Black Beefmaster Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score
DSCN14970014.jpg

This is a 4 year old Beefmaster bull. He was one of the top graded bulls in the 2005 Lasater sale. He's owned by Buster Beefmasters in Oologah, OK. This here is what you'd call a "real" black Beefmaster. I took this picture in April. He was coming out of a rough winter. He's not fat and fleshy, but the muscle is definitely there. What do you think?

EC

East Caney":3hyiylxr said:
DSCN14970014.jpg

This is a 4 year old Beefmaster bull. He was one of the top graded bulls in the 2005 Lasater sale. He's owned by Buster Beefmasters in Oologah, OK. This here is what you'd call a "real" black Beefmaster. I took this picture in April. He was coming out of a rough winter. He's not fat and fleshy, but the muscle is definitely there. What do you think?

EC
I think he's a fine looking bull though he's a little light boned for BM . but that probably came from where ever the black came from. is he {homozygous} for black?

he is a nice looking bull.an he shows the breeding thats in him.an he has proven he can winter an hold his condtion.i bet he is slick an fat now.

Very impressive bull. He's holding his on.I would like to see what his calves look like.

He is a real fine looking bull! Is that poo on his head or a white spot with poo staining? It's dangerous business checking those cows!

Okay, let's see if I can get everyone's questions answered...

TexasT, Here's 2 of his calves from last year. Both had 205 weights around 650. I don't have them in front of me, and I'm too lazy to call the owner, but I've heard both's weights, so I know I'm really close.

DSCN05700031.jpg

This picture is from mid-October, a January calf.

DSCN05660027.jpg

This is a picture from mid-October, a March calf. (I've posted a picture of this calf before)

Jovid, A lot of Lasater Ranch bulls have a twisted scrotum. No one knows what causes this (to my knowledge). It's commonly referred to as the "Colorado Twist". Some people argue that this would have an affect on udder quality...however, to my understanding, the Lasater Ranch has some of the most beautiful udders anywhere.

Fourstates, That's a white spot on his head...no "poo" included. :)

Alacowman, Being a Lasater bull, he's not going to have the same heavy bone as some of the BM bloodlines that breed for show. The Lasater Ranch breeds for functionality. Too much bone is of no interest. And the bone did come from the same place as the black...as I said, this is a "real" BM bull. What would you call him (as far as homo or heterozygosity) if I told you he's never had a black calf? :)

EC

East Caney":7jzh6n5q said:

TexasT, Here's 2 of his calves from last year. Both had 205 weights around 650. I don't have them in front of me, and I'm too lazy to call the owner, but I've heard both's weights, so I know I'm really close.

DSCN05700031.jpg

DSCN05660027.jpg

This is a picture from mid-October, a March calf. (I've posted a picture of this calf before)

Jovid, A lot of Lasater Ranch bulls have a twisted scrotum. No one knows what causes this (to my knowledge). It's commonly referred to as the "Colorado Twist". Some people argue that this would have an affect on udder quality...however, to my understanding, the Lasater Ranch has some of the most beautiful udders anywhere.

Alacowman, Being a Lasater bull, he's not going to have the same heavy bone as some of the BM bloodlines that breed for show. The Lasater Ranch breeds for functionality. Too much bone is of no interest. And the bone did come from the same place as the black...as I said,
  • >>this is a "real" BM bull.<<<
What would you call him (as far as homo or heterozygosity) if I told you he's never had a black calf? :)

EC
not arguing... but you said he's a "real" black beefmaster. i assummed you meant he was homozygous for black.. but he is still a fine bull regardless ;-)

ALACOWMAN":17wcoh30 said:
East Caney":17wcoh30 said:

DSCN05700031.jpg

DSCN05660027.jpg

Alacowman, Being a Lasater bull, he's not going to have the same heavy bone as some of the BM bloodlines that breed for show. The Lasater Ranch breeds for functionality. Too much bone is of no interest. And the bone did come from the same place as the black...as I said,
  • >>this is a "real" BM bull.<<<
What would you call him (as far as homo or heterozygosity) if I told you he's never had a black calf? :)

EC
not arguing... but you said he's a "real" black beefmaster. i assummed you meant he was homozygous for black.. but he is still a fine bull regardless ;-)

From the color on his ears and scrotum he may just be dark red . I dont think you will get any black calves from him .

He's a bull I wouldn't mind having. His calves look real good to me. Nice and long and thick.

I think what East Caney was referrring to when he said a "real black beefmaster" was the fact that a lot if not most of the black beefmaster bulls in the breed are black because of the upgrading program where the producer may have started with angus cattle base etc.Lasater ranch does have some black cattle but these are not from an upgrade program as it has been a closed herd for fifty years and they dna test their bulls to find the actual sire since they run multiple sire herds.They don't care about black cattle or trying to make them black.These black or partly black cattle are what i would call a sport or maybe just a "feak".They are not homo and do not breed true black.I had a black bull that was out of one of their retired herd sires.However he only had probably two or three black calves.The rest were either red or tiger stripe calves unless the mother was a weird color and then it was anybody's guess as to what it would look like. :lol2:

beefmasters":2luao6bp said:
I think what East Caney was referrring to when he said a "real black beefmaster"
  • >>was the fact that a lot if not most of the black beefmaster bulls in the breed are black because of the upgrading program<<<
where the producer may have started with angus cattle base etc.Lasater ranch does have some black cattle but these are not from an upgrade program as it has been a closed herd for fifty years and they dna test their bulls to find the actual sire since they run multiple sire herds.They don't care about black cattle or trying to make them black.These black or partly black cattle are what i would call a sport or maybe just a "feak".They are not homo and do not breed true black.I had a black bull that was out of one of their retired herd sires.However he only had probably two or three black calves.The rest were either red or tiger stripe calves unless the mother was a weird color and then it was anybody's guess as to what it would look like. :lol2:
now that makes sence.i thought it might be another attempt to jump on the bandwagon..

Alacowman,

My apologies...thinking and looking back on my statement, rearranging the words might help considerably. I said this was a "real black Beefmaster bull." What I should have said was "a real Beefmaster bull that's black." :D No "other" stuff mixed in. Before someone thinks I'm bashing, let me state this. I'm not against any breed (I feel like I have to say this all the time to keep from hurting someone's sensitive feelings or stepping on their toes). However, if I go to the store and ask for orange juice, I want orange juice. If I ask for apple juice, I want apple juice.

And regarding the bandwagon...I sold my ticket when I purchased FOUNDATION Beefmasters. I wish we could get some people to jump on the "quality cattle" bandwagon. That would be nice, for sure.

Beefmasters,

Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding.

EC

trin":9ziei0gp said:
i am looking for a young black beefmaster bull. i live in ky any advice

I'd pick the best beefmaster bull that I could afford, that fit my herd and what I was trying to do with it, without regard for color. But that's just me. Call me old fashioned in that way.

Considering the timing of the year when the pic was taken, I like that bull period. Regardless of color. The only thing you have to concern yourself with is the typical sheath issues with mesquite and prickly pear. And that bull doesn't have a "bad" sheath either. Just the same type of thing I concern myself with on my brangus bull.

I'd be proud to own that bull even tho he is not on the prescription for my program and goals. He'd be a great cross for my PB brangus cows.

Latest posts