Black cattle. Why?

Help Support CattleToday:

edde_1

Reaction score
Why are you from the u.s. so perverse about black cattle?
Every breed over there has gone black? And i can´t figure out why. Black simms, black chars, black limousin, etc.
If a cow in sweden has a color that isn´t the traditional color of the breed she will be called a mix and can´t be registred.

So give me good reasons why black is better?

And i dont buy that you call black simms, chars, etc. pure and full blood. Thats just crazy, they are just more or less angus!

edde_1":1l6ynoq6 said:
Every breed over there has gone black? And i can´t figure out why. Black simms, black chars, black limousin, etc.
If a cow in sweden has a color that isn´t the traditional color of the breed she will be called a mix and can´t be registred.

And i dont buy that you call black simms, chars, etc. pure and full blood. Thats just crazy, they are just more or less angus!
edde_1 - This is a question which has been debated on these posts several times, and it is a good subject for discussion. However, most of the discussions concerning Black-hided cattle have been proposed in a little more congenial manner than yours seems to effect.

The Registration requirements of most of the breeds being registered in the United States are rather specific, and the primary purposes of which are to ascertain that the genetic inheritance factors, traits and characteristics remain pure for that particular breed. There is no question that there has been cross breeding done for the purposes of improvements of Phenotype and Genotype of the various breeds which have been imported to the US in the last 40 - 50 years, but the Rules of Registration of the different breeds regulate the percentages which can be included in the Registry's. The Homozygosity of certain characteristics - Black Hide color being one of them along with polledness, dictates certain phenotypic and genotypic characteristics. (Review Gregor Johann Mendel's "Laws of Inheritance" which include the Four Principles of Hereditary Phenomena).

The black hide color is a result of breeding cattle with the Dominant Gene of black hide to other cattle with a recessive gene for hide color, and the quality of the black-hided cattle several years ago carried traits which were important to cattle producers insofar as the financial returns they provided when they were marketed. Therefore, being intelligent and economically-minded, they naturally gravitated toward the cattle which made them a profit. Black hided cattle did that. And the Packers and Order buyers soon realized that Black hides usually brought more money on the market. Being brilliant Americans, they soon made it the "trend" to market Black-hided cattle.

Your use of the word "Perverse" is unfortunate inasmuch as the definition of "Perverse" is "Deviating from what is considered right or good; wrong, improper, etc. or corrupt, wicked, etc.; perverted." Black-hided cattle, of course, do NOT come under the purview of "Perverse", therefore your question AND the rather extensive answer is consequently - moot.

I do hope, however, that this satisfies your 'need to know' why black is better!

. . . .and it isn't "Just crazy" as you so inappropriately phrased your opinion.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":34zco7dw said:
edde_1":34zco7dw said:

edde_1 - This is a question which has been debated on these posts several times, and it is a good subject for discussion. However, most of the discussions concerning Black-hided cattle have been proposed in a little more congenial manner than yours seems to effect.

The Registration requirements of most of the breeds being registered in the United States are rather specific, and the primary purposes of which are to ascertain that the genetic inheritance factors, traits and characteristics remain pure for that particular breed. There is no question that there has been cross breeding done for the purposes of improvements of Phenotype and Genotype of the various breeds which have been imported to the US in the last 40 - 50 years, but the Rules of Registration of the different breeds regulate the percentages which can be included in the Registry's. The Homozygosity of certain characteristics - Black Hide color being one of them along with polledness, dictates certain phenotypic and genotypic characteristics. (Review Gregor Johann Mendel's "Laws of Inheritance" which include the Four Principles of Hereditary Phenomena).

The black hide color is a result of breeding cattle with the Dominant Gene of black hide to other cattle with a recessive gene for hide color, and the quality of the black-hided cattle several years ago carried traits which were important to cattle producers insofar as the financial returns they provided when they were marketed. Therefore, being intelligent and economically-minded, they naturally gravitated toward the cattle which made them a profit. Black hided cattle did that. And the Packers and Order buyers soon realized that Black hides usually brought more money on the market. Being brilliant Americans, they soon made it the "trend" to market Black-hided cattle.

Your use of the word "Perverse" is unfortunate inasmuch as the definition of "Perverse" is "Deviating from what is considered right or good; wrong, improper, etc. or corrupt, wicked, etc.; perverted." Black-hided cattle, of course, do NOT come under the purview of "Perverse", therefore your question AND the rather extensive answer is consequently - moot.

I do hope, however, that this satisfies your 'need to know' why black is better!

. . . .and it isn't "Just crazy" as you so inappropriately phrased your opinion.

DOC HARRIS

My english has it´s limits when it comes to technical language. But have i understand it rigth if i interpret what u wrote as if the black and black hided cattle has better carcass, got "better" meat, etc? And therefore gives more money in the end. Or is it only the market that think it like that, and the producers give them what they want?

edde_1":3u0laehw said:

Nobody says that black Simmentals, Limousins, Gelbveihs, Maine Anjous, Salers, Chianinas, etc are 'better' than their more traditionally marked "purer" breedmates. Here in the US, the Angus association has engaged in a 30 year BRILLIANT marketing campaign to convince the public that "Angus" is superior beef. As a result, Angus influenced calves typically bring more $$$ per pound (or Euros per kilogram for our European friends) than red, brown, white, or yellow calves. As a result, to keep their bull buyers many cattle breeds descided to promote Black cattle so that theirs could also pass as "Certified Angus Beef". I don't think anybody really LIKES that decision; but breed purity and phenotype are secondary to making money in this business. IF the bull buyers want a Simmental that LOOKS like a thick Angus, we will find a way too give him that.

Battering breeds

Breed and color, as indiscernibly linked as those traits sometimes may be, played an important role for buyers in the Arkansas sale barns. Buyers changed their preferences slightly over the past five years, but yellow-white face, yellow, black-white faced and black calves received selling prices above the 2005 average price. They discounted gray, gray-white faced, white, red-white faced, red and spotted or striped calves.

As seems common in the industry, cattle buyers leaned more toward discounts than premiums. They paid from $2.34 above the average to a discount of $10.73 below the average last year.

When breed specificity could be determined, buyers paid premiums of $4.56/cwt. to $1.91/cwt. for Hereford × Charolais, Angus × Hereford, Angus, Charolais × Limousin, Angus × Limousin, Angus × Charolais, and Hereford × Brahman × Angus cattle. They also increased the discounts on some cattle in 2005, including Longhorn, Saler and Simmental.

Like it or not, breed matters in the markets. Troxel says eight of the 23 breed crosses identified sold above average and 15 sold below. Of the 10 color patterns identified, only four sold above average.

Frame score continued to be important to buyers, but preferences changed a bit since 2000. For one, discounts on small cattle increased from an average of $18.52/cwt. to $20.96/cwt.

But buyers actually paid a 36¢ premium for medium-framed cattle in 2005, nearly $1/cwt. more than in 2000. They also decreased their premium on large-framed cattle to 52¢/cwt., about half that of 2000.

Brandonm2":1vn7fam9 said:
edde_1":1vn7fam9 said:

Nobody says that black Simmentals, Limousins, Gelbveihs, Maine Anjous, Salers, Chianinas, etc are 'better' than their more traditionally marked "purer" breedmates. Here in the US, the Angus association has engaged in a 30 year BRILLIANT marketing campaign to convince the public that "Angus" is superior beef. As a result, Angus influenced calves typically bring more $$$ per pound (or Euros per kilogram for our European friends) than red, brown, white, or yellow calves. As a result, to keep their bull buyers many cattle breeds descided to promote Black cattle so that theirs could also pass as "Certified Angus Beef". I don't think anybody really LIKES that decision; but breed purity and phenotype are secondary to making money in this business. IF the bull buyers want a Simmental that LOOKS like a thick Angus, we will find a way too give him that.

Ok, just what i thougt.
Althougt i think it´s regrettable that is like that. It´s seems to me that you are not longer working with different breedes and all their different characteristic. You just work with different colors.

I can see it sweden also, the breedes looks more like each other. The different between the breedes is less than the differents within the breedes.

Specially I see it on Angus and Hereford that gone alot bigger during the last ten years. Many purebreedes import semen and embryo from U.S. and Canada, i guess that why they are bigger now.

And when we got polled charolais and simmental (thank you so very much :heart:) Charolais and Simmentals looked almost the same exept for the color. Now we got Fleckwieh from Austria that give the simms back it origial looks.

Seems like taste and quality of beef would be more a function of diet and environmental conditions than breed and of course color.

edde_1":tphwgz1g said:

It's political correctness gone too far!

Just kidding! I haven't the foggist reason, other than people pointing out that this may be a fad stemming from marketing that the Black Angus is healthier for consumers than other breeds. The thing is, the consumer can't tell the difference between Black Angus meat and Kangaroo meat. I can attest to that fact as, when I was stationed in Germany, we got a load of Kangaroo meat that was sold to the military as beef. No-one knew the difference until the military food inspectors made the discovery. When the commasary was notified, they gave the meat away for free with the purchase of beef. I was a barbequing fool!

In the 17th century the Dutch became so obsessed with tulips and in collecting the rarest and most unusual varieties that some types for selling for the equivalent of a million dollars a bulb. Speculators invested fortunes, kind of like the real estate market, secure that they could turn around and reap huge profits from a quick sale.

Then the bubble burst. Fortunes were lost, and millionaires bankrupted by what had, after all, merely been an illusion.

So it is with 'black cows' or any other kind. Almost every breeder has some pseudo-rationalized explanation of why their breed is best but in reality beauty exists primarily in the mind of the beholder.

As long as some breeders can continue to convince the gullible that their breed really is far superior they can continue to make money by fleecing the sheep. Eventually, however, the gullible will have the scales lifted from their eyes and the bubble will burst just as it does with every fad, e.g., ostriches, emus, the 'dog (breed) of the month club, autos, women's fashions. It is a great ride while it lasts but all good things must come to an end.

Greetings from Kentucky, Edde_1,

People here in my area have caught the "black cow fever" too! And no one can give me a reason why all black cattle bring top dollar now....but if it so much as has a white spot on it....it's price drops substantially. I can not find a legitimate rason for this fad...all I know, is that I am now getting bargains on breeds of cattle that I like better than Angus. Give me a hereford or a longhorn any day over an angus! (And the difference between the breeds as far as meat quality is negligible- I have a Jersey in my freezer right now, and it's taste and texture is just the same as any other home-raised grass & grain fed steer.0

I'll gladly buck the trend and use this opportinity to get me some nice non-black cows at bargain prices!(my neighbor sells off any calf early that isn't 100% black!)

BAGTIC":1dgdg4hh said:
In the 17th century the Dutch became so obsessed with tulips and in collecting the rarest and most unusual varieties that some types for selling for the equivalent of a million dollars a bulb. Speculators invested fortunes, kind of like the real estate market, secure that they could turn around and reap huge profits from a quick sale.

Then the bubble burst. Fortunes were lost, and millionaires bankrupted by what had, after all, merely been an illusion.

So it is with 'black cows' or any other kind. Almost every breeder has some pseudo-rationalized explanation of why their breed is best but in reality beauty exists primarily in the mind of the beholder.

As long as some breeders can continue to convince the gullible that their breed really is far superior they can continue to make money by fleecing the sheep. Eventually, however, the gullible will have the scales lifted from their eyes and the bubble will burst just as it does with every fad, e.g., ostriches, emus, the 'dog (breed) of the month club, autos, women's fashions. It is a great ride while it lasts but all good things must come to an end.

I've been to the Netherlands. Guess what tulips sell at the highest prices? Washington State tulips from both the Skagit valley and from the Puyallup valley! There's signs all over boasting that they are selling "true" or "100% Puyallup or Skagit" tulips! Over here in Washington State, they boast they have Holland tulips. I live just outside of the Puyallup valley. It's a marketing ploy! We send the blooming flowers there, and they send the bulbs here. :roll:

Latest posts