Breaking dog from chasing cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
My wifes dog has a bad habit of chasing cattle. The dog , cady, is a city dog and I would like to eventually get her used to being around cattle without chasing them.
We currently keep her , the dog, on a leash when around cattle. Cady stays in her fenced yard during the day-- any suggestions?

denoginnizer":1simdmi6 said:
My wifes dog has a bad habit of chasing cattle. The dog , cady, is a city dog and I would like to eventually get her used to being around cattle without chasing them.
We currently keep her , the dog, on a leash when around cattle. Cady stays in her fenced yard during the day-- any suggestions?

I wouldn't use a shock collar except as a last resort, because too many dogs figure it out, and because it is useless without the collar and shocker. First off, I would work on her obedience training - until I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that she knows what 'no' means, that she will come on command - regardless of what she is chasing, or what is in her yard - will lay down, and stay on command reliably. Then I would take her for walks around the cattle, on a leash, so I could correct her behaviour immediately. I would then progress to walks on a longer rope - she has a little more freedom, but I can still control the situation. If she does not have a good base of obedience training, it is all a waste of time because she will not mind off leash - dogs are not stupid, they know when you have physical control of them and when you don't.

msscamp":3n4j4fxu said:
I wouldn't use a shock collar except as a last resort, because too many dogs figure it out, and because it is useless without the collar and shocker. First off, I would work on her obedience training - until I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that she knows what 'no' means, that she will come on command - regardless of what she is chasing, or what is in her yard - will lay down, and stay on command reliably. Then I would take her for walks around the cattle, on a leash, so I could correct her behaviour immediately. I would then progress to walks on a longer rope - she has a little more freedom, but I can still control the situation. If she does not have a good base of obedience training, it is all a waste of time because she will not mind off leash - dogs are not stupid, they know when you have physical control of them and when you don't.

This just bears repeating.

Wifes dog? Do you like it or would you like to see it gone?

Claim a neighbour "must have shot it for chasing because, "Honest honey I have not seen Pookie all week." Be sure to bury it deep.

Shock collar works - but you need to leave a dummy on when it is not in use - works great on hunting dogs - but they figure it out pretty quick. Used properly they are a great tool and not a torture machine - so do not worry about the inhumane / humane part - responsibly used they are wonderful.

Obedience is good - if you have the time, patience and maybe money.

Or drag a 40 foot rope from it - when it chases - grab the rope, haul it in and beat the crap out of it.

Or final resort - give it to someone you do not like and start over?

Probably lots more ways - but you have an uphill battle. Or bring it here and put it out with my cows a week after calving season. They usually stand their ground pretty good. Even my dogs cannot make the move without a serious fight. Dogs learned early to keep away.

Or, you can do this and yes it works. Pen up a couple of quiet cattle - a whole bunch is better - and put your dog pen in the middle of the pen (in it's own pen). Leave the dog in it's pen with some food and water - two days (three is better) and walk away. Time you return the mutt will have shut up. Repeat as required - I only ever repeated this once.

There ya' go.

Good luck - :D ,

Bez

Was the dog kept in a fenced yard in the city? If so, then that's what it knows and that's where it needs to say. My dogs have been behind a fence their whole lives, and the one or two times I thought I would give them a treat and let them out, they ran and ran and ran and I was a nervous wreck until I got them back. And, if I'd not been so relieved to get them back, I'd have...well never mind...

Avoid frustration and temptation to do what I was thinking I'd l like to do when mine ran and ran...leave the dog in the yard and get a dog that you can train to do what you'd like for it to do. Your wife's dog is safer behind the fence in the yard. And your sanity and marriage are worth something.

Alice

What kind of dog-what is it bred to do?
Friend of mine couldn't figgure out why her dog killed the rabbits.Asked "What kind of dog" "Malimute~~~OH,and Wolf hybred.." Told her to watch the kids real close if they wern't gonna get rid of the dog...which they should...

Bez>":198kt1f0 said:
Claim a neighbour "must have shot it for chasing because, "Honest honey I have not seen Pookie all week." Be sure to bury it deep.

Bez

Post hole digger works good.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1x20be6b said:
Bez>":1x20be6b said:

Bez

cfpinz

A joke!! A joke!! I promise I meant it as a joke!

Yer gonna' make me look bad. :D

Bez>

Agree...a cow that doesn't like dogs will train the little fella real quick....the dog may even survive.
Or, you can spend the time and work the dog on a leash with the cows.
Our Springer has been stomped, kicked like a soccer ball and pushed through a fence...has a healthy respect for cattle now but still will get between Susie and a cow.
Just my two bits worth...asked for or not.....Dmc

Does the dog get enough exercise?

Back before I lived on the farm one of my Labs would take off any chance she got (not often, I lived within 1/2 a block of 2 busy streets). I'd then spend 30 min or so following her all over the neighborhood with treats and my other dog as bait. Eventually she would allow me to catch her. (Do you remember that I taught dog obedience classes :oops: ) When she got to the farm for our visits, she was possessed for the first couple of days; she would run and run, sometimes chasing a squirrel, stray cat, or even a cow that would then fight back.
I assumed then and know now that her whole problem was she needed lots more exercise than she got. After she moved here, instead of 90% of her time being spent in the house, 99% of her time is spent outside. And her yard went from a postage stamp to about 20 acres (plus the pastures).
The chasing of everything has all but ended and I haven't seen her even look at a cow for months and months.

Bez>":1w606pjs said:
cfpinz":1w606pjs said:
Bez>":1w606pjs said:

Bez

cfpinz

A joke!! A joke!! I promise I meant it as a joke!

Yer gonna' make me look bad. :D

Bez>

Yeah right ;-) I have been thinking 22 dog is trained.

CB,

This is the 21'st century. Every animal now has feelings and they must be respected.

Every dog owner has feelings as well.

Your blunt manner simply hurts them to the core.

To talk of death and shooting - well, that is simply not on.

I know you know this. After all you are a man who lives and works in the country. You are at one with nature.

You truly need to get in touch with your feelings and learn to perhaps express yourself in a more clear and decisive manner - yet one that does not offend the sensibilities of those who read these boards.

One that shows the love you should have for Mom Nature and finest creature - the family pup.

There are those who believe a dog has the same rights as a human - those people pay taxes and their feelings need to be known and heard.

Your shameful attitude towards beautiful creatures like the family pet are a discredit to us all!

Bez>

P.S. I personally think a .22 is too small. Something like a .25-.06 has a far better result - and it reaches out a bit further as well.

b :D

Bez>":3t1j13nq said:
CB,

This is the 21'st century. Every animal now has feelings and they must be respected.

Every dog owner has feelings as well.

Your blunt manner simply hurts them to the core.

To talk of death and shooting - well, that is simply not on.

I know you know this. After all you are a man who lives and works in the country. You are at one with nature.

You truly need to get in touch with your feelings and learn to perhaps express yourself in a more clear and decisive manner - yet one that does not offend the sensibilities of those who read these boards.

One that shows the love you should have for Mom Nature and finest creature - the family pup.

There are those who believe a dog has the same rights as a human - those people pay taxes and their feelings need to be known and heard.

Your shameful attitude towards beautiful creatures like the family pet are a discredit to us all!

Bez>

P.S. I personally think a .22 is too small. Something like a .25-.06 has a far better result - and it reaches out a bit further as well.

b :D

You know me Mr.P.C.

Keep the dog behind the fence, and no one will need to be PC.

Alice

Alice":110bvehl said:
Was the dog kept in a fenced yard in the city? If so, then that's what it knows and that's where it needs to say. My dogs have been behind a fence their whole lives, and the one or two times I thought I would give them a treat and let them out, they ran and ran and ran and I was a nervous wreck until I got them back. And, if I'd not been so relieved to get them back, I'd have...well never mind...

Avoid frustration and temptation to do what I was thinking I'd l like to do when mine ran and ran...leave the dog in the yard and get a dog that you can train to do what you'd like for it to do. Your wife's dog is safer behind the fence in the yard. And your sanity and marriage are worth something.

Alice

I'm not sure I entirely agree with you, Alice. Both of my dogs were city dogs for roughly the first 2 years of their lives, and all they knew was a fenced yard. I can let them out to run - I could do that from day 1 - and they will come when I call them, and have never offered to chase the cattle or horses (I made sure they knew better than that, because cattle chasing is an instant death sentence around here - I don't care who the dog belongs to, or what the circumstances are). People, however, are a different story - my female dislikes men and will get around behind them and nip their heels/ankles. :oops:

A "good" cow will not fix the problem... it just gets the dog more hyped up. The only way the cow will fix the problem is by killing the dog.

The way we train our hunting dogs and family pets is to start off by driving by the cattle with the dog tied up where you can correct the dog. You can also walk the dog out there but I think we all know the risk of walking around cows with dogs.

As soon as the dog gets an eye on the cattle and starts acting like he wants to go you pop the dog on the nose and say "get out of there" do it several times until the dog looks away. Then go on. Next day do it again. Go by the cows and when the dog locks his eyes on the cows tell him "get out of there" and start swatting him on top the nose.

Just repeat it over and over. Eventually when you go by the cows the dog will just look away. You don't have to HIT the dog... just a little swat to break their attention off the cattle and to recodnize that you are giving a command. If the dog is not use to taking commands it will take longer.

If the dog still continues after doing that for a while then go from swatting on the nose to popping on the rear with a rope or leash.... again not beat the dog with a rope. A quick pop to get their attention from the cattle to you. Make sure the dog is tied up so that when you pop the dog it doesn't run off. That does no good.

It makes no difference wether the dog is from the city or country, big dog little dog, Blue Healer, Pit Bull, Heinz 57.... be consistant and put a little time in and you can correct the dog no matter what. It is worth it in the end... nothing is better to have around then a well trained dog.

Latest posts