coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I heard the calling
Four dead in Ohio"

After 24 days of civil disobedience in California during April/May 1969 even though there were many wounded only one
(James Rector) was shot and killed by police. Governor Reagan probably summed it up best...
"It's very naive to assume you should send anyone into that kind of conflict with a flyswatter."

Acts of civil disobedience also occurred in 1968 (49 years ago) but nobody was shot during them chanting
"Hey, Hey LBJ how many kids did you kill to day?"

By the way could you tell us 'Which retreat from a college campus for civil disobedience happened today or recently?"
or did you dream that also?

When I saw the statement "Fifty years ago they would shoot you on college campuses for civil disobedience..." I assumed his brain cells had corroded and he thought be lived in China.

49 years ago in 1968, I was on a college campus watching the protests. At the time, I was so dam poor all I worried about was getting to my classes and wondering if I would have money for one meal a day.

To serve up The Kent State shootings like it was a common act condoned by the people of this country as CB did, suggests...

Actually, you put it very well...

whats this got to do with making money off cows..i don't think the pussification of America or the downward spiral of society has anything to do with whether im gonna make any money this yr.
ill keep welding and using cows as my other full time job. they got their money and I got mine...ill loan em some but they always pay me back and then some

dieselbeef":1y6dpqxb said:
whats this got to do with making money off cows..i don't think the pussification of America or the downward spiral of society has anything to do with whether im gonna make any money this yr.
ill keep welding and using cows as my other full time job. they got their money and I got mine...ill loan em some but they always pay me back and then some

My very fine feathered friend - If threads going off track is annoying, you better find another source of entertainment.

dieselbeef":2douksyq said:
man aint that the truth..this place derail a 200 mph maglev with a toothpick

Have you noticed it is usually Caustic Burno that gets off-track? I think he forgets what thread he is posting on. ;-)

Edited to add:
dieselbeef, You introduced a term that is new to me - pussification. If I understand the meaning. There are times, not as much as when I was younger, that I would appreciate some pussification.

always something new to learn..it basically means society is becoming a bunch of sorry pansies offended by anything and wont do anything about it

boondocks":39j519y4 said:
Cross-7":39j519y4 said:
I came very close to losing a good job on two different occasions.
One was a sales meeting in a very small room. It was very close quarters and lots of people.
Everyone in there were older and outside sales.
I was simple a parts man and felt inferior and have a real problem with social anxiety, lots of people and crowds.
I left and went back to my job.
I told them they'd could fire me for insubordination but I wasn't going back.
I wasn't fired but was pasted over for promotions for a awhile.
To this day it's still a real struggle to go to those meeting even now that I'm older than several there and my sales are greater than most in the room.
Some think it's BS and say none of us wants to be here or do that but we do it.
I promise it's more than just not wanting to do something.

Thanks Cross. I appreciate the honesty. I was always wired kinda the opposite: the wilder (and more high stakes) things around me get, the calmer I get. When I get nervous, my blood pressure actually drops. It's physiological. (Made me good at spelling bees as a kid. Getting blood drawn? Not so much :lol: ). I don't "summon" it and although it has been a helpful trait career-wise, I can't take credit for it because it's unearned. Plus, conversely, sometimes I have a harder time chilling out when things are quiet. Sleep is hard, for example.

We must be siblings! I thrive on the intense engagement scenarios. My anxiety is blood work. It is my nightmare. My mind goes into self preservation mode. I almost need to be sedated.

dieselbeef":182kn39m said:
always something new to learn..it basically means society is becoming a bunch of sorry pansies offended by anything and wont do anything about it

Ok. I see that too, but...

Shooting down 18 to 22 year old "toddlers" for chanting and protesting is a horse of another color.

My son never caused me a single evening of anxiety in my entire life. He was beyond mature for his age but when he was 20, I still considered him far too unwise to make all the right decisions. If we as a country need to shoot people let's do it on the long end - when they are old, useless and a burden.

I'm sure CB was speaking metaphorically. If so, then I would agree. Civil unrest is not handled very well today.

Bigfoot":wndzwg1v said:
I'm sure CB was speaking metaphorically. If so, then I would agree. Civil unrest is not handled very well today.

I beg to differ. I been around here long enough to know that CB puts it out there EXACTLY as he means it. In fact, it is the one thing I respect him for. You don't have to guess what he means.

Latest posts