Carrying feed sack on the shoulder

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411":1csu4aot said:
We had a Dress up contest at work for Christmas. I wore a long red rennisance style dress w/ tall black boots. I did have to feed calves that morning too. And I had to drive my big truck w/ cattle trailer to work that day because I was going to pick up some heifers from one place and more to another right after work. I pulled up to a 'truck stop' diesel pump and got out. I kid you not, 15 guys turned and stared at me like I was an alien or something. I was actually kind of embarassed :oops:

I suspect it was the something.... :lol:

backhoeboogie":177y9ocs said:
When lifting anything, keeping it as close to your body as possible relieves the stress on your back.

I am going to try to explain this as best I can. Neil you don't have to go frying me :lol:

Stand the bag up on your tailgate and sort of hug it.

Get one hand underneath the bag and one in behind it sort of low.

Lift the bag off of the tailgate such that your hand underneath the bag is about belt high.

Bend you knees and thrust upward with your body.

Slightly after starting the upward thrust with your knees, push upward with the hand under the bag. All you are really wanting is to get half the bag above the height of your shoulder. Not the whole thing.

Squat again slightly and let the bag roll onto your shoulder. You hands should now be simply balancing the bag on your shoulders.

Take smaller steps when you walk and when you let it down, let it slide down the front of your sholder and body.

Always keep any weight you lift as close to your body as you possibly can. Reaching out and lifting is what will tear up your back.

Okay. Now my citics can get after me. I'll shut up and read. That is about the best description I can do.
me too

When unloading Make sure the pull string end is facing the way you want it. When I put mine down the strings are either down or away. That way when picking em up the opening side is naturally in the front, easier to open whitout sitting it down a second time.

cattleluvr18":23xkzmvp said:
dude... im 14 and i can do that! no less a girl but i dont think that should make a difference most of the time.

Dude????? Dude??? and you are from Nebraska? I need to talk to your Dad. :lol:

I back up to the feed room or use a wheel barrow.

Unloading 20 + sacks, you find the easiest way.

My daughter can toss a sack on her shoulder, but she is young (14). She grabs it and heaves it up.

Me, I take the easy way out. ;-)

Since we hardly buy anything other than minerals in sacks handling at my age is pretty easy...supplier delivers and have the son-in-law put up the sacks...bucks our hay too.
On the occasion that Susie brings home sweet feed or other such calf candy she calls home and I meet her in the barn...we work pretty good together. DMc

Latest posts