Cattle Passion/Money

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno stated:

All assets are acquired by cash and are converted to cash. Doesn't matter when bought, sold, used as collateral it only has the present day dollar value when sold until then it is a liability that has to be maintained
Gold has no more purchase power today than twenty years ago neither does land all floats on the value of a dollar.

Business and commerce is conducted across the globe every day on a non-currency basis. By trade, barter, sell/buy transactions, etc.

The concept that assets only have "present day dollars valve when sold" is flat WRONG. You have made that statement elsewhere. Does Intel have ZERO value unless it is sold? Have you ever heard the term "appraisal"?

Where I do agree is the concept that there is "risk" in holding assets whether they be currency or real estate or capital goods. Owning a car is a liability. You cannot avoid that. The biggest investment mistake I made when I retired was holding too much of my assets in currency. The only exception is if you are an international currency trader.

Bright Raven":17chskxh said:
Caustic Burno stated:

All assets are acquired by cash and are converted to cash. Doesn't matter when bought, sold, used as collateral it only has the present day dollar value when sold until then it is a liability that has to be maintained
Gold has no more purchase power today than twenty years ago neither does land all floats on the value of a dollar.

Business and commerce is conducted across the globe every day on a non-currency basis. By trade, barter, sell/buy transactions, etc.

The concept that assets only have "present day dollars valve when sold" is flat WRONG. You have made that statement elsewhere. Does Intel have ZERO value unless it is sold? Have you ever heard the term "appraisal"?

Where I do agree is the concept that there is "risk" in holding assets whether they be currency or real estate or capital goods. Owning a car is a liability. You cannot avoid that. The biggest investment mistake I made when I retired was holding too much of my assets in currency. The only exception is if you are an international currency trader.

It all is still built maintained and sold on a cash basis. Whether bartered or traded a cash value is assigned to what it could be liquidated for.

Caustic Burno":3294ow3t said:
Son of Butch":3294ow3t said:
Cash Is Trash. The world runs on Credit.

Doesn't matter if it is precious metal or crude to cattle futures it is all traded on the value of a dollar.

True. Value is most COMMONLY stated in currency, not necessarily as a dollar, for example, value can be stated in Euros or Pounds.

Currency has value because it can be exchanged for goods and services. All things can be valued.

We've turned the question of profit from cattle into a complicated thing. I'm just wondering if after everyone does whatever it is they do every year to generate an income, which is probably selling calves, do you have money that you can live on and enjoy? Can you use your cattle income to pay your electric bill, buy clothes, go out to eat, get a big screen tv, eat daily, and all that good stuff? That's what I call profit.

This year, I maxed my IRA contribution, paid the last college tuition and gave my son $10,000 to help him move to Indiana where he is starting his surgical residency. Did all this with cow money. Last year cow money built a barn and bought a new car for an elderly lady who is of no relation to me but needed and deserved reliable ride. Also, if you look back in my posts you will see where a few years ago I sold a load of calves in someone else's name to help them with the child they selflessly adopted. I did this thru an intermediary who was sworn to secrecy so my name wouldn't be mentioned.(Can't have people thinking I'm anything less than a heartless deplorable ba$tard you know) So yeah, there is profit to be made but the real profit isn't in new clothes or televisions its in the good you can do. The good you can do for the land and your community. That to me is what it is all about.

Jogeephus":1thm13yy said:
This year, I maxed my IRA contribution, paid the last college tuition and gave my son $10,000 to help him move to Indiana where he is starting his surgical residency. Did all this with cow money. Last year cow money built a barn and bought a new car for an elderly lady who is of no relation to me but needed and deserved reliable ride. Also, if you look back in my posts you will see where a few years ago I sold a load of calves in someone else's name to help them with the child they selflessly adopted. I did this thru an intermediary who was sworn to secrecy so my name wouldn't be mentioned.(Can't have people thinking I'm anything less than a heartless deplorable ba$tard you know) So yeah, there is profit to be made but the real profit isn't in new clothes or televisions its in the good you can do. The good you can do for the land and your community. That to me is what it is all about.

Need more people like you.

I just read a news line that came across my phone about Warren Buffett's charitable activities and the donations and money he raises to help the poor. I lived several years in the heart of downtown Denver. I got an education in human dysfunction. There are people who are simply "dysfunctional" and they lack the aptitude to succeed in our culture. Many are alcoholics or victims of some other addictive behavior. I frequently engaged these people in conversation and I often gave them money or took them to McDonald's to buy their meal so I knew it was not going toward alcohol. We often hear the rhetoric about deadbeats. There are many who fit that label but there are also people with defects in their mental wiring that are simply "dysfunctional". They find their way to the streets and homeless lifestyle. What I have concluded is that no one fails because they set that as their objective. They fail because they are often simply "dysfunctional".

Bright Raven":tgx4xww3 said:
We often hear the rhetoric about deadbeats. There are many who fit that label but there are also
people with defects in their mental wiring that are simply "dysfunctional".

They find their way to the streets and homeless lifestyle.
What I have concluded is that no one fails because they set that as their objective.
They fail because they are often simply "dysfunctional".
Dysfunction... as it is written... woe unto those who join house upon house.
Be it animal or human, when flesh is over crowded, fighting, disease and other woes follow.
Man was not made for crowded cities and the man made pollution that comes with it.

My theory is the increasing dysfunction we see today in human 'mental wiring' has a root cause related to chemical
pollution of our air, land and water in addition to those who pollute their own brain chemistry with drug use.
Inadvertently polluting our bodies with chemicals in the air we breathe and in the water we might be drinking does not
just harm ourselves, but the brain chemistry of our children and grandchildren too. Just my opinion.

D2Cat":11yj2z4r said:
So whatever "failing" is...is caused by being "dysfunctional", whatever that is? Is being lazy a dysfunction? :???:

Yes. The lack of motivation (lazy) is a result of being "dysfunctional". I use dysfunctional broadly. What I have seen is people who cannot deal with normal life stresses and their emotions. They cannot get along in a social environment. The root is obviously mental. Depression and anxiety, etc.

If you are having problems with the term "dysfunctional", I understand. My purpose is only to draw a distinction between those who Cannot function and those who are "deadbeats".

Bright Raven":jwk79bcq said:
I just read a news line that came across my phone about Warren Buffett's charitable activities and the donations and money he raises to help the poor. I lived several years in the heart of downtown Denver. I got an education in human dysfunction. There are people who are simply "dysfunctional" and they lack the aptitude to succeed in our culture. Many are alcoholics or victims of some other addictive behavior. I frequently engaged these people in conversation and I often gave them money or took them to McDonald's to buy their meal so I knew it was not going toward alcohol. We often hear the rhetoric about deadbeats. There are many who fit that label but there are also people with defects in their mental wiring that are simply "dysfunctional". They find their way to the streets and homeless lifestyle. What I have concluded is that no one fails because they set that as their objective. They fail because they are often simply "dysfunctional".
That's where we differ. Anybody ask me for a dollar for a cup of coffee will probably get turned down. Ask me for two bucks for a beer and I'll probably give it to you just because you were honest. :mrgreen: :nod: :nod:

Only thing wrong with most younger generation folks is that from infancy they were allowed to continue to think and act as infants. Never made to gradually mature and accept any sort of responsibility and seldom told "NO". Not to mention most got put in "time out" instead of getting a few good a$$ whippings

TexasBred":2yr4s2c9 said:
Only thing wrong with most younger generation folks is that from infancy they were allowed to continue to think and act as infants. Never made to gradually mature and accept any sort of responsibility and seldom told "NO". Not to mention most got put in "time out" instead of getting a few good a$$ whippings

TB. There is a whole lot of fact in that statement. I know kids in the 6 th and 7 th grade that act like toddlers.

Bright Raven":3bbykmnq said:
D2Cat":3bbykmnq said:
So whatever "failing" is...is caused by being "dysfunctional", whatever that is? Is being lazy a dysfunction? :???:

Yes. The lack of motivation (lazy) is a result of being "dysfunctional". I use dysfunctional broadly. What I have seen is people who cannot deal with normal life stresses and their emotions. They cannot get along in a social environment. The root is obviously mental. Depression and anxiety, etc.

If you are having problems with the term "dysfunctional", I understand. My purpose is only to draw a distinction between those who Cannot function and those who are "deadbeats".

I feel for the dysfunctional - homeless, most don't want or care for the government. But have no pity on the deadbeats and freeloaders living and breeding on the taxpayers dime.

Agree with Son of Butch that we may be harming our brains with environmental and other chemicals. Also agree with Raven that some ppl just aren't very stable mentally from the get-go. I took a community college class 2 years ago to brush up on anatomy and physiology (yes I'm a nerd). There were students that had such bad anxiety they couldn't sit still and take a test for an hour. One of the young women was a star soccer player but couldn't sit thru an hour lecture without leaving for a bit. It was sad and eye=opening; I realized how lucky ppl without serious mental issues are. You can be smart as you want but if your mind/spirit is never calm, you're not gonna get very far...

Latest posts