Black Cross-Bred Texas Longhorn Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":thuc1iei said:
They are derived from cattle from Africa that puts every LH a possible carrier of the gene.
Doesn't mean all Longhorns has it and in fact very few Longhorns has African horn gene. I think you are exaggerating about them have it.

bird dog":21timqbd said:
What matters is your costs versus your return.

Exactly. Texas Longhorns are low-maintenance cattle and can maintain weight on lower quality feed than other breeds of cattle. That means you do not have to sell the calves for as much as say Angus cattle to make them profitable. Of course there are many other factors that go into making a profit with cattle.

Thank you.

Bullitt":3tyabcn0 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3tyabcn0 said:

I've posted this pic before. I was a little late getting him weaned, but 655 at 6.5 months. No creep feed, or grain to the cow. This was her first calf. Just goes to show what a good bull can do to clean up a junk cow. LOL

Wow, 655 pounds at 6.5 months is good. I would be happy with that.

Just to be clear, is that calf all Longhorn or a cross?

At what weight do you normally sell your calves?

That calf is 3/4 Angus. We normally sell at an average of 600 or so at about 30-40 days post weaning. That calf is certainly above average.....by a lot.

Longhorn heifers that I have 50%LH or more crossed with beef breed eat about 15% less than regular beef animals, cows have at least double the life. Oldest I have right now is from 1992.

mpassmore85":3rgs5x70 said:
Longhorn heifers that I have 50%LH or more crossed with beef breed eat about 15% less than regular beef animals, cows have at least double the life. Oldest I have right now is from 1992.
Do you ever get a horned calf from a full Longhorn cow and beef bull?

Just a couple but those definitely have ankole/watusi bloody going back several generations

Muddy":2h4tdfjq said:
Do you ever get a horned calf from a full Longhorn cow and beef bull?

I see many people concerned about horns, but I do not understand why. When a calf is less than two months old the horn nubs come off very easily.

I suppose horns are one more thing to worry about. But I think the horns can be removed quickly when calves are vaccinated and bulls are castrated.

Yea simple electric device that burns the root out when they are a couple months old super easy. We usually don't brand anything but heifers we keep (and do that when they are yearlings)

mpassmore85":3f8qoao3 said:
Attached are 6 month old heifers (averaging 600-680 lbs) Angus cross. All at least 75% longhorn blood. (Solid cows make solid calves)

Great heifers for any beef program I'd use black simmental myself to beef up a bit more

got any pictures of the cows ??

FarmFence - your calf is great. but..... so is your cow.
You don't take crappy cows & get GREAT calves overnight. A cow eats according to her body weight. Cows with no body weight, don't eat much, making her an easy keeper.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":tg19yduj said:
You don't take crappy cows & get GREAT calves overnight. A cow eats according to her body weight. Cows with no body weight, don't eat much, making her an easy keeper.

Cept that skunk color would get you killed here. That is about the absolute worse color to run through the barn no matter the breeding.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":147hukg8 said:

I'll sort of agree with you, but not all the way. I would argue that it's possible for cows to have differing metabolisms, but that's just for the sake of arguing. I need to load that cow up and take her to the scales, just to know for sure what she weighs. I'm going to guess her to be 1,000-1,050.....but I'm not a good guesser. Thank you for the compliment!

Caustic Burno":1ujb3v9x said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ujb3v9x said:

Cept that skunk color would get you killed here. That is about the absolute worse color to run through the barn no matter the breeding.

For the 158th time......Anyone who takes these calves to the sale, without having two interested bidders, is screwing up. My buyer actually requests the skunks that we raise, because he knows the 3 cows they all go back to. The skunks off my place are performers.

A niche cow for a niche market is not a performer.
A performer rings the bell at any of the local auctions.
Your one death away from having severely docked cattle.

Farm Fence Solutions":3h6rak6c said:
Caustic Burno":3h6rak6c said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3h6rak6c said:

For the 158th time......Anyone who takes these calves to the sale, without having two interested bidders, is screwing up. My buyer actually requests the skunks that we raise, because he knows the 3 cows they all go back to. The skunks off my place are performers.
It's apparent you have a different type of buyer, around here at any of the sale barns I frequently trade with that calf would get stolen. Just goes to show that good feed - grass can make a decent cow - calf no matter the breeding.

Grit the color dock is BS and we all know it. They are all the same color when the hide comes off.
The dock is big and real and is the difference in working cows and welfare cows.

True Grit Farms":xejtu5z7 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":xejtu5z7 said:
Caustic Burno":xejtu5z7 said:

It's apparent you have a different type of buyer, around here at any of the sale barns I frequently trade with that calf would get stolen. Just goes to show that good feed - grass can make a decent cow - calf no matter the breeding.

Yes sir. We have a few standard sale barns within driving distance, but we also have a co-op feederyard right here in my hometown. No trader cattle, and the buyer gets a full history on the calves, including where they come from. Everything has to come direct from the farm.....no trash. It's a better place to sell cattle that might need some explaining.

Latest posts