Carrying feed sack on the shoulder

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
Is there a trick to getting the feed sack up on your shoulder? I see men do it all the time. Are there women on here that can carry one like that? I think I could handle it if someone would put it up there for me. :D

I think that carrying it over the shoulder is the easiest way to do it. Its kinda hard to explain how to get it up there. I pick it up like anyother time, then use my knee to help me push it up there...I guess... :roll:

Gate Opener":1v1w0tlq said:
Are there women on here that can carry one like that? I think I could handle it if someone would put it up there for me. :D

yes. I can usually carry 3 bags of feed, one at a time into the barn that way. After the the 3rd bag I start dragging what is left. :lol:

I just drag the bag to the end of the tailgate, stand it up on end and just put my shoulder into the bag and hoist it up.....I get it up on my shoulder somehow.....

It seems easier to carry the bags on the shoulder.

Well, the way I do it is pick up the sack of feed, balance it on my thigh, then pick it up again and put it on my shoulder. I TRY to put it where it sort folds over my shoulder evenly where it will balance and I can use my hands to unlatch gates and such. But I have to say I've been doing this a while though. I had to find to find my own technique and had to change techniques a couple of times due to various muscle pulls.

Duck

Gate Opener":n308mgk3 said:
Is there a trick to getting the feed sack up on your shoulder? I see men do it all the time. Are there women on here that can carry one like that? I think I could handle it if someone would put it up there for me. :D

Make sure you never turn your back on them which ever way you carry it.

When lifting anything, keeping it as close to your body as possible relieves the stress on your back.

I am going to try to explain this as best I can. Neil you don't have to go frying me :lol:

Stand the bag up on your tailgate and sort of hug it.

Get one hand underneath the bag and one in behind it sort of low.

Lift the bag off of the tailgate such that your hand underneath the bag is about belt high.

Bend you knees and thrust upward with your body.

Slightly after starting the upward thrust with your knees, push upward with the hand under the bag. All you are really wanting is to get half the bag above the height of your shoulder. Not the whole thing.

Squat again slightly and let the bag roll onto your shoulder. You hands should now be simply balancing the bag on your shoulders.

Take smaller steps when you walk and when you let it down, let it slide down the front of your sholder and body.

Always keep any weight you lift as close to your body as you possibly can. Reaching out and lifting is what will tear up your back.

Okay. Now my citics can get after me. I'll shut up and read. That is about the best description I can do.

backhoeboogie":wuvqaqv2 said:
When lifting anything, keeping it as close to your body as possible relieves the stress on your back.

I am going to try to explain this as best I can. Neil you don't have to go frying me :lol:

Lift the bag off of the tailgate such that your hand underneath the bag is about belt high.

Slightly after starting the upward thrust with your knees, push upward with the hand under the bag. All you are really wanting is to get half the bag above the height of your shoulder. Not the whole thing.

Squat again slightly and let the bag roll onto your shoulder. You hands should now be simply balancing the bag on your shoulders.

Take smaller steps when you walk and when you let it down, let it slide down the front of your sholder and body.

Always keep any weight you lift as close to your body as you possibly can. Reaching out and lifting is what will tear up your back.

Okay. Now my citics can get after me. I'll shut up and read. That is about the best description I can do.

yes, that is it exactly..... :lol: thank you!

backhoeboogie":2opydpli said:

Good job.

I can recall when when the old man had real men working for him doing it as you described with 100 pound fert sack. I was 12 and tried to lay in there. They laughed alot at me and said they use to weight 200. I don't know if they were ribbing me to this day or not. I never ask Grandaddad about that. Just another thing I misssed out on.

Wewild":r7m90hh9 said:
I can recall when when the old man had real men working for him doing it as you described with 100 pound fert sack. I was 12 and tried to lay in there. They laughed alot at me and said they use to weight 200. I don't know if they were ribbing me to this day or not. I never ask Grandaddad about that. Just another thing I misssed out on.
When we had to feed some sack feed a couple of years ago I couldn;t believe how easy those 100 lb sacks were to handle. Seemd like they weren;t much worse then when I was a sprout. That's when I discovered that somewhere through the years they'ld gone to 50 lb sacks.

dun

dun":17z1fahc said:
When we had to feed some sack feed a couple of years ago I couldn;t believe how easy those 100 lb sacks were to handle. Seemd like they weren;t much worse then when I was a sprout. That's when I discovered that somewhere through the years they'ld gone to 50 lb sacks.

dun

Thats funny and I mean it.

I don't believe it for a second.

Grass Sacks are easier to lift than paper. Just grab from the middle and they'll easily toss right over your shoulder. If the feed has a lot of Molasses in it and it's real cold, they can be a little more challenging.

Crowderfarms":2l36ww6m said:
Grass Sacks are easier to lift than paper. Just grab from the middle and they'll easily toss right over your shoulder. If the feed has a lot of Molasses in it and it's real cold, they can be a little more challenging.

Golden Oak Feed has gone to a plastic sack that turns rainwater.

I buy cubes every now in Glen Rose when I pass through on the way to the farm. When I move cows from pasture to pasture it is much easier to coax them in than it is to herd them in, especially with the doggone county road dividing up the property and everyone ignoring the 35 MPH speed limit. When they all bunch at the gate I open it and they run across the road through the other gate to get to the cubes. Anyway, I can put those sacks down there in the shed and not worry as much about blowing rain.

Various muscle pulls, Tear up your back, those words are kinda sticking with me right now. :shock: I know, WIMP.

Thanks everybody and thanks for the detailed description backhoe. Maybe I'll get up my nerve and try it sometime. I need to eat some spinach and get me some big muskles!

I feel goofy the way I carry them now which is in front of me Waddle, Waddle, Waddle.

Gate Opener":1p0mckwt said:

I can now carry one or two bags on my shoulder (one at a time :shock: ) then I'm on to the bucket routine
and I'm a woman (much, much stronger now that I work on the farm full-time :) )

If the bag is on the floor, I muscle it up onto something - anything to get it at least waist high - then just lift it up onto the shoulder
get it balanced with the weight on both sides evenly (that is the trick)
I can't take away my hand to do anything but I can carry it a little ways - like to the truck

also - remember when you set it down - try to set it down rather than letting it fall - or at least watch what it falls on -
I've cleaned up dog food, range cubes, can't tell what else -

the cows will now come when I just drive into the pasture - they think that I'm a cookie dispenser :D they haven't yet learned that the cookies only come if I honk or call them

I carry the 50lb sacks on a regular basis... the easy part is carrying them; once you get them on your shoulder it isn't too hard to keep them there. ;-)

I recall once being able to get one bag on each shoulder... for some odd reason I can't seem to do it anymore. Nowdays I can get one up but not the second. :?

If the bag is on the floor, I muscle it up onto something

Especially at the feed store or Tractor Supply - I muscle it onto the cart and just roll it!

milkmaid":ubxed6vy said:
I recall once being able to get one bag on each shoulder... for some odd reason I can't seem to do it anymore. Nowdays I can get one up but not the second. :?

Old age must be catching up with you

I think Sidney can tote like 3 or 5. but not 4.

all you gotta do is throw it up there. if you dont throw yourself with it its all good. then just make sure you catch it right and dont drop it behind you b/c that sucks.

Gate Opener":18gvjgtx said:

Suck it up, girl.:D My 81 yr old Dad handles 45 lb feed sacks every morning. Repetition is the key. Do it once. Then do it twice. Pretty soon, pro wrasslers are landing over there in the mudhole. If you can't hoist a full sack, divide it. Start where you can do it and work up. It's a health club with profit potential.
Or, find a cowboy to pitch the sack onto your shoulder. :D