Black Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

i just dont understand how they could come up with black herefords without adding some of another breed in there.

You can't. It's a cross like any other "composite bull" being sold out there.

NO!!!!!! the next thing you're going to tell me is there is no Father Christmas, either?

jhambley":1ymu6q16 said:
i just dont understand how they could come up with black herefords without adding some of another breed in there.

So its basically a hereford crossed with a angus or some other black hided breed?

Ashton V":33nl85n7 said:
jhambley":33nl85n7 said:

So its basically a hereford crossed with a angus or some other black hided breed?
No, it's a Hereford crossed with an angus period.

backhoeboogie":phcdmpuo said:
Didn't we already hash this one out a while back?
Just like a bad penny. It pops back up, almost as often as CAB

dun":hxkdslt3 said:
backhoeboogie":hxkdslt3 said:
Didn't we already hash this one out a while back?
Just like a bad penny. It pops back up, almost as often as CAB

That last one went seven pages. I double dog dared CB to start a white angues thread. Learned a lesson there too. He started a white angus thread that went on and on. Had forgotten that unti I started reviewing this old Black Herf thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=63171&p=739012&hilit=Black+Herefords#p739012

In the UK the term "Black Hereford" is used for the F1 Fresian/Holstien Hereford cross which are popular for breeding to either Aberdeen Angus or Limousin, usually for barley beef finishing terminals.

andybob":2q81892n said:
In the UK the term "Black Hereford" is used for the F1 Fresian/Holstien Hereford cross which are popular for breeding to either Aberdeen Angus or Limousin, usually for barley beef finishing terminals.
The black hereford association in the US is angus X Hereford then bred back to Hereford till all that is left of the angus is basically color.
Everyone except the people pushing them just calls them black baldys

dun":1rfs303r said:
andybob":1rfs303r said:
The black hereford association in the US is angus X Hereford then bred back to Hereford till all that is left of the angus is basically color.

Haha now that you explained what a "black hereford" is, why the heck would anyone want to register these animals? I have black baldies and the heifers make great mamas and the steers feed out nicely. But registering them seems pointless to me.

Ashton V":1f97j1ar said:
Haha now that you explained what a "black hereford" is, why the heck would anyone want to register these animals? I have black baldies and the heifers make great mamas and the steers feed out nicely. But registering them seems pointless to me.
The only ones making any money off the deal is the association for registering and the shysters that are selling them as registered black baldys

Ashton V":3nddeqsr said:
dun":3nddeqsr said:
andybob":3nddeqsr said:

thats the whole purpose in the baldy to begin with.. not to breed em till all the F1 qualities are gone the F1 is superior to them sept for being a card carrier :cowboy:

To me they are as said before a Hereford/Angus cross bred back to a Hereford. We have had lots of them but absolutely won't keep a one for replacement. They simply raise the worst of dink calves when compared to the F1 black baldies, the straight blacks that the F1s came from, or the straight Herefords in the F1 mix.

I would stay away as far as possible. You need to terminal your F1s or maybe go back black but that may only hide them in the herd and you won't see the awful offsring as clearly.

If you observe closely they are different than the F1s as they are just Hereford marked with black instead of red.

Idaman":2jrpgt1o said:
To me they are as said before a Hereford/Angus cross bred back to a Hereford. We have had lots of them but absolutely won't keep a one for replacement. They simply raise the worst of dink calves when compared to the F1 black baldies, the strainght blacks that the F1s came from, or the straight Herefords in the F1 mix.

I would stay away as far as possible. You need to terminal your F1s or maybe go back black but that may only hide them in the herd and you won't see the awful offsring as clearly.
In crossbreeding I;ve heard and read about breed regression when you include one of the parent breeds in an F1, wonder if that's what this is

So a 31/32 % Hereford with say a Homo black hide would be great to use on red hide cattle (Red Angus) to get f-1 Black Baldies....

Would also be CAB material, RIGHT

Now everyone can qualify for CAB....

dun":ybcqxzuv said:
Idaman":ybcqxzuv said:
To me they are as said before a Hereford/Angus cross bred back to a Hereford. We have had lots of them but absolutely won't keep a one for replacement. They simply raise the worst of dink calves when compared to the F1 black baldies, the strainght blacks that the F1s came from, or the straight Herefords in the F1 mix.

In crossbreeding I;ve heard and read about breed regression when you include one of the parent breeds in an F1, wonder if that's what this is

In my mind it is. Since we can't run three herds in the summer so we go back black but feel that may only be masking the problem.

Most of them that I have seen pictures of are a disgrace to both breeds. It is amazing how quality can fall so far when all you care about his color and paper

oakcreekfarms":28nnj3hm said:
Most of them that I have seen pictures of are a disgrace to both breeds. It is amazing how quality can fall so far when all you care about his color and paper
:lol: I was looking at the Black Hereford web site thinking "dem cows don't look right" then I noticed they all had balls. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts