bull killing bull

Help Support CattleToday:

yme

Reaction score
I had 4 Angus bulls running in a 13 acre pasture and have been together since July 15 of this year and have they been together for 2 years when not with cows and these two were together for over a year nonstop. My 5 year old bull weighing 2,000 + Lbs. killed a 3 year old weighing around 1500 Lbs. I have had bulls hurt fighting before especially when they are turned together after being apart for awhile but never one killed before. Didn't see the start of the fight but when I found them the big one was jumping on the smaller one and pushing him around on the ground. I got them separated and the smaller one did get up and walk a short distance but went back down never got up again. I think something was busted up in his back end and he was passing blood. I let him go for awhile hoping ...... but when I came back a couple hours later he was dead.

In the past year the big bull had become a bull you watched very very close and was going to be sold when I pulled the bulls in Feb. I guess I should have gotten rid of him at the first sign of him getting grumpy but he was my best bull and I was trying to get one more cycle out of him. He never took anyone but he started to act like he was thinking about it. He is at the sale barn and will be sold tomorrow.

Sorry for the loss, but I'm glad to hear it wasn't you he killed. Good job in getting him sent off to the auction before he started thinking he needed to deal with you too someday.

well aleast you owned em. i borrowed a angus bull from a friend one time. because my bull had nerve damage, and had to have one quick ... the angus got over on my neighbors and killed his young charolais bull... so i had too pay for his bull, and buy a new one. had to sell my replacements too cover the tab..... a hard learning experiance

time to send old killer to the sale no q.you already said he was getting rank an mean.when a bull trys to take you on he is mean.i wouldnt be shocked if he didnt try to kill another bull.

Go look at my post "Remember Safety" on the Breeds Board.
The bull that was pushed into that gate was also pushed right over it.

Red Bull Breeder":1geilzkb said:
4 bulls in a 13 acre pasture is plenty of room, little bull must have been putting up a pretty good fight.

With a younger bull, he could have been an instigator as well. Kinda foolish to try and separate bulls. That is when you really get hurt or dead. Let them fight it out and whatever happens, happens. All part of owning bulls. We have lost them too. Nothing you can do but ship the killer. :cowboy:

Aaron":1gjvqm56 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1gjvqm56 said:
4 bulls in a 13 acre pasture is plenty of room, little bull must have been putting up a pretty good fight.

With a younger bull, he could have been an instigator as well. Kinda foolish to try and separate bulls. That is when you really get hurt or dead. Let them fight it out and whatever happens, happens. All part of owning bulls. We have lost them too. Nothing you can do but ship the killer. :cowboy:

That is what I thought too.

You know, I had seen bulls fight, cows fight, bulls and cows attack people (and I've been on the recieving end) ...

but I hadnt seen anything until a couple years ago at one of our major shows two mature lowline bulls (different studs) got loose in the show ring and started a full fledged bull fight.

Never have I ever seen anything like that before. And I saw what happened to the guys that tried to get in between the bulls to stop them.

It put the fear of god into me.

Aaron":1wobvg6h said:
Red Bull Breeder":1wobvg6h said:

I agree with you Aaron. Let bulls be bulls.. they are always gonna fight.

Bulls will be bulls.

The younger bull was probably thinking he was big enough to take on the older bull, and the older bull put him in his place. Literally.

My experience has been when a bull gets to be 3 or so, they get pretty full of themselves. Brother and I group bulls together when they are not with the cows. The worst fights we have seen is when you match 3,4, or 5 year old bulls together. We have a couple of different places to put all of our bulls, so we try to put the younger ones, (2 year olds) with the mature bulls (4+). It seems the pecking order is easily established, and they don't fight too much. But there is always an exception.

My computer was down over the weekend so I didn't get to answer any post. Like I said I didn't get to see the start but the ending was impressive in a "holy C--p" way.

Separating them was not really an issue as the big one moved off while admiring the grill guard on the truck (never hit him but he turned tail when I came charging up in the truck) and the small one wasn't getting up looking for more.

I have never carried a gun into a pen before for protection while loading something but did so this time and was real happy when the trailer door slammed shut. I really never had to get to close while loading as I had help and several gates to shut behind him as he moved closer to trailer and a rope on the trailer to shut it from the outside. I didn't plan on laying there and getting killed without giving as good as I was getting.

I talked to the barn today and they said they had no problems and that they had another one that was allot grumpier then mine.

Glad I'm not the sale barn business.

yme":cs0sovwf said:
I have never carried a gun into a pen before for protection while loading something but did so this time and was real happy when the trailer door slammed shut.

I never go into the pen without one. Have never needed it and hope I never do, but it is the great equilizer.

And to those that think bulls are "pets", listen and learn.

Lost my first one last year. It wasn't an "angry" bull fight but they were just playing and humping each other - all yearlings to 18 months - and one of the smaller ones broke. The problem is, as soon as he broke and was on the ground it was like he got gang raped. Miraculously he came around and lived but never walked right, lost weight for a while then grew real slow. Sold him for burger at about 900 lbs.

. . . and then you get those who will say, "..but old Sammy (or Whomever) would NEVER do a thing like that!. I have 'scratched' him every day of his life and he is a pussy cat!" Well, you may have scratched him every day of his life, but he has NOT had TESTOSERONE coursing through his veins every day of his life, and he is an entirely different bull - NOW!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts