Bull Decisions

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
So, we have 2 mature bulls that we are on the fence about keeping or selling. Both are rising 6 years old. Both have issues staying at home after the first cycle is over. Both have had issues with their feet, but always seem to be sound for breeding season.

One is a Simm/Angus bull. He's a big fellow and we get some darned good calves off him. We use him mostly on our poorer cows or cows with conformational faults, with the idea that we don't keep any of his calves. Which kinda works, we have only kept a small handful of his heifers, lol. Problems with him are that he had foot rot this past summer, but seems to be sound finally now. He likes to check out the girls on the other side of the fence, and I believe we will get some calves out of our heifers from him this year. OTOH, he has always been easy enough to handle (so far anyways, who knows he might get himself on the chopping block for sure if his attitude changes suddenly, been known to happen). He is probably one of our easiest calving cow bulls, and I'm not concerned about having heifers bred to him and he is structurally sound. If we canned him we'd probably get $1500-$1800 for him right now.

The second bull is a Red Angus bull we bought for the heifers. But he's gotten to big for them. Last summer we used him on the cows. Problems with him are that he has had lameness issues over the winter in the past. He's never been lame during breeding season, and it's never been foot rot. Guess his feet may not be the best, but they aren't really bad either. He has not been dangerous to handle in the past (as above that could change but who knows), but if you get him in the corral he tends to go over/through the fences. He doesn't like pressure, or to be by himself. He has not been a fence jumper other than that, and he's been an easy enough calver for the heifers. The other problem with him IS that he was bought for the heifers, i.e. not for the best production, but for calving ease, although we have been happy enough with his calves off the heifers for the most part. But, I am not sure that he has what it takes to be a good bull for the cows... I don't mind giving a little production up on the heifers for calving ease, but that isn't quite the same for the mature cows. And losing 20+ lbs on BW might cut into the bottom line a little more than necessary! Once again, he is structurally sound and I figure we'd get $1500-$1800 out of him if we culled him too.

Problem is, I figure it's gonna cost in that $3500-$4500 to replace them with anything I'd be interested in as far as quality and production goes. OTOH, I figure that we are going to have to bite the bullet sooner or later anyway, plus I figure that sooner or later they are going to do what most mature bulls seem to do and become to dangerous to handle sooner or later.

So go ahead and give me your opinions on what you'd do. Give them another summer or bite the bullet this spring....

They got to go. You wouldn't keep a race car with engine trouble even though every time it broke down was not during a race. The one time it does break down during the race will be more costly than keeping it for one more season. Get your new bulls now while cull prices are high.

Ship them, and the real question is, do you really need to replace them or can you get by without them by making the others work harder?

We will be breeding about 50 heifers and 170 cows. Right now we are sitting with 7 bulls, 2 for the heifers. We will have to replace them. Even if we only replaced one of them it wouldn't work cause we just have too many pastures. DH and I have to do some figuring....

Randi for your country and afrer what i saw at the NWSS tonight I would sell em for salvage and go find me a couple of Galloway bulls!

I'd love to see what a Dun Galloway would throw with all your crazy colored cattle.

Looks like both need to go. Bad feet is not a winning trait in breeding bulls. If you only want to rid yourselves of one sell the red angus. If a bull is difficult to put in a corral, that is really a bad sign. The cattle that react to one kind of stress usually also handle stress in a bad way in other situations. And some of his daughters might inherit this behaviour, which you really do not need. :2cents:

ANAZAZI said:
If you only want to rid yourselves of one sell the red angus. If a bull is difficult to put in a corral, that is really a bad sign. quote]

That is alot of bulls. I covered 65 head with one long yearling bull last summer :cboy: following Multi Min and 5 days of of AI. Ended up with 2 open.

Can you AI the heifers, or can you breed the heifers early and then put the heifer bull s on cows ???

Well, we run the bulls for only 60 days. Last year we ran one 3 year old with 48 head and only had 1 dry, I would have preferred 2 bulls there but we had issues getting the 2nd one. A good part of the reason for so many bulls is that we have several pastures. A couple of them will run only about 20-25 head, and some run over 100. And I don't like taking chances in case one bull gets hurt or doesn't do what he is supposed to. Better to spend $4000 now than to have 20 or 30 dry cows later, and we have had that happen before too. We usually try to stick to about 30-35 head to a bull (2years or older)if possible.
Not likely to AI, although I'd like to but our pastures are too spread out for that, or breed the heifers any earlier, we start Mar 1 and that is pushing it as far as the weather goes, we don't have the facilities if the weather is real cold. As far as running the heifer bulls with the cows, I prefer not to do that, generally they just don't have the performance of the bulls we buy for the cows. Certainly that is not because you can't buy it, but we rarely seem to be able to afford a bull that can do both!

I think that the decision has been made. Both bulls are heading to town in the near future, while they are sound and in pretty good condition. I think we will try looking around at some of the smaller breeders that sell off the farm and see how that goes, hopefully we can save a few $$ and find some nice bulls that way. We have lots of time to do it, since the bulls don't get turned out til the end of May anyway.

We are in the same predicament. Our Red Angus bull came up lame ( twisted his knee on rough ground from that past wet springs) does not seem to be getting any better. So no brainer he must go. :cry2: We do have another bull. This summer we will be breeding 40 - 45 cows. Not sure if we can use just one bull or need to suck it up and spend more money.

6 year old bulls are like cars with 250k miles. They might run just fine for a lot longer but then again they might puke up their tranny tomorrow. Sounds like you had made your decision but just looking for confirmation on your plans.

Can you finagle things around to where you just have to buy a new heifer bull? The two salvage bulls should pay for that at least.

Randi, if you use 7 bulls and replace one or two a year you might save some money by saving one or two bull calves each year out of your best cow/bull matings and using them as yearlings the next year or two on an un- or distantly related group.

This saves you some money on bulls. It also concentrates the genetics you like and are best suited to your conditions. The system is working well for me so far. Combined with bringing in new outside bulls from time to time keeps fresh genetics coming in but builds on the best genetics you already have. They can winter with the older bulls with minimal problems because of the age difference - there is no question who is in charge!

Best of luck to you -

Jim

MO, No we won't be moving the heifer bulls onto the main herd, and buying a new heifer bull. I just am not going to go that way, that will just bite us in the butt in the long run. Besides I don't expect a decent heifer bull to be any cheaper than a cow bull.

SR, we have been trying to do just that. And we do have one up and comer. Actually I forgot about him. We did that last year too, only to have the big boys beat him up and kill him, before breeding season even started! But we are going to give it a try again. Only thing is: hat you need more yearling bulls to do the same work as mature bulls... This years I am hoping for a couple of good bull calves that turn out. Have a couple of good cows I'm crossing my fingers on. Last year kept 5 bull calves and only had 1 turn out.

MO_cows":1jsxqag6 said:
6 year old bulls are like cars with 250k miles. They might run just fine for a lot longer but then again they might puke up their tranny tomorrow. Sounds like you had made your decision but just looking for confirmation on your plans.

Can you finagle things around to where you just have to buy a new heifer bull? The two salvage bulls should pay for that at least.

You must have bad luck with bulls. We typically quit using at 7 because we start getting so many daughters in the herd. But I've been around a lot of 10+ year old bulls. Knew a neighbors (he has been to many places) bull that died this past year at age 14.

Stocker Steve":3dvtmt79 said:
ANAZAZI":3dvtmt79 said:
If you only want to rid yourselves of one sell the red angus. If a bull is difficult to put in a corral, that is really a bad sign. quote]

That is alot of bulls. I covered 65 head with one long yearling bull last summer :cboy: following Multi Min and 5 days of of AI. Ended up with 2 open.

Can you AI the heifers, or can you breed the heifers early and then put the heifer bull s on cows ???

You gotta be running them in a small paddock. A long yearling would never do it in Randi's pastures. And definitely not in a tight breeding season.

Aaron":2jnzgn2o said:
MO_cows":2jnzgn2o said:

You must have bad luck with bulls. We typically quit using at 7 because we start getting so many daughters in the herd. But I've been around a lot of 10+ year old bulls. Knew a neighbors (he has been to many places) bull that died this past year at age 14.

We've had so much crazy out of the ordinary trouble in the last several years, that most of our bulls are pretty young. Had 2 decent mature bulls break their business units a few years ago, year before last- one bull broke a leg,and one really nice bull ended up with foot rot back up in some of our wooly ground and wasn't found soon enough, and there was something else happened to another one but I can't remember right now.

Anyway, like I say, most of ours are young and we try to keep them that way. But we have a bull turning 10 that hasn't missed a lick and churns out some of the best calves every year. I can sure appreciate a lot of different views on management of bulls. And it may be a bit of a gamble, but he still seems to be paying his way. He'll get one more crack this spring, but I don't know after that. We may be pushing our luck.

Commercialfarmer":3awlw9fr said:
We've had so much crazy out of the ordinary trouble in the last several years, that most of our bulls are pretty young. Had 2 decent mature bulls break their business units a few years ago, year before last- one bull broke a leg,and one really nice bull ended up with foot rot back up in some of our wooly ground and wasn't found soon enough, and there was something else happened to another one but I can't remember right now.

- Yep.

- My big paddocks are 8 to 11 acres so I have been applying MIB - - Management Intensive Breeding. I am now considering a move to mob breeding. ;-) You can buy a lot of poly wire for the price of a bull. If I had to go back to multiple bulls per paddock I would consider pulling all but one after 21 days and before they get crippled up.
- One advantage of a fall calving herd here is you can pull the cows out of small er pastures and then apply MIB while bale grazing.
- I think running multiple bulls together in a MIB operation is asking for problems. They can spend more time focused on each other than they do on the cows. Then they end up injured from fighting or stressed or with foot rot from stress or pushed through the fence. Herf bulls may be different, and 160 acre paddocks probably are different, but I don't have either.
- You may want to give that Simi bull 3 weeks of exercise before you burger him.

Aaron":27j09h2z said:
MO_cows":27j09h2z said:

I wish we could keep bulls around for a long time. These two are some of the older bulls we've had. Usually something happens to them or they become mean one day and that is the end of that! I would say that 5 is probably the average age that we keep them to.

Stocker Steve":o5tsdgio said:
Commercialfarmer":o5tsdgio said:

- Yep.

- My big paddocks are 8 to 11 acres so I have been applying MIB - - Management Intensive Breeding. I am now considering a move to mob breeding. ;-) You can buy a lot of poly wire for the price of a bull. If I had to go back to multiple bulls per paddock I would consider pulling all but one after 21 days and before they get crippled up.
- One advantage of a fall calving herd here is you can pull the cows out of small er pastures and then apply MIB while bale grazing.
- I think running multiple bulls together in a MIB operation is asking for problems. They can spend more time focused on each other than they do on the cows. Then they end up injured from fighting or stressed or with foot rot from stress or pushed through the fence. Herf bulls may be different, and 160 acre paddocks probably are different, but I don't have either.
- You may want to give that Simi bull 3 weeks of exercise before you burger him.

No intensive managing here! Our smallest pasture is 80 acres. If I am lucky I can separate them into single bull pastures so I know who is the sire of the calves. Failing that I try to run a black bull and a red bull or such together so it is easy to tell. And it is an impossible idea to try the intensive grazing when your pastures are all over the place. Would make things quite interesting around haying time!

I think running bulls together in general is a risky business, sooner or later somebody is going to get hurt. I prefer not to do it, but sometimes you do what you have to do.

Well, that is kinda what I was thinking about him. The biggest reason he's on the list is that he's a real ladies man.... If his girls take a break on him he has to go find some other ones. Not all the neighbours appreciate that!! But we do have a pasture or 2 where he could be far enough away from someone else's girls that he wouldn't be a problem....I can forgive him the footrot if he's really over it. OTOH, if he hurts himself or comes up lame again, then his cull value drops too....