Cattle Experts

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Guy":1d6znrpx said:
Van since you're only about an hour or two from me you can get all the experience you want here. Heck we might even be able to learn how to do some of the things that have suggested we should do. ;-) ;-)

I forgot to say the doctor forbids me from working with black cattle. Kinds of cuts down on my options around here, don't it? ;-)

Angus Guy":6e0crc16 said:
Oh by the way 12:00 to 4:00 is fine since I'll still be at work and the better half will be around to supervise (she is a tough one to).

Sounds good, as long as her name isn't Frankie or Alice. I'm scared to death of women named Frankie or Alice. 8)

VanC":wi0i1cy7 said:
Angus Guy":wi0i1cy7 said:
Oh by the way 12:00 to 4:00 is fine since I'll still be at work and the better half will be around to supervise (she is a tough one to).

Sounds good, as long as her name isn't Frankie or Alice. I'm scared to death of women named Frankie or Alice. 8)

Van
My respect for your wisdom grows with every post.....

ALL women scare me alittle, thats why I like em so much.

MD

VanC":2kq8sgz7 said:
Angus Guy":2kq8sgz7 said:

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

As well you should be.... ;-)

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Alice

VanC":34ggz6bp said:
Angus Guy":34ggz6bp said:
Van since you're only about an hour or two from me you can get all the experience you want here. Heck we might even be able to learn how to do some of the things that have suggested we should do. ;-) ;-)

I forgot to say the doctor forbids me from working with black cattle. Kinds of cuts down on my options around here, don't it? ;-)

Not at all - there are quite a few people in your state that raise Greys, you might want to check them out! ;-) :lol: :lol:

VanC":2olae0x1 said:

That won't be a problem Van. Take a look. If necessary I rent them out to folks who want a little color in there herd.
:lol:

mix.jpg

Bullbuyer":16f9o9al said:
fla -
If cf is here for his brains and I'm here for my stunning good looks and witty conversation - what's your role?

I'm the bling! I also manage our appearances and negotiate fees. Have you forgot about the booking I got us at Bubba's Bar and Outhouse?

Dave":1luyt3ts said:
At work we say that the definition of an expert is someone who is more than 50 miles from home when talking to you.

Which means I should be considered an expert by most of the people here. Of course all those same people would be experts when replying to me to tell me I am full of it.

Always heard an ex was a has-been and a spert was a drip under extreme pressure.

I bought 52 head today , well I took them in on a trade more or less, from this old man in coveralls. I went to his farm which was a typical old man farm. He had two of everything ever made setting in his pasture with grass as tall as it was.

We walked through his herd and did a headcount and when we were done I had to ask him "how the helll they all looked so good."

He said "they just look like cows should look."

I went further and asked about his nuitriton program and he asks me "whats that".

I went on to ask what he feed them and he says "your walking all over it" and I said "grass" and he said ", well... yow".

I went further and asked him about what he suppliments and he says "supliwhats?"

He said "look here youngster" your trying to make cattle raising too diffulcult. Grow them good grass in the summer and feed them plenty of hay in the winter. I then said "hay and what in the winter" and then he says " there you go again youngin".

He told me if you feed out of feed sacks youl'll go broke and every once in awhile he'll give them a little bit of solids along with hay in the winter, but thats it!I did notice some salt blocks here and there but not feed sacks or licks or anything of that sort anywhere.

From the looks of his operation I would have to say I'd condider him the expert and me the fool.

P.S> I could go on and on(working his cows, loading them, open breeding season on heifers, ETC.ETC.)

Rod":1bjbj3sh said:
I bought 52 head today , well I took them in on a trade more or less, from this old man in coveralls. I went to his farm which was a typical old man farm. He had two of everything ever made setting in his pasture with grass as tall as it was.

We walked through his herd and did a headcount and when we were done I had to ask him "how the helll they all looked so good."

He said "they just look like cows should look."

I went further and asked about his nuitriton program and he asks me "whats that".

I went on to ask what he feed them and he says "your walking all over it" and I said "grass" and he said ", well... yow".

I went further and asked him about what he suppliments and he says "supliwhats?"

He said "look here youngster" your trying to make cattle raising too diffulcult. Grow them good grass in the summer and feed them plenty of hay in the winter. I then said "hay and what in the winter" and then he says " there you go again youngin".

He told me if you feed out of feed sacks youl'll go broke and every once in awhile he'll give them a little bit of solids along with hay in the winter, but thats it!I did notice some salt blocks here and there but not feed sacks or licks or anything of that sort anywhere.

From the looks of his operation I would have to say I'd condider him the expert and me the fool.

P.S> I could go on and on(working his cows, loading them, open breeding season on heifers, ETC.ETC.)

HMMMMM, did CB move to AR?

My Uncle Doug. Went from tenant farming as a kid to owning about a thousand acres, and I don't know how many head. He's educated himself through the years and he mos' def aint no hobby guy. And you would never know to look at him that he's got so much or knows so much. Just bought his first horse a couple of years ago, in his seventies, and he's learning about those now. He's my favorite uncle, always there with a hug and a big smile. I admire him greatly.

Caustic Burno":2bjq9fdf said:
The closest I have read or met to a true Cattle expert would have to be dun Texan or Bez.
Lot of difference in an expert and expeirenced.

Not me! I've just got diverse experience. Know a little about a lot.

dun":187n5n57 said:
Caustic Burno":187n5n57 said:
The closest I have read or met to a true Cattle expert would have to be dun Texan or Bez.

Well thats my opinion and I am sticking to it cause if I get stumped thats who I am pming.

Caustic Burno":2m1t68i6 said:
dun":2m1t68i6 said:
Caustic Burno":2m1t68i6 said:

Well thats my opinion and I am sticking to it cause if I get stumped thats who I am pming.

I sure won;t stay up nights waiting to get a pm.

dun":13tu2dtw said:
Caustic Burno":13tu2dtw said:

And I do have one that has me stumped got a six year old cow gets the symtoms of ergot or foot rot in the left rear foot.
Hit her with La200 clears up about 2 to 3 weeks and its back.
Keep iodine out 365 no other cows with foot rot or any signs of foot problem. Have squeezed her and checked that foot out a half dozen times she knows how to operate the chute by herself. I am fixing to hit her with nuflour and if that doesn't clear it up she is off to Hormel.

Caustic Burno":3hx7i55s said:
And I do have one that has me stumped got a six year old cow gets the symtoms of ergot or foot rot in the left rear foot.
Keep iodine out 365 no other cows with foot rot or any signs of foot problem. Have squeezed her and checked that foot out a half dozen times she knows how to operate the chute by herself. I am fixing to hit her with nuflour and if that doesn't clear it up she is off to Hormel.

Had one last year the same way. Apparantly the infection was encapsulated in the joint and would flare up about the time she would get bred. Sent her down the road as an open cow. That was the source of the comment I made a while back to Bez about inadequate treatment of foot rot. I had treated her with LA200 and it cleared up so I did it again. By then the damage had been done. Now I wack them with Excenel and hit them again a couple of days later even if they appear to be well on the way to being cured. Bez had said he never heard of inadequate treatment.

dun":2vurumlj said:
Caustic Burno":2vurumlj said:

Had one last year the same way. Apparantly the infection was encapsulated in the joint and would flare up about the time she would get bred. Sent her down the road as an open cow. That was the source of the comment I made a while back to Bez about inadequate treatment of foot rot. I had treated her with LA200 and it cleared up so I did it again. By then the damage had been done. Now I wack them with Excenel and hit them again a couple of days later even if they appear to be well on the way to being cured. Bez had said he never heard of inadequate treatment.

Thats a new one on me now here is a question and the reason I didn't rule out ergot, this year the bahia and dallas grass has been nuts here loaded with seed heads.
Have you every seen it where only one cow has a problem with ergot and reoccur I haven't.

sorry to interject between dun and CB. We had a bull with the same problem. Treat, go away, treat, and on and on. Got the vet involved after about the 3rd time and she put him on the tip table. After cleaning and grinding low and behold there was an absess. We teated quickly, but I guess, not quick enough. When he was better the first time maybe he should have got another shot or two to be sure all the infection was gone, and then life would have been a might bit easier and cheaper. Needless to say we learned several lessons with him.

Latest posts