Black baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

NAAB recognizes breeds for ease in identifying semen etc. It assigns a 2 letter code that signifys the breed. They're is even a XT which stands for crossbred twinner. Having that code sure doesn;t lend any credibility to anything as breed.
If the day comes when there are hundreds of them available via AI with highly accurate EPDs, I might look at them. But as it stands today I'll use Polled Herefords and Angus to generate my baldys. But I personally don;t feel that black Simmenthal/Gelbvieh/limo/charolais are legitimet either. It's a marketing ploy. Period. If buyers want them there will be market, but it isn;t one that has any advantages to me.

dun

Bez":1ovfkip3 said:
No, I have a huge problem with someone telling people they are raising Black Herefords and that they are a breed and that they are legit!

There are huge reputational risks in announcing a breed to the world - especially if they are piggy backing onto an already recognized breed.

HUGE! HUGE! HUGE!

And if all falls down - MY BREED MAY TAKE A HIT. That is not only improper, it is unethical, irresponsible and immoral in my opinion.

Once all things have been done to breed standard and recognized to breed standard - I cannot complain. The governing body for that recognized breed has spoken and is ready to stand up and take what ever heat or accolades the new branch on the family tree has to offer.

As it stands right now there are a group of about 15 people out there announcing to the world there is a new Hereford on the block.

TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE. :stop: :stop:

THe last thing any breed needs is a potential problem stemming from 15 people trying to market an animal under a false flag.

Wanna' raise Highland X Holstein and call them a short haired Black Highland?

Cows are now calling me - I will check back in an hour or two.

8)

Bez

Calm down, Bez. As an Angus breeder, I can tell you that all the other breeds producing black cattle haven't hurt the popularity of the Angus breed. If anything, it's increased it. Hopefully, black Herefords will only raise awareness of the Hereford breed. Since there's nothing you can do about it, might as well stay cool about it.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2aok262g said:
Sorry I started a range war here fellas.

These guys know I'm just poking a stick at them for fun. I grew up with purebred Herefords and my Dad is still a Hereford man to the core even though they run commercial cattle these days. The one thing I will say is that I believe the Herefords we had in the 70's were a better, easier keeping animal then they have today. Rarely did they ever get sick and they looked good even when on marginal feed. The calves off the last Hereford bull I had didn't marble very well, had problems with foot rot and pinkeye and seemed to need grain to finish them out properly. All our cattle were grass finished back then and the meat was so tender it would melt in your mouth. JMHO.

you have to give some credit to the lim, simm, and hereford folks out there. They do realize that their cattle need to be black. It's a win win the breeder gets to feel like they are still breeding the breed they like and the buyer knows that there must be something good somewhere in the family. :lol: :lol:

arneyangus":1pc0xjde said:
you have to give some credit to the lim, simm, and hereford folks out there. They do realize that their cattle need to be black. ol:
There will be a day in the not to distant future that just having a black hide won't bring a premium. The cattle will have to have quality.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1axolwf0 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1axolwf0 said:
Sorry I started a range war here fellas.

These guys know I'm just poking a stick at them for fun. I grew up with purebred Herefords and my Dad is still a Hereford man to the core even though they run commercial cattle these days. The one thing I will say is that I believe the Herefords we had in the 70's were a better, easier keeping animal then they have today. Rarely did they ever get sick and they looked good even when on marginal feed. The calves off the last Hereford bull I had didn't marble very well, had problems with foot rot and pinkeye and seemed to need grain to finish them out properly. All our cattle were grass finished back then and the meat was so tender it would melt in your mouth. JMHO.

I promise you I can show you Herefords like your folks had back then. A friend is still line-breeding Hazlett/Turner Ranch cattle, and has been for 40 years. They are excellent. His selection criteria have been keeping BW in check while increasing WW, thickness, disposition, marbling and tenderness, longevity, good eyes and udders.

arneyangus

Black - well I cross to 'em. But I gotta' tell you that I figure we got a good thing going here.

Bastardize a breed and you ruin them forever.

Bez

Latest posts