Breaking dog from chasing cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":1t2euc6o said:
As soon as the dog gets an eye on the cattle and starts acting like he wants to go you pop the dog on the nose and say "get out of there" do it several times until the dog looks away. Then go on. Next day do it again. Go by the cows and when the dog locks his eyes on the cows tell him "get out of there" and start swatting him on top the nose.

you can use this technique to teach the dog to leave anything alone, cats, food on the floor, etc

I teach the command "Leave it" - back when I showed dogs in AKC obedience trials they were often held in conjunction with conformation shows (pretty dog shows) and there was always someone throwing food in the next ring trying to keep their foo foo poodle's attention - what he was going to get was a 75# chocolate lab jumping the little ring gate :oops: (she was always up for any kind of food)
obviously this was a very important command as the judge wouldn't have thought that was appropriate behavior :mad:

"Leave it" is the command I use, as well. So far - my dogs are 7 years old - I have not encountered anything that they do not drop/turn away from immediately as soon as I give that command.

mdmdogs3":29rhijty said:
you can use this technique to teach the dog to leave anything alone, cats, food on the floor, etc

Definatley, that command will come in handy when the dog knows it. It is like saying "stop what you are doing right now" but shorter so it is easier to train the dog.

Too many people just want to eliminate the problem by not going around cows... :roll: Take the time to correct it. It may take 2yrs for the dog to be rock solid in the command but you will enjoy the next 8yrs with the dog alot more than if you had not corrected the problem and stuck the dog in a pin.

Tie it on a rope and take it out with you.

When it goes after the cattle yank it over, pin it down and reassure the dog thay behavior is not wanted (by being stern)

My dog use to chase cattle, now she can walk out with me and the calves even come up and sniff her.

Latest posts