Black Baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle":1wif3yfd said:
redfornow":1wif3yfd said:
Around here a good White Faced calf will top the market.
And you will not see many "good" heifer Baldies at the sale barn cause they are to easy to unload.
I have a standing order for high market steer price for whatever number of F1 hereford/angus heifers I will sell.

You ain't gonna see em at the barn most likely, why share the loot when all you have to do is call and they pick em up...

Just sayin

Guru,

Where is around here?

Ky

Starting to wonder if the hereford bull I just purchased this year is long for my pastures. I was getting very close to top dollar breeding Angus bulls to Chiangus, Brangus, and Angus cross cattle. If I am getting a noticeable discount next year when this hereford bull's first calves hit the ring he will be on the next thing smoking. Wanted some heterosis in my herd but not willing to take a discount to do it. Or at least will move him over to my Gerts and try to sell or make replcements and then send him on the next thing smoking.

u4411clb":k0lugruc said:
Starting to wonder if the hereford bull I just purchased this year is long for my pastures. I was getting very close to top dollar breeding Angus bulls to Chiangus, Brangus, and Angus cross cattle. If I am getting a noticeable discount next year when this hereford bull's first calves hit the ring he will be on the next thing smoking. Wanted some heterosis in my herd but not willing to take a discount to do it. Or at least will move him over to my Gerts and try to sell or make replcements and then send him on the next thing smoking.
And as soon as you send him off baldies will be the highest calf on the market. I wouldn't worry about it too much, chasing the latest fad can get pricey in a hurry.

Just a thought, will not the added weaning weight on baldie calves still make the seller money? And like iso says, the market will likely turn.

cow pollinater":1sq16zy2 said:
We've been seeing that around here for a long time. I get blasted for being ignorant every time I bring it up. :D Around here baldies sell at a slight discount unless they are bred heifers bred back to a black bull in which case nobody can afford them.

What is a slight discount?
Any idea why?

Thats the thing I didn't think of F1 Hereford x Angus based cows as a fad. I thought that was about as boring (aka surest shot at making money as my Dad would say) way to go after going with Angus bulls and and keeping replacements for probably a little too long. But I do still have the Angus bulls and it won't cost me anything to turn one of the Angus bulls out instead of the Hereford. If I am going to get docked I might as well get a Bradford or a Brangus bull and really push down the scales and take the knock.

Here in N.E. mont either of the true F1 baldies are the top of the market,if they are of equal type and quality. Some operators do the F1 thing on their poorer brood cows hopeing to bring the value of the calf up. Most order buyers just do'nt fall for everything, there are thin backed poor quarter'd baldies just like the poor'er straight breds, they do get a definite kick on their weanin weights so do indeed gain a little advantage.Fancy red or black baldies are almost impossible to beat. The true Angus people know this and are looking back over their shoulder trying to judge how soon this will catch up with them.

Beef Man":kmztttjv said:
Here in N.E. mont either of the true F1 baldies are the top of the market,if they are of equal type and quality. Some operators do the F1 thing on their poorer brood cows hopeing to bring the value of the calf up. Most order buyers just do'nt fall for everything, there are thin backed poor quarter'd baldies just like the poor'er straight breds, they do get a definite kick on their weanin weights so do indeed gain a little advantage.Fancy red or black baldies are almost impossible to beat. The true Angus people know this and are looking back over their shoulder trying to judge how soon this will catch up with them.
:nod: :nod:

Stocker Steve":rdpt8oi0 said:
cow pollinater":rdpt8oi0 said:
We've been seeing that around here for a long time. I get blasted for being ignorant every time I bring it up. :D Around here baldies sell at a slight discount unless they are bred heifers bred back to a black bull in which case nobody can afford them.

Any idea why?

Couple cents per pound on the heifers, about ten cents on the steers. Angus, simangus, char with black influence is the stuff bringing top dollar. Ithink it's hard for the strait baldie to keep up with those crosses and our buyers try to make large uniform lots of cattle.
I did see one sale where there were enough white faced cattle both black and red that the high rollers could put together large groups of similar cattle and they did NOT sell at a discount on that particular day.

cow pollinater":8mcvo04u said:
Stocker Steve":8mcvo04u said:
cow pollinater":8mcvo04u said:

Any idea why?

Couple cents per pound on the heifers, about ten cents on the steers. Angus, simangus, char with black influence is the stuff bringing top dollar. Ithink it's hard for the strait baldie to keep up with those crosses and our buyers try to make large uniform lots of cattle.
I did see one sale where there were enough white faced cattle both black and red that the high rollers could put together large groups of similar cattle and they did NOT sell at a discount on that particular day.

Interesting...
Char influence gets discounted here, perhaps for the same reason, buyers want uniform groups and we have a lot more Herf Xs than Char Xs.

what's your average weaning weight, just grass and milk, on a purebred Hereford?

Latest posts