Cattle Experts

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown":n0yvllcu said:
$50.ooo is a drop in the bucket now a days.Talk about more like 70-80 if you want the top of the line 1 tonn.I guess you have to take into consideration that a lot of these Hotshots have inherited everything and don't know what it's like to make a good hard buck.I think they would Sh*t their pants if they had to buy land like some of us have had to to.

You can get a fleet vehicle for less than $30k. It has the same drive train as the more expensive versions.

I think we payed $27,500 for a F450.

bigbull338":p41aqash said:
not much just that burno wasnt real.he was campgrounds alter ego.based on a crusty cattleman friends of camps.

Some folks don't believe that statement is true?

I'd have to say that 99% of the "Real Cattlemen" I know, dont own a computer, dont have Satellite or Cable, and for some reason dont even have long distance service on their telephones. they own their land free and clear and most all drive old trucks.

Wewild":lq81s461 said:
hillsdown":lq81s461 said:
$50.ooo is a drop in the bucket now a days.Talk about more like 70-80 if you want the top of the line 1 tonn.I guess you have to take into consideration that a lot of these Hotshots have inherited everything and don't know what it's like to make a good hard buck.I think they would Sh*t their pants if they had to buy land like some of us have had to to.

You can get a fleet vehicle for less than $30k. It has the same drive train as the more expensive versions.

Last week I priced a new oxford white Dodge dually with a black stakebody steel flatbed and heavy duty trailer hitch at $29500 with no haggling or negotiation (MSRP -model closeout rebate). The ones I liked better (with extended cab, underbed tool boxes, builtin gooseneck hitch) were at $34,000. I now these guys and if I throw down cash they WOULD come off at least $2000. Too actually spend $50,000 on a pickup you must be paying for leather, tinted windows, dvd players, crew cab, chrome rims, power windows and door locks, carpet, fog lamps, backup cameras, satellite communications, and a customized hand painted motiff of a half naked gal with a sword riding a dragon!

Brandonm2":tdcp0x1d said:
Wewild":tdcp0x1d said:
hillsdown":tdcp0x1d said:

Last week I priced a new oxford white Dodge dually with a black stakebody steel flatbed and heavy duty trailer hitch at $29500 with no haggling or negotiation (MSRP -model closeout rebate). The ones I liked better (with extended cab, underbed tool boxes, builtin gooseneck hitch) were at $34,000. I now these guys and if I throw down cash they WOULD come off at least $2000. Too actually spend $50,000 on a pickup you must be paying for leather, tinted windows, dvd players, crew cab, chrome rims, power windows and door locks, carpet, fog lamps, backup cameras, satellite communications, and a customized hand painted motiff of a half naked gal with a sword riding a dragon!

Maybe hillsdown buys land at the same value he buys a truck?

That cash flow wouldn't work around here. More power to him trying to help out the industry. He has obviously been successful in his previous adventures.

I don't consider myself a cattle expert in any way, shape, or form. I do kinda own a $50,000 truck though. It just happened to have 200,000+ miles and a $3000 price tag when I got it! :)

fit2btied":38sfm8sy said:
I don't consider myself a cattle expert in any way, shape, or form. I do kinda own a $50,000 truck though. It just happened to have 200,000+ miles and a $3000 price tag when I got it! :)

If you can clean out the floor board with a water hose ... then it is a real truck.

Or maybe is just the way I have been raised.

Brandonm2 said:
Wewild said:
Maybe hillsdown buys land at the same value he buys a truck?

We acutally live in Alberta Canada and a 1/4 section of land goes for the 1 mill mark (bare pasture goes for 3-5 hundred).A condo in a moderate city goes for 350,ooo.Just bought a 1 ton dodge loaded, at fleet price and it it still was 68,000.I guess that is the price you pay to live in Alberta.

Wewild":3nan7e4m said:
cfpinz":3nan7e4m said:
I'm not an expert, never have been, never will be.

Ever met someone who knows cattle inside and out? I can count the number of true cattle folks that I've met in person in my head. Not one of them is arrogant or boastful. Not one of them totes on his/her experiences nor talks down to folks just starting out. Not one of them is loud or obnoxious or drives a $50k truck.

There are plenty of folks out there (and on here) who like to pretend to be one, you know who you are and you're not fooling anybody.

cfpinz

There aren't any that know cattle inside and out.

There are a few - I've never had the opportunity to meet them, but I've heard about them.

hillsdown":gd7w1fcz said:
Wewild":gd7w1fcz said:
Maybe hillsdown buys land at the same value he buys a truck?.

We acutally live in Alberta Canada and a 1/4 section of land goes for the 1 mill mark (bare pasture goes for 3-5 hundred).A condo in a moderate city goes for 350,ooo.Just bought a 1 ton dodge loaded, at fleet price and it it still was 68,000.I guess that is the price you pay to live in Alberta.

Heck, Alabama ain't Florida, but this week I read in the local paper that a commercial developer just paid 4 million U.S.$ for a 26 acre, Mexican trailerpark on my road......(I can vaquely remember when that was a small part of a nice Brangus ranch). There is always somebody with money they got no good use for. Your problem with your truck is that you are buying "fully loaded". I want the truck without all the bells, whistles, decorations, and gadgets.

I know little about Canada. It is also quite possible that your govt has some kind of fuel economy taxes or tariffs added to your purchase price. Hidden taxes like that COULD be part of the problem as well as the exchange rate....though I thought the U.S. dollar was WEAK right now.

Well Brandonm, My wifes truck is almost ten years old and it was around the 40+ mark when we bought it new.Not loaded but most of the stuff.You can not buy a new pick up even plain jane here for under 60 grand.That is the economy here, so be it.

cfpinz said:
I'm not an expert, never have been, never will be.

Ever met someone who knows cattle inside and out? I can count the number of true cattle folks that I've met in person in my head. Not one of them is arrogant or boastful. Not one of them totes on his/her experiences nor talks down to folks just starting out. Not one of them is loud or obnoxious or drives a $50k truck.

There are plenty of folks out there (and on here) who like to pretend to be one, you know who you are and you're not fooling anybody.

ROCKSPRINGS

One of the few post that TnMasterBeeProducer has not

responded to...Wonder why :?:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've heard a lot of talk on the Boards over time about "old timers" being smart cattlemen / cattlewomen. But I got to thinking about this.. and although there certainly are some older folks that are knowledgeable, I think we're all forgetting that there are also some smart young'uns too! A lot of knowledge out there for anyone willing to learn.

Some of the old timers I've know were not good cattlemen at all.

Well I consider myself an X spurt as I am a retired drip!
And I sometimes call my self an X spurt farmer as I am retire from being outstanding in my field.
rof13.gif

SL

Romance on the farm.
What did the plow say to the tractor?
Pull me a little closer, John Deere!

SL
realitycheck-1.gif

A few folks have mentioned how computer savvy has not been a part in the make up of their "experts" or almost experts.

But in my time there is a person ( I hope he is one person ) who comes as close to an expert as I have seen.

Any board, beginners, breeds,grasses and pastures - you know what I mean - the guy is there.

Real life or cyber real - the guy is awesome. Just because you can turn on a computer and type intelligently with respect and decency doesn't mean you are not approaching expert status. :lol:

To my generation the computer is not friendly, I can't even program my truck radio. I guess that makes me an idiot to some degree. I do know I read a lot more bad advice on this board than good. Most are pushing their agenda.

Capt Call":2gxt0wav said:
To my generation the computer is not friendly, I can't even program my truck radio. I guess that makes me an idiot to some degree. I do know I read a lot more bad advice on this board than good. Most are pushing their agenda.

Are you claiming to be an expert?

You called yourself idiot, we didn't.

No guts to correct the bad advice, or are we not worth your time?

What's your agenda?

Get her out in the open, don't drag the lies out.

Latest posts