Cattle Experts

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":1s3iq2ng said:
dun":1s3iq2ng said:
Caustic Burno":1s3iq2ng said:
The closest I have read or met to a true Cattle expert would have to be dun Texan or Bez.
Lot of difference in an expert and expeirenced.

Not me! I've just got diverse experience. Know a little about a lot.

And I do have one that has me stumped got a six year old cow gets the symtoms of ergot or foot rot in the left rear foot.
Hit her with La200 clears up about 2 to 3 weeks and its back.
Keep iodine out 365 no other cows with foot rot or any signs of foot problem. Have squeezed her and checked that foot out a half dozen times she knows how to operate the chute by herself. I am fixing to hit her with nuflour and if that doesn't clear it up she is off to Hormel.

Abcess in the hoof. There have been a lot of good cows culled because they stepped on a little something, got a minute infection in the hoof, it grew over the abcess, and the owner didn't take time to have the hoof examined and/or treated properly.

Or it could be Hairy Heel Warts.

This is where you might save $50 only to lose $1000.

Lack of management and a total waste of good antibiotics. Don't quit your day job. :lol:

Caustic Burno":2gaxohw4 said:
Thats a new one on me now here is a question and the reason I didn't rule out ergot, this year the bahia and dallas grass has been nuts here loaded with seed heads.
Have you every seen it where only one cow has a problem with ergot and reoccur I haven't.

We haen;t had a problem with fescue foot in any of our cattle. A neighbor did with a bunch he brought in from Nebraska. They'ld never been on fescue before so the endophyte really go to them. The difference between here and your problem with possible ergot is that endophyte is a constant issue rather then a once in a while kind of thing. We learned a long time ago to not buy any heifers that weren;t raised on fescue. That's the reason we don;t see the problem with our cows.
I din;t realize that your tropical grasses had the possibility of getting anything tooxic on them other then maybe rust. I've never dealt with any of the domestic WSGs other then the occasional spot in a field were we fed hay that had bermuda in it.
In other words, no help here

Latest posts