• 25% - 50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50% - 75%

• 75% - 100%

• Total voters
*Cowgirl*":etsbnjnl said:
What percentage of your cattle is black or mostly black?
i answered the pol as 25% black hides.the reason for that is their daddy was a hereford an momma was a holstein.now they are turning mostly red hided cows.

I voted for around 1-25, since I was basing how many black calves that we bought in this year's herd, but since me and my folks don't have a permanent herd, a lot of the time it varies from 0% to 75%, depending on what and where we purchase steer calves every year.

Can someone please change the market... I just dont enjoy looking at a herd of all black cattle....

Interesting marks so far. Even though I voted 1-25%, its the blacks that are bringing the higher numbers at the sales. I will eventually achieve a 50% ratio of black/ black baldies, and reds.

dun":2pn3cink said:
curtis":2pn3cink said:
All Angus, sold all of my red limousins.

Are those real Angus or the black ones?

dun

Dun, i couldn,t find any of the real ones down here an didn,t want to travel very far so i had to settle for second best, black. :) :)

I'm at exactly 25%, personally. 1 of the 4 head that I own is a black lineback heifer.

99% Black and all registered fullblood cattle . Not an Angus animal on our farm. In fact the Black Angus may have got it's color from one of our breeds.

guest25":y4hl2q0b said:
KANSAS":y4hl2q0b said:
Can someone please change the market... I just dont enjoy looking at a herd of all black cattle....

Just hang in there i posted about two years ago how the premiums were fading. Color is just a preference of the breeder because of hyped illusions not the packers any more.

Table 1. Effect of Sire Breed on CAB Acceptance Rates.
Sire Breed
Solely
Angus 27.5%

Predominantly
Angus 18.7%

Brangus 10.6%

Other
Breeds 13.8%

Unknown 11.3%

This is my opinion based on my limited experience only, and working with only colored cattle. I am a small, small farmer.

I am tending to agree with guest25.... I see the premiums shrinking on color alone at the sale barn for weaned calves. The backgrounding and quality of the calves I believe is starting to make a bigger impact.... why?...

...Because personally, I have found that fat cattle sold that are of better quality AND not necessarily black, will bring me just as much as a comparable black hided animal.... I don't see a premium.

I take that back, I see a premium for buying the reds and smokies and roans for a cheaper price as a feeder calf.

Just an FYI - I am not biased....I have 15 all solid black calves at the moment, that are some great quality... went to a sale during a raging blizzard and could not pass up the deal. Also only bought 1/4 of what I normally buy in the fall because of higher grain prices and only wanted to finish enough to keep regular customers satisfied.

Michele

If I was in the business of trying to sell red bulls in my particular area I would be out of business. My bull customers come here looking for black bulls probably on a 40-1 ratio. Depending on what type of cattle business you are in it is extremely important to have what people are seeking to buy.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Seems like the Northern cattle are mostly BA now with a quite a few charolais bulls.

guest25":23xi0xi1 said:
KMacGinley":23xi0xi1 said:
You might want to visit a sale barn sometime Guest. :D

i think you might want to reread the word was packers. One more thing start doing some research with an opennnn mind it might scare the do do out of you to really see how inept it is to focus on color rather than quality.

Matter of fact you could learn a lot from the Irish black web site. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE just how far off base focusing on color has really taken the cattle industry.

All breeds should be able to see where they have screwed up from this site.

Let me rephrase, check out prices at the salebarn for black fats sometime as compared to colored cattle. :)

Latest posts