Cattle Passion/Money

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":2gddtxcd said:
Bright Raven":2gddtxcd said:
herofan":2gddtxcd said:
Wow. I've heard of threads getting off topic, but I thought I had clicked on the wrong thread. I think I clicked on with a comment about having cattle for money or passion, but at this point, I don't think anyone would even know what I was talking about.

How about that War of 1812? Any thoughts.

Caustic probably fought in it so he can take that one. :lol:

You'll notice that CB comes from a long line of great warriors who bravely fought for the causes of their day, he unfortunately did not carry on the family tradition.

I don't agree. He fought bravely today. Afterall, that "Booger eater" bombshell goes all the way back to the first grade!

TennesseeTuxedo":2h10icst said:
Bright Raven":2h10icst said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2h10icst said:
Booger eating moron to be precise.

What surprised me was slandering the horse I rode in on. Why he wants to #### the horse I rode in on is sick!

That's a very slippery slope. I'm not a very good skier so I'll stay off that one.

I hope he feels better tomorrow. He just got a little upset. He has a hard time coping with anyone who challenges his views. Something we all need to work on.

herofan":1ld0dd8t said:
We've turned the question of profit from cattle into a complicated thing. I'm just wondering if after everyone does whatever it is they do every year to generate an income, which is probably selling calves, do you have money that you can live on and enjoy? Can you use your cattle income to pay your electric bill, buy clothes, go out to eat, get a big screen tv, eat daily, and all that good stuff? That's what I call profit.

In short, no. The cows cover their costs, leave me with a little extra to do something nice for the Mrs., supply a side for the freezer, and build a small reserve that accumulates annually. But to live on? Nope. Small time hobby guy w/ 25-30 cows running on ground not suitable for row crops(read sand knobs and muck holes).
Just want to say, I thought Jo put a very thoughtful, intelligent post out there( as he typically does on this topic) and I have reread it several times because it's chock full of wisdom..much like one he posted a year or so ago about making your situation work for you instead of fighting it and yourself. Been trying to implement more of that line of thinking around here.

Also, economy of scale hurts the small guy like myself..but idk if I could expand much more without taking on debt load and make it profitable due to my location/environment, current land costs(row crops are king and keep land prices strong. Renting pasture just isnt a real option here compared to other parts of the world) i have wrestled w/ getting out of cow /calf and doing something else, but stockers arent as plentiful here. Plus, I really enjoy the cows and learning each of them. It really varies from region to region..and so do the opportunities to be productive. What works in Tx, may not work here, or Oh. And vice versa. Being able to recognize an opportunity in your area is paramount.

bball":n6epxguy said:
herofan":n6epxguy said:
We've turned the question of profit from cattle into a complicated thing. I'm just wondering if after everyone does whatever it is they do every year to generate an income, which is probably selling calves, do you have money that you can live on and enjoy? Can you use your cattle income to pay your electric bill, buy clothes, go out to eat, get a big screen tv, eat daily, and all that good stuff? That's what I call profit.

In short, no. The cows cover their costs, leave me with a little extra to do something nice for the Mrs., supply a side for the freezer, and build a small reserve that accumulates annually. But to live on? Nope. Small time hobby guy w/ 25-30 cows running on ground not suitable for row crops(read sand knobs and muck holes).
Just want to say, I thought Jo put a very thoughtful, intelligent post out there( as he typically does on this topic) and I have reread it several times because it's chock full of wisdom..much like one he posted a year or so ago about making your situation work for you instead of fighting it and yourself. Been trying to implement more of that line of thinking around here.

Thanks for the reply. I would have to make a profit equal to the size of the operation to be satisfied. I currently have 20 head, so I'm obviously not getting rich, but I'm satisfied with what I make for that number. My workload and expenses is not what it would be if I had 200 head, so I'm good.

I can't understand someone who breaks their back everyday with a large operation, yet they claim they don't mke much.

Speaking of equipment. Last week I did some outside work for someone with a tractor I bought in 2002. I gave $17,000 for it then and have used it for haying and other things. Anyhow, someone asked if I'd do some work for them and I spent a day and a half on the property and made just under a thousand dollars for my trouble. They couldn't justify buying a tractor themselves so we both came out winners and both are happy. There is a lot of work like out there if people know who to call and you have a good reputation. What I'm saying is a tractor doesn't have to be a dead cost to your operation. It can be a money maker if you work it right.

dieselbeef":b6n74u5x said:
everyone wants to borrow it or ''do me a favor''... til the boat needs washing then everyone is gone...get my drift jo?

If it runs on gas or diesel and uses oil I don't loan it out. I learned that the hard way after a fellow broke this tractor in into two pieces. I may be slow but I do learn.

Jogeephus":30j84nin said:
dieselbeef":30j84nin said:
everyone wants to borrow it or ''do me a favor''... til the boat needs washing then everyone is gone...get my drift jo?

If it runs on gas or diesel and uses oil I don't loan it out. I learned that the hard way after a fellow broke this tractor in into two pieces. I may be slow but I do learn.

Amen. You just have to drawn the line on somethings.

A guy contracted rock delivered then smoothed it out and spent two days mulching brush.
It wasn't cheap but he did a good job and I was happy. He told me what the skid steer, mulcher, trailer, dually pickup cost and I thought he worked too cheap

Cross-7":1ezdip5m said:
A guy contracted rock delivered then smoothed it out and spent two days mulching brush.
It wasn't cheap but he did a good job and I was happy. He told me what the skid steer, mulcher, trailer, dually pickup cost and I thought he worked too cheap

Do you know the hourly rate of a mulcher? Here its about $125/hour

400 a day to rent one....cost me all the hrs I wanted over a weekend for 1000 bucks...rained the whole time...was good til I fell getting out of the cab and broke 2 ribs...sucked hauling it back on monday

Jogeephus":33utn2ua said:
Cross-7":33utn2ua said:

90.00 an hour is what he charged me but covered lots of mesquite ground.

Cross-7":3nax1v8t said:
Jogeephus":3nax1v8t said:
Cross-7":3nax1v8t said:

90.00 an hour is what he charged me but covered lots of mesquite ground.

Most of the private contractors charge around $125 but the Forestry Commission bought several and they only charge $90/hour.

If it runs on gas or diesel and uses oil I don't borrow it.
If it breaks, or I lose it somehow, I have to fix or replace it with a new one and I still won't have one.

Latest posts