Carrying feed sack on the shoulder

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3sqip59v said:
milkmaid":3sqip59v said:
I recall once being able to get one bag on each shoulder... for some odd reason I can't seem to do it anymore. Nowdays I can get one up but not the second. :?

Old age must be catching up with you

:lol2: Somehow I don't think I'm there yet. Probably has more to do with the young bucks at the feed store that beg to carry the feed sacks out to the truck. But if they want to be gentlemen I'm not going to stop them. 8)

milkmaid":33ikkwjk said:
dun":33ikkwjk said:
milkmaid":33ikkwjk said:
I recall once being able to get one bag on each shoulder... for some odd reason I can't seem to do it anymore. Nowdays I can get one up but not the second. :?

:lol2: Somehow I don't think I'm there yet. Probably has more to do with the young bucks at the feed store that beg to carry the feed sacks out to the truck. But if they want to be gentlemen I'm not going to stop them. 8)

I think that's really the easiest way to carry sacks. But the young bucks don;t seem to have any interest in carrying them for me. Must be the beard

john250":2w7mokuw said:
Gate Opener":2w7mokuw said:
Is there a trick to getting the feed sack up on your shoulder? I see men do it all the time. Are there women on here that can carry one like that? I think I could handle it if someone would put it up there for me. :D

Suck it up, girl.:D My 81 yr old Dad handles 45 lb feed sacks every morning. Repetition is the key. Do it once. Then do it twice. Pretty soon, pro wrasslers are landing over there in the mudhole. If you can't hoist a full sack, divide it. Start where you can do it and work up. It's a health club with profit potential.
Or, find a cowboy to pitch the sack onto your shoulder. :D

Suck it up, girl. You sound just like my husband! :)

dun":14azojhg said:
milkmaid":14azojhg said:
dun":14azojhg said:
milkmaid":14azojhg said:

I think that's really the easiest way to carry sacks. But the young bucks don;t seem to have any interest in carrying them for me. Must be the beard

That may have something to do with it. LOL. :p ;-)

Gate Opener":30djxr1a said:
john250":30djxr1a said:
Gate Opener":30djxr1a said:
Is there a trick to getting the feed sack up on your shoulder? I see men do it all the time. Are there women on here that can carry one like that? I think I could handle it if someone would put it up there for me. :D

Suck it up, girl.:D My 81 yr old Dad handles 45 lb feed sacks every morning. Repetition is the key. Do it once. Then do it twice. Pretty soon, pro wrasslers are landing over there in the mudhole. If you can't hoist a full sack, divide it. Start where you can do it and work up. It's a health club with profit potential.

I'm guessin' that's a criticism.
My tongue was way in my cheek when I said that. If you took it otherwise, I apologize.

I have just about quit carrying them on my shoulder. The last few times I did it I woke up the next morning with a stiff neck. I carried a big old fence pole on my shoulders a 100 yards or so, dug the hole, set the post, poured concrete around it, and the next day I couldn't turn my head.

I just bear hug the bags now to carry them unless I am really hot and sweaty.

Thanks Beefy :lol: I do good to carry one, It's hard enough to walk in heels, much less balancing feed sacks.

Make sure they are on their side on your shoulder, don't put the flat side down as it will fall off easy that way. I've also learned not to carry them on my shoulder in the pasture. We have a couple cows that will 'bump' the bag and knock me over.

john250":2i574v80 said:
Gate Opener":2i574v80 said:
john250":2i574v80 said:
Gate Opener":2i574v80 said:

I'm guessin' that's a criticism.
My tongue was way in my cheek when I said that. If you took it otherwise, I apologize.

haha Good gosh no, I thought it was funny. I called my husband in to read it and he thought it was funny also. Some of his favorite words are-Deal with it or Oh suck it up. We try to have fun around this house.

The rest of it I took as encouragement. I'm ready to throw some pro wresslers in the mud!! Oh wait, I guess I better start with the feed sack. :(

dun":2dys9wl5 said:
milkmaid":2dys9wl5 said:
dun":2dys9wl5 said:
milkmaid":2dys9wl5 said:

Ya know dun, I think I'd just carry them myself just the same if I were you. You never know these days.

Now when I had two teenage daughters at home, and all those trucks parked everywhere, I could get an awful lot done around the place.

I bend at my knees and get the sack around my chest (which aint small with the extras) :oops: . Then I stand and hoist the sack over my shoulder. I have a herniated disc and 3 bulging discs in my low back and this method works great. It is when I bend at the waist that I hurt my back. Keep your back straight.

If it is on the tailgate, I bend my knees and get the sack to where it will fall over my shoulder as I stand.

I lift it up like you do a child. Stand the bag up, grab it with both hands and hoist it on your shoulder.

I'm with Just_a_girl, after the third bag I start dragging them, which is much harder, but I have no more hoist left in me..

just learnin":3o4uujqc said:
I lift it up like you do a child. Stand the bag up, grab it with both hands and hoist it on your shoulder.

I'm with Just_a_girl, after the third bag I start dragging them, which is much harder, but I have no more hoist left in me..
back in my younger days id lay the sack flat on the ground.then bend over an throw it on my shoulder.an take it where i needed it.now that my back is bad i can no longer do that.so now i bear hugg them into my belly an carry them.

I don't have any trouble unloading/loading a few sacks, but unloading 30-40 sacks at a time gets old. I need to get one of those T&S trip hoppers for caking the cows.

How many of ya'll use the T&S feeders?

http://www.tsfeeders.com/

pu_03.jpg
[/url]

sidney411":2uzo448x said:
Thanks Beefy :lol: I do good to carry one, It's hard enough to walk in heels, much less balancing feed sacks.

Make sure they are on their side on your shoulder, don't put the flat side down as it will fall off easy that way. I've also learned not to carry them on my shoulder in the pasture. We have a couple cows that will 'bump' the bag and knock me over.

if you can tote feedsacks in heels you get bonus points. 8)

Beefy":wavzwulb said:
sidney411":wavzwulb said:

Oh you can watch me walk if you want to...want to
In my red high heels.

I think we need pix of this.:heart:

Why not tie a string around it and put the string/rope up on your shoulder like a purse strap. It probably won't weigh too much more than some women's purses.

Or you could just pretend it was a big baby that you were trying to put into one of those back carrier things and stop at your shoulder instead of going all the way over your head.

Cuz :lol:

Don't carry many feed sacks anymore. Got a 9 year old, 11 year old and 16 year old for that heavy lifting. O yea and the wife :lol:

Was feeding today and had two five gallon buckets full of feed my 9 year old was carrying both of them. He asked me if I was going to take one I said nope, keeping you strong for Wrestling and Football. :lol: I did open the gates for him though!

I love coming home with 40 bags of feed in the truck, backing up to the barn and telling the 16 year old to go have fun :)

Beefy":1bx7lqeg said:
sidney411":1bx7lqeg said:

Dang, just my luck all the good ones are taken. Feed sacks in heels and I bet she wears blue jeans with her pearls too. :lol:

We had a Dress up contest at work for Christmas. I wore a long red rennisance style dress w/ tall black boots. I did have to feed calves that morning too. And I had to drive my big truck w/ cattle trailer to work that day because I was going to pick up some heifers from one place and more to another right after work. I pulled up to a 'truck stop' diesel pump and got out. I kid you not, 15 guys turned and stared at me like I was an alien or something. I was actually kind of embarassed :oops:

Latest posts