Black baldies

• Hereford x Angus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Angus x Hereford

• No difference

• Total voters
Good question. In my experience I find that an Angus bull cross will thorw more motled faced and half faced calves were the hereford throws more of the full bald. Maybe just a fad in my area. If I were to cross them I would use the Angus cows. I have the total opposite feelings as the prevoius post. Pleanty of docile Angus cows in the world. Not as many pink ey and cancer eye problems with the Angus cows. Angus cows will far outmilk a Herford its not even funny. I would say with the genetics of Angus today, faster growing, larger size and carcass i would go all Angus. But if you want to cross them, Angus cows and Hereford bulls.

Scotty

Scotty":2dlxx2wz said:
Good question. In my experience I find that an Angus bull cross will thorw more motled faced and half faced calves were the hereford throws more of the full bald. Maybe just a fad in my area. If I were to cross them I would use the Angus cows. I have the total opposite feelings as the prevoius post. Pleanty of docile Angus cows in the world. Not as many pink ey and cancer eye problems with the Angus cows. Angus cows will far outmilk a Herford its not even funny. I would say with the genetics of Angus today, faster growing, larger size and carcass i would go all Angus. But if you want to cross them, Angus cows and Hereford bulls.

Scotty
We've got our first Calf Crop out of our new Hereford Bull hitting the ground now. I'll get some pics of them up in a day or 2 and see what yall think.We have quite a few Black cows, and so far so good. The rest are Hereford, and Hereford X,and Commercials, should be interesting. So far I'm tickled with the results of what is here so far.Those Baldie Calves are awesome looking.

We have both and bred to a red angus bull last year and will most likely use a herf this season...except on the Lim, she will get a Lim AI.

I have always liked Black Angus crossed with Herefords. They make for some really good cows and steers down the road. This mating has done very well on REA measurements and marbling. So this is my opinion on the better cross.
:cboy:

texbulldog":s0y17e18 said:
The AHA is starting to recognize the F1 crosses used for our breed.
Noooo. Not the Herefords. They won't bite the dust. Huh? Nooooo. The only Pure breed left besides Angus and Possibly Charolais. Tell me it isn't so. Please.
txag, Please say it isn't so.

la4angus":2jgl4f81 said:
texbulldog":2jgl4f81 said:
The AHA is starting to recognize the F1 crosses used for our breed.
Noooo. Not the Herefords. They won't bite the dust. Huh? Nooooo. The only Pure breed left besides Angus and Possibly Charolais. Tell me it isn't so. Please.
txag, Please say it isn't so.

Well let be put your mind to rest La 4 as it is BS they are letting you gather data from other breeds you run your hereford bull on for TPR data. It has nothing to do with registering or recognition it is for BW,WW,YW,CE data.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":tet3os49 said:
In my mind I would have to say that perhaps I would use hereford cows and an Angus bull. The reason being is from what I have seen over the years the hereford cows seem to grow a heavier calf as they have either more milk or better quality. Herefords are also real docile more so than angus are. Plus I personally believe that herefords are better mothers than Angus cows.

Now we all know all a hereford cow is good for is a calf companion, they can't milk and their bags fall apart ;-) Herf bull on some good black cows is the way to go

Either way works out to be a winner! I have Herf bull, Angus cow crosses, so I don't know how different the reverse really is. But, you can't lose either way.

Come off it LA.

I guess you have to say your Angus are pure, though, huh?

Since you have interest in one that probably isn't.

mtnman

mtnman":1y3yzkfj said:
Come off it LA.

I guess you have to say your Angus are pure, though, huh?

Since you have interest in one that probably isn't.

mtnman
mtngirl, your insignificant little opinion has been noted. Now go outside and play with the other little girls.

Some herefords milk well, and are less likely to kill you when you tag their calf. Some angus milk poorly, and are quite nasty. Some aren't, that is what selection is all about. I have Angus, because they seem to cause me the least trouble with the most benefit of them all. There seem to be good cattle in any breed out there. The fun part is to take your cattle and improve them, that is satisfying. I also have my doubts as to there being any purebred cattle out there. Maybe the line 1 stuff. Or isolated herds that never bought into the extremes. They didn't go from frame 3 to frame 7 in 10 years through straight bred selection.

In this area for baldys the least expensive method is Hereford cows and an Angus bull. But Herefords are dirt cheap here. We've done it both ways and have been pleased with the results. The key is to start with good cattle in the first place. Weigh cows and bulls from the salebarn aren;t generally going to do you mcuh good no matter which way you go.

dun

Well around here, you can get good registered Hereford cows for $1200 or good reg. Angus cows for $1500. Bulls are about equal in price. So if you buy 50 Hereford cows you will spend $60,000 and if you buy Angus it will cost you $75,000. The baldy calves will be equal in value, so it only makes sense to start with Hereford cows here. Having said that, most people around here won't buy a cow if it's not black, so go figure.

I'm not saying this to anyone in particular, but I do know this: if a man is claiming that "all Angus are poor milkers" or "all Herefords are poor milkers", he is talking over his head. There are excellent and poor cows in each breed. If you've got a poor cow, you shouldn't have bought her or the sorry bull that sired her, whichever the case may be. Just get rid of her and get you a good one and quit putting down someone else's cattle.

I have a herd of Hereford cows and I have a brangus bull on them. I'm getting all motley faces calves, not a single solid faced one yet. Most are blaze faced with raccoon eyes, cute little devils. I don't really think it matters if you have herf or black mommas or herf or black bull, they will still be baldies. It's really your preference.

Latest posts