Bull Behavoir Question

Help Support CattleToday:

badaxemoo":1zy0znmz said:
When do heifers typically start to cycle and when is the earliest you've observed one cycling?

I've noticed mine usually start cycling at about 7 to 8 months. This year, for whatever reason, I had 2 which started their first cycles at 5 months.

Katherine

badaxemoo":3bmxtmkz said:
When do heifers typically start to cycle and when is the earliest you've observed one cycling?

Typically, they start cycling at anywhere from 6 months of age on up to 8 or 9 months of age - I'm not sure about the upper limits, because our are usually cycling by 7, or 8 months, usually. They can, however, start cycling as early as 3 or 4 months of age. We had 2 yearlings calve at right at 12 months of age a couple of years ago. This is another reason we do not leave the bull in with the cows past our set breeding season. The general rule of thumb is, the bigger the heifer the earlier she reaches sexual maturity and starts cycling.

My bull stays with the girls year round unless there's a specific reason I pull him.

Calving season is pretty well set although I get the occasional mid summer calf which I really don't like but /shrug.

The only reason I pull my bulls is I'm trying to make trailer loads of uniform calves. If I wasn't doing this, I'm pretty sure I'd let them hang with the girls year round.

One good thing I will say about a closed breeding season is it helps in vaccinations. You know where they are so you don't give a vaccination that would hurt a cow or calf and it also reduces the frequency I have to work the cattle.

All and all, I think the "best way" is the way it best suits your operation.

After breeding season, the bulls typically loaf around and show up to the water and hay last like you said. I've noticed the dominant bull is normally the last one. I think it has something to do with pecking order. He knows he's the baddest boy on the block and he'll get to push any and all out of the way when he gets there. Hence, confirming his status as "the big cheese". :lol:

Howdy,

The biggest reasons would be location. (south-warmer climate, north colder climate etc...) I am sure if your in North Dakota, you really do not want a newborn calf in January. In Texas, its not so much of a problem. The next reason would be bull corral location. Otherside of the farm for me. One saturday night wiff, and a fence is just an optical illusion to a bull wanting some__________. If you have a location to keep the bull, and a steer buddy (freezer beef) to keep him company. Bull's really do not like being totally by themselves. They will try to get somewhere, somehow to be with a companion.

Herd vaccination program is easier when all are ready for shots, and also for AI breeding too.

Fall calver myself.

My bull seems to be the same way. He stays in the pasture with the girls. From what Ive seen at work over the summer, bulls tend to be more "loners" than cows, meaning they will kind of hang back and dont stick with the rest of the herd as much. Bulls seem to just wander around on their own, while the cows stick closely together for the most part.

My plan, correct me if its not a good idea, but I keep the bull with the cows all the time. When there is a calf, at weaning it will go in another pasture across the road. Any suggestion for this would be appreciated, this is a new thing for me.

I do the same thing, I leave my calves in with their "mommas" AND with the bull being around also. I dont find its a huge problem.

Latest posts