Bull Behavoir Question

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
Never had a bull before so we don't know what to expect from a behavior perspective. We have a 22 month old bull and are using him to service 11 females. He's been with the females for 6 months. They should now be good to go.

He looks perfectly healthy and full bodied. However, he's the last to come up to the feeding ring and tends to spend some of his time alone. Otherwise he is ok. Can this be a normal "bull" behavior?

Gary,
I could say something funny about your bull being a little light in the loafers, but I won't.

Chances are, he has already serviced the 11 and is bored.
My advice would be to try another bull with the cows, and see if any cycle again.

GaryDG":3fhlkkdr said:
Never had a bull before so we don't know what to expect from a behavior perspective. We have a 22 month old bull and are using him to service 11 females. He's been with the females for 6 months. They should now be good to go.

He looks perfectly healthy and full bodied. However, he's the last to come up to the feeding ring and tends to spend some of his time alone. Otherwise he is ok. Can this be a normal "bull" behavior?

6 months for 11 females? :shock: Each of those females has had the opportunity to cycle 6 times, unless there is something drastically wrong with your bull (or your females) - they are bred. Yes, this tends to be normal bull behavior. No one is cycling, so he's just kind of ambling around looking for something to do. I'm curious as to why you haven't pulled him?

Just Curious":2nc7ao8z said:
msscamp":2nc7ao8z said:
I'm curious as to why you haven't pulled him?
Is there a problem with leaving them together after he's done his job??? Would you normally seperate them and why?

Yes, I would seperate them after a standard 90 day breeding period and either put him in the corral or in a pasture around the homeplace and away from exterior fences. Generally speaking, a lot of people prefer to have a set calving time - less time and trouble (at least up here). Seperating the bull allows one to identify the late cycling cows and cull them - I don't like year round calving, and I do like uniform calves come selling time. Another factor is that leaving the bull in the pasture beyond the time specified for a set calving period tends to encourage a 'wandering' attitude (especially if the neighbor chooses to put his cycling heifers across the fence), and the bull goes visiting, thus causing problems with the neighbor and necessitating (sp?) rounding him up and bringing him back home.

Just Curious":3c3tkhnh said:
msscamp":3c3tkhnh said:
I'm curious as to why you haven't pulled him?
Is there a problem with leaving them together after he's done his job??? Would you normally seperate them and why?

If he has been with the cows for 6 Mo. the breeding season has been established.
I see no problem with leaving him with the cows.
It will be another story if and when you have young heifer calves in with him.

I disagree with mss in this case. I used to pull my bulls and sell the open cows. The only thing I noticed was that I had more bulls trying to jump corral fences to get back to the girls.

These days, I only pull my bulls just before calving season and put them back in for breeding. Fewer broken fences. And any cows that are late get fired off to a bred cow sale. I specifically tell the auction house to inform the crowd that the cows were late and probably have breeding issues. Someone will usually buy them for a few bucks above cull price, and get the calf. They make a little money, I make a little extra, and everyone's happy.

Rod

We don't pull the bull either.. he stays with the cows year around. Don't have a calving season, at least purposely, but actually he's been pretty effective in establishing a calving season.. primarily because my cows where without a bull for a few months, so when I bought him, he got everything bred in a couple of months.

A lot of people don't have anywhere to "pull" a bull. It doesn't hurt to leave him with the cows.

One size does not fit all in the cattle business. I simply stated what I would do in this instance and why.

msscamp":27x8vm83 said:
One size does not fit all in the cattle business. I simply stated what I would do in this instance and why.

Certainly. I hope I didn't come across as argumentative, as it wasn't intended as such. The "I disagree with mss in this case." only meant that I normally agree with most of what you say :)

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":2hvoimb8 said:
msscamp":2hvoimb8 said:

Certainly. I hope I didn't come across as argumentative, as it wasn't intended as such. The "I disagree with mss in this case." only meant that I normally agree with most of what you say :)

Rod

Not at all. You're fine, Rod! :)

I would agree.. that is typical bull behavior... I also leave my bull with his 25 females. I do have year round calves, but most come in spring or fall. Not a big problem for me, as long as they keep breeding and making calves.. :)

DiamondSCattleCo":qvbg7j9l said:
I disagree with mss in this case. I used to pull my bulls and sell the open cows. The only thing I noticed was that I had more bulls trying to jump corral fences to get back to the girls.

These days, I only pull my bulls just before calving season and put them back in for breeding. Fewer broken fences. And any cows that are late get fired off to a bred cow sale. I specifically tell the auction house to inform the crowd that the cows were late and probably have breeding issues. Someone will usually buy them for a few bucks above cull price, and get the calf. They make a little money, I make a little extra, and everyone's happy.

Rod

I agree especially if you are small operation like this guy, cows are herding animals. One bored young bull with nothing to do is going to get into trouble.
There is nothing wrong with running your bull with the cows year around if you want to.

Having limited experience with bulls, I can;t say if it's normal or not, but Pedro just hangs around with the girls. His only serious occupation seems to be sniffing pee to see if he's going to get lucky.

dun

dun":32mmd97h said:
Having limited experience with bulls, I can;t say if it's normal or not, but Pedro just hangs around with the girls. His only serious occupation seems to be sniffing pee to see if he's going to get lucky.

Dun, you guys AI alot, right? Thats a downright dirty trick to play on a bull, tossing him into a pen of AI'ed girls :p

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":3ddjh6bj said:
Dun, you guys AI alot, right? Thats a downright dirty trick to play on a bull, tossing him into a pen of AI'ed girls :p

Rod

Just makes ol Pedro happier when he gets some some.

dun

dun":ht8ielwt said:

dun

Same here, Groucho, I think would freak out if he wasn't with the girls.

GMN

So...stupid rookie question.

At what point would most of you feel it necessary to remove your young heifers from the herd if you leave the bull in with the cows? I pulled my bull for two months during calving season (which was fairly late) but otherwise he has run with the rest of the herd.

When do heifers typically start to cycle and when is the earliest you've observed one cycling?

I have a number in mind, but I ain't gonna say because I'm probably wrong!

I've also noticed my bull never runs to the feed or runs to the fresh hay bale either. I just figured he knew that there was no way the girls are gonna eat everything and that there would be plenty left for him when he got there, or he can at least just push whomever he wants out of the way, so why spend the extra energy running to something that will still be there when he strolls around to it.

Or maybe he just likes to look at the girls as they are running, watching the rearends in motion as they move. ;-) Kind of like watching the Baywatch girls for us!

Latest posts