Black white faced baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I took a pot load to the sale last week and averaged 1.55 a lb. on the black white faced baldie steers, they averaged about 410lbs. They definatley toped the market over the rest of the load and were out of some cheap ole hereford cows I had. Suddenly I'm in the market for some more hereford cows, they seem to be alot cheaper around here anyway.

Rod, that is usually a quick way to make some money. Buy short solid or broken mouth springer herefords and freshen them out and raise the calf to 400 lbs and weigh out both the cow and the calf. I have a set of broken mouth herefords that I bought a month ago for 450 and they are calving now. They will have 400 lb calves by July 1 and should bring from 400-600 each, depending on calf price at that time, and the cows will weigh 1000 lbs and bring from 45-65 cents each, depending on slaughter price. Pay 450 for the cow and feed her hay 2 months and grass 4 months and get from 800-1200 back for her---good recipe for success.

Sounds loke a good plan to me.
A cheaper way of getting the baldies for sure. My first approach was with my angus/brangus cows and hereford bull. The cost of these cows by far exeeds that of the herefords. I'M in favor of the hereford cow approach for sure.

I found this topic by using a search. I have 8 black heifers and have been looking for a bull. I had been told by most that certain angus bulls would be best for breeding first-time heifers but today I had my County Agent out for a first visit and when the subject came up, he kept talking about Hereford bulls. What I'm looking for is an easy calving bull. I'm not so much concerned with what type of calf I get this time, just want to get the girls first one on the ground as easy as possible. Next batch I'll be more selective. Is a Hereford bull considered a good bull for first timers? More so than an Angus? What bull would be best for my purpose? Isn't a Hereford considered one of the most docile breeds?

With proper selection a Hereford will calve as easy as an Angus. The difficult part may be finding a suitable Hereford

dun

Easy calving bulls are available in most breeds, however the expense and time involved finding one usually makes it difficult. If you breed those heifers to a longhorn, you will get no calving trouble and a real lively calf, but it wont sell as well. If you get an angus bull you will also have no calving trouble, unless you get one of the modern types that are no longer traditional angus. The angus calf will sell better. I would definitely recommend one of those two breeds.

Thanks guys. The way he seemed to be pushing Hereford bulls I thought there must be some advantage over Angus. Guess I'll just stay with the origional plan.

Hasbeen":3frs7u1u said:
Thanks guys. The way he seemed to be pushing Hereford bulls I thought there must be some advantage over Angus. Guess I'll just stay with the origional plan.

Herefords are good cattle don't rule anything out to you do your homework. Every breeder sounds like a preacher at a creek crossing tying to holler up a revival.

Caustic Burno":1y1bvi1r said:
Hasbeen":1y1bvi1r said:

Herefords are good cattle don't rule anything out to you do your homework. Every breeder sounds like a preacher at a creek crossing tying to holler up a revival.

Did my homework, read everything I could find, talked to a lot of people, and had decided on an Angus bull. The agent just had me thinking there was something I had missed and since I gotten good advise here so far, figured it wouldn't hurt to check it out with you guys. I like herefords. If I hadn't spent a good deal at time at the local stockyards studying what was bringing the most money, I probably would have gone with Herefords to begin with. There're just always what I thought of when I thought of beef.
As for Longhorns, here in SE Kentucky, I've seen more buffalo than I have longhorns. Pretty rare breed around here.

Hasbeen":2y87f7ww said:
Caustic Burno":2y87f7ww said:
Hasbeen":2y87f7ww said:

Did my homework, read everything I could find, talked to a lot of people, and had decided on an Angus bull. The agent just had me thinking there was something I had missed and since I gotten good advise here so far, figured it wouldn't hurt to check it out with you guys. I like herefords. If I hadn't spent a good deal at time at the local stockyards studying what was bringing the most money, I probably would have gone with Herefords to begin with. There're just always what I thought of when I thought of beef.
As for Longhorns, here in SE Kentucky, I've seen more buffalo than I have longhorns. Pretty rare breed around here.

Angus are good cattle if you have a goat proof fence and you can stand all the preachin.

Hereford bulls onAngus cows to me is the best cross out there. Angus cows, well they make godd recips and that is what I use for recips. I have some Red Angus Recips as well. :cboy:

Latest posts