Cattle Experts

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, never have been, never will be.

Ever met someone who knows cattle inside and out? I can count the number of true cattle folks that I've met in person in my head. Not one of them is arrogant or boastful. Not one of them totes on his/her experiences nor talks down to folks just starting out. Not one of them is loud or obnoxious or drives a $50k truck.

There are plenty of folks out there (and on here) who like to pretend to be one, you know who you are and you're not fooling anybody.

cfpinz

BUT....
it says on cattletoday that i'm a GURU.
*scratching head emoticon*

cfpinz":34y7pefk said:
I'm not an expert, never have been, never will be.

Ever met someone who knows cattle inside and out? I can count the number of true cattle folks that I've met in person in my head. Not one of them is arrogant or boastful. Not one of them totes on his/her experiences nor talks down to folks just starting out. Not one of them is loud or obnoxious or drives a $50k truck.

There are plenty of folks out there (and on here) who like to pretend to be one, you know who you are and you're not fooling anybody.

cfpinz

Good post.

There aren't any that know cattle inside and out.

There is always something to learn.

Beefy":2qiez0yg said:
BUT....
it says on cattletoday that i'm a GURU.
*scratching head emoticon*

And in your Moms eyes you always will be.
Heck the rest of us like you to.
Just not in the unhealthy MikeC loves frankie
sort of way.... :shock:

I think anyone who truly makes their living solely from the earth has had enough humbling experiences to temper their attitude. I feel confident that most seasoned cattlemen will tell you there are very few absolutes in this business and you cannot use a cookie cutter approach on each and every operation. There are just too many variables.

As for the little flashes in the pan, I do enjoy listening to their speeches of grandour at the feed store. It is right entertaining.

As for the $50,000 trucks, I'm not driving one but am afraid the next one I buy will cost me in this neighborhood. Hopefully, I can get another five years or so out of mine. They sure are getting proud of them. :shock:

Jogeephus":3v3gpom0 said:
As for the $50,000 trucks, I'm not driving one but am afraid the next one I buy will cost me in this neighborhood.

$50.ooo is a drop in the bucket now a days.Talk about more like 70-80 if you want the top of the line 1 tonn.I guess you have to take into consideration that a lot of these Hotshots have inherited everything and don't know what it's like to make a good hard buck.I think they would Sh*t their pants if they had to buy land like some of us have had to to.

Jogeephus":1002d32e said:
I think anyone who truly makes their living solely from the earth has had enough humbling experiences to temper their attitude. I feel confident that most seasoned cattlemen will tell you there are very few absolutes in this business and you cannot use a cookie cutter approach on each and every operation. There are just too many variables.

Truer words were never spoken. You have a way of putting thoughts into words that I lack.

As for the little flashes in the pan, I do enjoy listening to their speeches of grandour at the feed store. It is right entertaining.

As for the $50,000 trucks, I'm not driving one but am afraid the next one I buy will cost me in this neighborhood. Hopefully, I can get another five years or so out of mine. They sure are getting proud of them. :shock:

When you get aholt of that hot-rod retirement truck you've been dreaming about, stop by on your cross-country trip and visit. And bring Beefy with you, he needs to get out more.

cfpinz

When I joined this forum, I was up front about never having owned a head of cattle in my life. Still am. I didn't even consider coming up with a story and trying to fake my way through it. First, it's dishonest. Second, most of you would see through it in a heartbeat.

That being said, even though my experiences on the farm were many years ago, I thought I knew a lot about cattle. A couple of months on here taught me real quick that I don't know diddly squat compared to most of you, and never will. While I reserve the right to express an opinion from time to time, I don't feel qualified to give advice that might affect someone's livelyhood. If any of you see me doing that, feel free to slap me up side the head a couple of times.

I do, however, know enough to be able to spot a phony, both on here and in real life. It's one thing to take something off the internet and put it on here because we might find it interesting or helpful. It's another to google something and then try to pass it off as personal experience. I suspect that happens on here from time to time, and I believe most of us can see through it pretty quick. OK, I'm done.

P.S. That whole Caustic thing really caught me by surprise, so I guess I should say I can't spot a phony every time. ;-)

My real life mentor usually starts our conversations after not seeing each other for a while with stories of the stupid stunts he's pulled or the mistakes he's made with cattle recently. The guy is close to 60, has grown up with both beef and dairy and usually has close to 100 limo cows.

Folks come to his yard to buy his calves at premium prices, yet he never brags. He drives a $50,000 truck but wears it out in a few years hauling equipment and cattle for folks.

The internet and these boards are great tools and we are lucky to have them, but you have to have the real life to take the theoretical and put it in perspective, and apply it to hugely variable growing and marketing conditions.( Which can exist even on one farm over time ).

I truly believe that most cattlemen would just simply say that there is no such thing as a cattle expert.

VanC, your opinions, as well as the opinions of many others on how to raise cattle have been helpful to me. I may not agree with everything posted is right for my operation but does give me ideas that I might employ in whole or in part.

I think Macon has created an excellent tool when he made this board. Just like any tool, it can be used for its intended purpose or for alterior purposes - the end use is left up to us.

I do wish more people would feel free to post their ideas without the fear of the dogs getting on them.

i am often reminded how little i truely know when i read on this site. and i thank you for that reminder of humility. but for me it is hard to sometimes to figure who knows what they are talking about and who are the BS'ers cause some of those BS'ers are good. I guess that comes with time.
What is the "Caustic thing"?

My vet is probably the closest that I know to being an expert. He has an amazing memory, spends a lot of time learning everything knew and has seen a lot. There are two things that make me respect him more than his knowledge though. He will say "I don't know" if he doesn't and he is willing to impart whatever knowledge he has in a way that doesn't make you feel stupid.

Most of the seasoned GURU cattlemen I currently know, and have known before they passed on, never sat down to a keyboard their whole life.

As a child and young adult, cattle did not interest me. It was work, for little return, with mother nature and Murphy's Laws always going against you. I had no intention of ever owning cattle. At that time I should have paid very close attention. Those old timers could say an awful lot in just a few words.

I am thankful for the things that were shared.

backhoeboogie":17d512fa said:
Most of the seasoned GURU cattlemen I currently know, and have known before they passed on, never sat down to a keyboard their whole life.

As a child and young adult, cattle did not interest me. It was work, for little return, with mother nature and Murphy's Laws always going against you. I had no intention of ever owning cattle. At that time I should have paid very close attention. Those old timers could say an awful lot in just a few words.

I am thankful for the things that were shared.
most all my life ive ran with seasoned dairyman an cattleman.an not a one of them would sitt at a computer an talk about cattle.they even give me the devil because i get on here an post.the oldtimes could teach you things without talking.

P.S. That whole Caustic thing really caught me by surprise, so I guess I should say I can't spot a phony every time.
I have not been on here for awhile....did I miss something?
not much just that burno wasnt real.he was campgrounds alter ego.based on a crusty cattleman friends of camps.

bigbull338":2zq943tf said:
P.S. That whole Caustic thing really caught me by surprise, so I guess I should say I can't spot a phony every time.
I have not been on here for awhile....did I miss something?
not much just that burno wasnt real.he was campgrounds alter ego.based on a crusty cattleman friends of camps.

Sigh........!

Latest posts