Breed to NOT use

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffMills517

Reaction score
Not to start any fights, but in your opinion...which breed would you NOT use in a three way cross...obviously location plays into that so I'm not worried about those answers. Just basically want to know what breeds you have no desire to use AND WHY.

Chi's and Maines, too big and too tall, I can use other continentals, Gelbvieh for example and come out much better as far as mature weight, feed efficiency, temperament, and quality grade.

1 can of gasoline - check
1 lighter - check

now stand well back and............

In some places it is hard to sell live cattle with certain white markings, like pinzgauer, longhorn and shorthorn. Crossbreeding this type of breeds even to solid coloured cattle will then cause the price to dive despite the cattle may look good.

hooknline":2vh33zne said:
I dunno..sounded good. But honestly i meant watusi
Wonder what the cape buffalo population of Africa would look like in a few years if we dumped about a hundred head of Jersey bulls out over there. :mrgreen:

hooknline":2qczj156 said:
I dont think thered be many jerseys left with all those hungry africans out there

I think that cape buffalo who have survived centuries of predation by the african lion could probably hang with the jersey bull in a fight for his females.

I am not sure how big a mature cape buffalo bull is as I have never seen a fully grown one. saw a young one once and he snorted and jumped at me and even though I was on the other side of a good fence he made me step back.

pdfangus":2igipp60 said:
hooknline":2igipp60 said:
I dont think thered be many jerseys left with all those hungry africans out there

I think that cape buffalo who have survived centuries of predation by the african lion could probably hang with the jersey bull in a fight for his females.

I am not sure how big a mature cape buffalo bull is as I have never seen a fully grown one. saw a young one once and he snorted and jumped at me and even though I was on the other side of a good fence he made me step back.
Never saw one in person but the Robert Ruark quote always comes to mind when people talk about their attitude, " A buffalo looks at you like you owe him money"

They're not that big, a big mature bull probably weighs no more than 1700 lbs, but they certainly have the attitude to match a Tasmanian Devil

What on earth has happened with this thread? Water Buffalo, Cape Buffalo, Wildebeest, aside...are there any other breeds that you don't feel you would ever use, for any reason?

I wouldn't use any breeds other than angus bulls over charolais cows simply because it works so well. If I was to try anything else it might be angus over simmental. The two way cross is underrated.

I for one appreciate the restraint in not seizing upon an opportunity for breed bashing.....

After all a lot of this is based on personal choice and market and environment and a host of other variables.

I for one would not dare tell someone in Alberta or Abileen what breed i think they should not use.

Latest posts