bull leasing?

Help Support CattleToday:

moloss

Reaction score
I purchased a nice bull last year and I've be very pleased with him well now I have someone (actually a friend of my dads) who is interested in leasing him to cover his heifers....now that being said I've never leased a bull out before....so do need I need to write up some sort contract? what happens if he dies when he's at his place? gets out and gets hit by a car and people are hurt? etc, etc any and all help is needed and appreciated......thank you Chris.

We have leased several junior bulls in the past. Always draw up a "standard" contract along with info for specifying info about the bull.

Any lease out, when he returns, should be de-wormed. It also won't hurt to re-vaccinate him to cover common diseases as well as Trich, Vibrio, and Lepto when he returns. Also, weigh and photograph the bull before and after he returns. You never really know what "bugs" the other place has...you don't want him to bring back problems.

Check to ensure the lessee has adequate fencing, loading up equipment.

Also, specify the number of females he will service. Can charge by the month (usually a 2 month minimum), or by the number of females in the herd, times the number of months. Bare minimum for the lessee should be long enough to cover 2 heat cycles of the cattle...probably not less than 5 weeks.

Latest posts