Cattle Passion/Money

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks":2djrvgwm said:
Agree with Son of Butch that we may be harming our brains with environmental and other chemicals. Also agree with Raven that some ppl just aren't very stable mentally from the get-go. I took a community college class 2 years ago to brush up on anatomy and physiology (yes I'm a nerd). There were students that had such bad anxiety they couldn't sit still and take a test for an hour. One of the young women was a star soccer player but couldn't sit thru an hour lecture without leaving for a bit. It was sad and eye=opening; I realized how lucky ppl without serious mental issues are. You can be smart as you want but if your mind/spirit is never calm, you're not gonna get very far...

Chemicals may act as a catalyst or exacerbate the malady, but I believe it is wired in. Not unlike the occasional cow that goes crazy when you get her penned in. There is a defect in brain chemistry or structure.

The great advances in medicine have been slowly making us weaker as a species.. I have no doubt that someday it'll catch up to us all.. Allergies, Asthma, Anxiety, Astigmatism, Anorexia.. and that's just a few of the "A" series!

boondocks":bdmgajam said:
Agree with Son of Butch that we may be harming our brains with environmental and other chemicals. Also agree with Raven that some ppl just aren't very stable mentally from the get-go. I took a community college class 2 years ago to brush up on anatomy and physiology (yes I'm a nerd). There were students that had such bad anxiety they couldn't sit still and take a test for an hour. One of the young women was a star soccer player but couldn't sit thru an hour lecture without leaving for a bit. It was sad and eye=opening; I realized how lucky ppl without serious mental issues are. You can be smart as you want but if your mind/spirit is never calm, you're not gonna get very far...

Where I have to throw the :bs: flag is we were exposed to a lot more chemicals in the 40's through 60's and society wasn't coming off the rails.
Heck they used to spray the school and grounds with DDT and the list goes on.
This whole country took a turn under the Great Society philosophy and has been falling like a turd in a well ever
since. You get what your willing to except.

Jogeephus":21gcf4wf said:
This year, I maxed my IRA contribution, paid the last college tuition and gave my son $10,000 to help him move to Indiana where he is starting his surgical residency. Did all this with cow money. Last year cow money built a barn and bought a new car for an elderly lady who is of no relation to me but needed and deserved reliable ride. Also, if you look back in my posts you will see where a few years ago I sold a load of calves in someone else's name to help them with the child they selflessly adopted. I did this thru an intermediary who was sworn to secrecy so my name wouldn't be mentioned.(Can't have people thinking I'm anything less than a heartless deplorable ba$tard you know) So yeah, there is profit to be made but the real profit isn't in new clothes or televisions its in the good you can do. The good you can do for the land and your community. That to me is what it is all about.

Yes, it sounds like you make a profit, and to me, that is what it's all about. I don't really understand what people mean when they say they don't make anything. I have a cousin and a friend who have a mechanics shop and a cabinet shop, and of course, neither of them make anything. I always wondered why one would do something that looked like a full time job if they weren't making anything. Maybe they just mean they aren't making a boat load of money as they would like. I actually don't have time to spend on a job that i don't make anything on. I have to eat, so I need a job where I make a profit.

I wasn't aware, however, that it wasn't real profit unless you spent it on your neighbor. Heck, I'd actually been spending it on my own family. I guess I'll just have to let people think I'm heartless and deplorable.

Caustic Burno":ksjbrzjx said:
boondocks":ksjbrzjx said:

Where I have to throw the :bs: flag is we were exposed to a lot more chemicals in the 40's through 60's and society wasn't coming off the rails.
Heck they used to spray the school and grounds with DDT and the list goes on.
This whole country took a turn under the Great Society philosophy and has been falling like a turd in a well ever
since. You get what your willing to except.

In regard to regulated emissions, particulates and gases, you are correct. The Clean Air Act has a track record of considerable improvement in air quality since the time period you mentioned.

In regard to "society coming off the rails", you are taking the topic to a much broader scope. I was speaking of the people with severe mental disorders to the extent they cannot function in a family, a place of employment, a recreational setting, etc. They end up on the street of a city sleeping in a cardboard box.

Anyone who has walked to work everyday for 5 years has seen humans in their lowest element. People defecating and urinating in public. Laying in the street or on an active rail line. Eating discarded food thrown in a garbage can. Picking out dixie cups and drinking the dregs. Drinking anything from drano to rubbing alcohol to stop the freight trains running through their heads.

Caustic Burno":1pqlglzb said:
Funny when your only choice was a state mental institution or become a contributing member of society.
We didn't have near as many "dysfunctional " people.

I doubt there is reliable data to support that. Humans are short sighted when it comes to the past. I would speculate the numbers on a per capita basis are the same.

Bright Raven":2j3v4aya said:
Caustic Burno":2j3v4aya said:
Funny when your only choice was a state mental institution or become a contributing member of society.

I doubt there is reliable data to support that. Humans are short sighted when it comes to the past. I would speculate the numbers on a per capita basis are the same.

Now that is funny I give you this you are the blue ribbon winner
Up until the 1900's they were culled from society.

Caustic Burno":1pbxaen5 said:
Bright Raven":1pbxaen5 said:
Caustic Burno":1pbxaen5 said:

Now that is funny I give you this you are the blue ribbon winner
Up until the 1900's they were culled from society.

Being funny was a pleasant By-Product. I'll accept that even if not intended.

I will even agree. Human history of the handling of the mentally ill is not a pretty picture. I opened this topic in response to Jogeephus only to make a distinction between deadbeats and those who simply cannot function. I am not offering a moral judgement, I will leave that to the Christians.

herofan":1v4dd7e3 said:
I wasn't aware, however, that it wasn't real profit unless you spent it on your neighbor. Heck, I'd actually been spending it on my own family. I guess I'll just have to let people think I'm heartless and deplorable.

I think you misunderstood me. I do spend money on family but I'm not going to spoil them. My son once said, "Dad, we are rich aren't we!", I told him "No, WE are not rich, your momma and I are rich and you are poor as sh!t and don't even have your high school diploma or any job prospects". As for myself I don't need much and try to keep my spending to the level I grew accustomed to when I was starting out. True, I could buy about anything I want and my money manager keeps telling me I should retire and enjoy life but she doesn't understand this isn't about me but my children and grandchildren.

When I started there was hardly any profit but I had a plan even though I was constantly told my plan would never work. Whenever you start any venture there is a mountain of debt you have to overcome to reach your goal and this is like climbing a sand dune where each step forward only brings you a half a step back. However, when you get to the top and begin going forward each step forward has gravity working for you. Gravity can be seen as the interest on your money or being debt free. So its only understandable when someone is in expansion mode their profit is invested back into the operation so they can grow. How much you grow and how fast you grow is important because the IRS doesn't like you to lose money every year and the intent of the tax policy is to encourage growth and expansion through deductions so at some point you both sides benefit.

Some never intend to show a profit. Some continue to expand and some simply justify all sorts of deductions based on their WANTS and not NEEDS and many of these WANTS are depreciable assets which are hardly justified if you truly intend to make a profit. I just don't spend it all on me because its not about me but my family. I view myself as merely the caretaker of my children's inheritance so they don't have to start at the bottom of the sand dune and live in a barn like I did when I started. I don't want them to HAVE to grow a garden to eat or have their highlight of their week after working three jobs to sit in the barn with a six pack of cheap beer tallying the mice they killed in their traps. BTW, 16 was my record. I hope my children will see their inheritance as a blessing and I hope they are not so selfish they don't appreciate the sacrifices it took to acquire it and I hope they don't pi$$ it away when they get it but as is often the case, one generation makes it, the next generation holds on to it and the third generation pi$$es it away.

As for helping others, I don't give money to everyone with their hands out. I don't tithe to to the church but what I do is do my homework find those who are deserving and who by no fault of their own deserves help and help them. I have little to know pity for those who complain about their plight in life because I know from experience that in most cases you make your own reality and you can choose to either be the victor or the victim. Its just whether or not you choose to put forth the effort or complain that life isn't fair because its not and never will be.

Jogeephus":24fy3qoy said:
herofan":24fy3qoy said:

I think you misunderstood me. I do spend money on family but I'm not going to spoil them. My son once said, "Dad, we are rich aren't we!", I told him "No, WE are not rich, your momma and I are rich and you are poor as be nice and don't even have your high school diploma or any job prospects". As for myself I don't need much and try to keep my spending to the level I grew accustomed to when I was starting out. True, I could buy about anything I want and my money manager keeps telling me I should retire and enjoy life but she doesn't understand this isn't about me but my children and grandchildren.

When I started there was hardly any profit but I had a plan even though I was constantly told my plan would never work. Whenever you start any venture there is a mountain of debt you have to overcome to reach your goal and this is like climbing a sand dune where each step forward only brings you a half a step back. However, when you get to the top and begin going forward each step forward has gravity working for you. Gravity can be seen as the interest on your money or being debt free. So its only understandable when someone is in expansion mode their profit is invested back into the operation so they can grow. How much you grow and how fast you grow is important because the IRS doesn't like you to lose money every year and the intent of the tax policy is to encourage growth and expansion through deductions so at some point you both sides benefit.

Some never intend to show a profit. Some continue to expand and some simply justify all sorts of deductions based on their WANTS and not NEEDS and many of these WANTS are depreciable assets which are hardly justified if you truly intend to make a profit. I just don't spend it all on me because its not about me but my family. I view myself as merely the caretaker of my children's inheritance so they don't have to start at the bottom of the sand dune and live in a barn like I did when I started. I don't want them to HAVE to grow a garden to eat or have their highlight of their week after working three jobs to sit in the barn with a six pack of cheap beer tallying the mice they killed in their traps. BTW, 16 was my record. I hope my children will see their inheritance as a blessing and I hope they are not so selfish they don't appreciate the sacrifices it took to acquire it and I hope they don't pi$$ it away when they get it but as is often the case, one generation makes it, the next generation holds on to it and the third generation pi$$es it away.

As for helping others, I don't give money to everyone with their hands out. I don't tithe to to the church but what I do is do my homework find those who are deserving and who by no fault of their own deserves help and help them. I have little to know pity for those who complain about their plight in life because I know from experience that in most cases you make your own reality and you can choose to either be the victor or the victim. Its just whether or not you choose to put forth the effort or complain that life isn't fair because its not and never will be.

I understand. I guess we all view things from our own standpoint until we understand others situation. Personally, I'm not rich, so I guess that's why I don't think much about giving money to others. I'm not exactly starving, and I don't have much to complain about, but no extra to play with.

I guess if I were rolling in dough, I'd probably be more like you as well. Right now, if I gave the profits from selling a load of cattle to someone else, the poor-house wagon might as well be behind the cattle trailer to pick me up. Did you make your fortune mostly in cattle, or do you have other things going on?

Herofan what is a fortune? The thing I've tried to stress to my children is there is only about 18 inches difference between a seat in a limousine and a seat on the curb. It doesn't matter how much money you have it doesn't take but a few small things to put your butt on the curb.

I've made money from a lot of ventures. Some were real profitable and others were not so profitable. I really got on my feet when I bought a small trailer and started a landscaping business. I had the trailer and a shovel. This was the same shovel I used to turn my garden with. I make money with cattle and lots of other things. You were talking about buying a tractor. The first tractor I bought I paid for by doing outside work for people. A tractor won't ever pay for itself sitting under a shelter and work will just come to you if you earn the reputation that you will do what you say you'll do. There is a lot of work out there if someone is willing to pursue it and if you please your customers they will send more work to you.
I turn work down now. Wish I was younger. When I was younger I had another venture where I'd make several hundred dollars a day and paid my help the same. It was hard nasty work but it was very rewarding to the few who were willing to do it with me. I've done about everything to make a dollar and don't do anything if its not going to be profitable because there I don't want to sit on that curb. I've been there and don't plan on going back. Even when I was at my poorest, I still helped people though. With the landscaping business I used to cut an old lady's yard for nothing but cookies and milk. She made some good cookies and they would always be fresh out the oven when I finished doing her yard.

boondocks":2xsdl23y said:

I came very close to losing a good job on two different occasions.
One was a sales meeting in a very small room. It was very close quarters and lots of people.
Everyone in there were older and outside sales.
I was simple a parts man and felt inferior and have a real problem with social anxiety, lots of people and crowds.
I left and went back to my job.
I told them they'd could fire me for insubordination but I wasn't going back.
I wasn't fired but was pasted over for promotions for a awhile.
To this day it's still a real struggle to go to those meeting even now that I'm older than several there and my sales are greater than most in the room.
Some think it's BS and say none of us wants to be here or do that but we do it.
I promise it's more than just not wanting to do something.

Jogeephus":24wg4lmp said:
This year, I maxed my IRA contribution, paid the last college tuition and gave my son $10,000 to help him move to Indiana where he is starting his surgical residency. Did all this with cow money. Last year cow money built a barn and bought a new car for an elderly lady who is of no relation to me but needed and deserved reliable ride. Also, if you look back in my posts you will see where a few years ago I sold a load of calves in someone else's name to help them with the child they selflessly adopted. I did this thru an intermediary who was sworn to secrecy so my name wouldn't be mentioned.(Can't have people thinking I'm anything less than a heartless deplorable ba$tard you know) So yeah, there is profit to be made but the real profit isn't in new clothes or televisions its in the good you can do. The good you can do for the land and your community. That to me is what it is all about.
Could you share with us the schematics of your operation? MIG grazing cow\calf?

Thanks, I was afraid I might have said to much and come off as boastful and that wasn't my intent. My intent was there are always other options than selling the farm. To most, a farm is a fortune and its what you do with your fortune is up to you.

The last farm I bought I got from a guy who felt he had to drive a new truck each year. I made that possible but after he saw what I'd done to his farm he offered to buy it back but its not for sale. I won't sell land but I will trade up any day of the week.

It is easy to get money rich quick. You just hook up a U Haul and move to where people have less than you. :nod: It is hard but not impossible to get rich with cow/calf operation. Marrying into money would be easier.

Legacy is different. It gets into experiences, memories, skills, and attitudes including passion. Cattle ranching has legacy written all over it. My sons will never be ranchers, but they are handy and they know how to work.

We all need to find our own balance between money and legacy..

Stocker Steve":2h4qvk4n said:
Legacy is different. It gets into experiences, memories, skills, and attitudes including passion. Cattle ranching has legacy written all over it. My sons will never be ranchers, but they are handy and they know how to work.

I agree, let's just hope no one throws away opportunity before they have it figured out.

I doubt either of my boys will fool with cattle because they both have good jobs that demand all their time. Jury is still out on my daughter. I doubt she will but I think all of them will keep the land because all have sweat equity in it.

Your list of characteristics is what I think is important for the younger generation. The exposure to risks and a degree of self reliance builds the character one needs to pursue agriculture. Some kids haven't this exposure and want to rely on others for their paycheck. About two weeks ago a young man dropped by and had a "man to man" talk with me about his situation and he was looking for guidance. I told him I thought his priorities were wrong and rather than him going into debt to buy the fancy four wheeler he just bought I thought he'd been better off buying a mower and mowing lawns himself rather than working for someone else making $8/hour. Word got back to me that he is now looking to buy a lawnmower BUT he intends to keep the four wheeler so he'll be making payments on both for the next five years! Now I'll surely be blamed for the inevitable train wreck. :bang: :bang:

Jogeephus":4i6zqv2n said:
I doubt either of my boys will fool with cattle because they both have good jobs that demand all their time. Jury is still out on my daughter.

2X

My daughter helps with the books and sends her husband over to work. :D

Jogeephus":1rsalr21 said:
Stocker Steve":1rsalr21 said:

I agree, let's just hope no one throws away opportunity before they have it figured out.

I doubt either of my boys will fool with cattle because they both have good jobs that demand all their time. Jury is still out on my daughter. I doubt she will but I think all of them will keep the land because all have sweat equity in it.

Your list of characteristics is what I think is important for the younger generation. The exposure to risks and a degree of self reliance builds the character one needs to pursue agriculture. Some kids haven't this exposure and want to rely on others for their paycheck. About two weeks ago a young man dropped by and had a "man to man" talk with me about his situation and he was looking for guidance. I told him I thought his priorities were wrong and rather than him going into debt to buy the fancy four wheeler he just bought I thought he'd been better off buying a mower and mowing lawns himself rather than working for someone else making $8/hour. Word got back to me that he is now looking to buy a lawnmower BUT he intends to keep the four wheeler so he'll be making payments on both for the next five years! Now I'll surely be blamed for the inevitable train wreck. :bang: :bang:

Well, it is your fault. :hide:

Latest posts