Cattle Experts

Help Support CattleToday:

Although I once typed it was 50 years ago, so I use the hunt and peck method. To make matters worse I sometimes have a senior moment while I'm typing. :lol: 8)

Jogeephus":2z1e2h7o said:
I do wish more people would feel free to post their ideas without the fear of the dogs getting on them.

I can't really disagree with you on this. Just wanted to point out that the back and forth and disagreements regarding cattle are very helpful for the newb like myself. I can't read these posts and wade through the BS because I don't know very much about cattle. Sometimes the lively back and forth is very educational. For example the preconditioning thread has really got me to thinking about my program. Since there is so much disagreement I think I'll do a test run and see if I can come up with my own assesment.

Walt

We shouldn't be scared to disagree. Maybe we should just do it politley.

The definition of an expert (in any subject) is the person that has the phone number of the person wth the answer.

dun":tu43sqma said:
The definition of an expert (in any subject) is the person that has the phone number of the person wth the answer.

So you're the one making those obscene phone calls to my wife!

cfpinz":3hajuy7b said:
dun":3hajuy7b said:

So you're the one making those obscene phone calls to my wife!

I figured if I asked if the coast was clear you'ld just figure it was the weather bureau

My neighbor came over yesterday when I called him and finished cutting my hay [ my mower broke,had to work today,supposed to rain tomorrow], when we get an ice storm this winter Ill give him another call [he doesnt live next to me just has cattle ] and Ill tell him john just stay at the house, they are already fed. He may not be an expert cattleman but he is a great neihbor. Anytime someone tells me on here or in person that their way of doing something is the ONLY way of doing it then I know they are full of it. There are too many variables for one approach to a problem, and just because "THATS THE WAY WEVE ALWAYS DONE IT" is not a good answer to a question even if the person has been doing it for 60 yrs. Even a genius can learn something from an idiot. I hope that this board can get back to what I think it was intended for in spite of recent experiences, in other words,take the high road,put it to rest, let it be,BE A GOOD NEIHBOR. IM GONNA PUT ME TO REST, started at 6 am.

Wewild":y6c3adpc said:
fit2btied":y6c3adpc said:
I don't consider myself a cattle expert in any way, shape, or form. I do kinda own a $50,000 truck though. It just happened to have 200,000+ miles and a $3000 price tag when I got it! :)

If you can clean out the floor board with a water hose ... then it is a real truck.

Or maybe is just the way I have been raised.

Shucks, I blow the cow poop off of the floor with a water hose when it is brand new. If it has carpet, it has to be taken out.

I won't buy a truck that is painted up like an easter egg either. They balked on taking the carpet out of this one and I almost didn't buy it. They finally agreed to it but I had to leave that 4 by 4 emblem on the back quarter panels. I hate it.

I had a very wise old man tell me one day what an expert was:

ex - has been
pert - flippantly cocky

So I never wanted to be one. :)

ALX.":3o8izlp8 said:
Capt Call":3o8izlp8 said:
To my generation the computer is not friendly, I can't even program my truck radio. I guess that makes me an idiot to some degree. I do know I read a lot more bad advice on this board than good. Most are pushing their agenda.

Are you claiming to be an expert?

You called yourself idiot, we didn't.

No guts to correct the bad advice, or are we not worth your time?

What's your agenda?

Get her out in the open, don't drag the lies out.

Not worth the time to argue with.
Never claimed to be a expert.

Well, since VanC tells us he don't own any cattle, didn't know anything about them till he got here, I think we should help edumacate him with some OJT.

Van, you can makes the rounds. I am sure there are those who will put you up for a while for your OJT. I need some fences replaced, a new barn built, part of a fence perimeter cleared, need some new tags in the cows ears, got a tractor or two that could use some work too. Once you get all that done, we can work some cattle stuff. :lol:

flaboy?":1d7exkf9 said:
Well, since VanC tells us he don't own any cattle, didn't know anything about them till he got here, I think we should help edumacate him with some OJT.

Van, you can makes the rounds. I am sure there are those who will put you up for a while for your OJT. I need some fences replaced, a new barn built, part of a fence perimeter cleared, need some new tags in the cows ears, got a tractor or two that could use some work too. Once you get all that done, we can work some cattle stuff. :lol:

Can I be second? I would love to have Van help out for a few months!

NEXT! :lol:

I have never met an all around expert in the cattle business.

I think every one has their system that they are happy with, cow/ calf, registered, comercial, feed lot... what ever.

What is good for one is not good for another...so much diversification and variables in the cattle business.

Bullbuyer":1oumnusg said:
I'd really like to contribute something meaningful right now but I think cf's first post on this thread was a real good summation of the topic.

That is exactly why he is part of our traveling butterscotch act. :lol:

Bullbuyer":1k9hpvts said:
fla -
If cf is here for his brains and I'm here for my stunning good looks and witty conversation - what's your role?

Oh no BB, I thought fla was here to buy the rounds. I shoulda stopped off at the ATM on the way in. :lol:

At work we say that the definition of an expert is someone who is more than 50 miles from home when talking to you.

Which means I should be considered an expert by most of the people here. Of course all those same people would be experts when replying to me to tell me I am full of it.

flaboy?":1bmupgfv said:

Hang on there, bud!! :lol: I never said I knew NOTHING about cattle, just not much compared to most of you. I've done all those things you mentioned (except the new barn) but it was a lot of years ago. Seriously, I wouldn't mind a little refresher course now and then if I were closer.

P.S. Doctor says I can't do any work before noon or after 4:00 PM. Would that be a problem? 8)

Van since you're only about an hour or two from me you can get all the experience you want here. Heck we might even be able to learn how to do some of the things that have suggested we should do. ;-) ;-)

Oh by the way 12:00 to 4:00 is fine since I'll still be at work and the better half will be around to supervise (she is a tough one to).

Latest posts