Black Baldie Bulls on

Help Support CattleToday:

Roy E. Mosley Jr.

Reaction score
HAs anybody tried black baldie bulls on black baldie cows? It seems that would be the logical thing ta do. Both have the traits u were breeding for with Herf+Ang. right?

dun

Reaction score
The offspring would be F2 and loose some heterosis. Probably not much different then breeding the baldy back to the sire breed.

dun

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":3b0fmgum said:
HAs anybody tried black baldie bulls on black baldie cows? It seems that would be the logical thing ta do. Both have the traits u were breeding for with Herf+Ang. right?

ollie

Reaction score
Dun,
dont forget that you get heterosis from an f1 cow. I would say that the cumulative advantage of heterosis is greater in this instance than in an f1 cross. I'm not advocating the cross.

la4angus

Reaction score
I would think seriously about AI'ng to a top Red Angus. Most are generations away from the Black or Hereford genetics. A Complete outcross!!! Still retain the Angus X Hereford quality. There are other carcass programs besides CAB.

I know of one poster on this board that has a Helluva Good Red Angus Bull,
that semen is available from.

dun

Reaction score
In theory you are decreasing the heterosis of each breed by recombining them. It gives you possibilities of more homozygous gene pairs. A F1 again in theory, has all heterozygous pairs.

dun

ollie":1omssp0h said:
Dun,
dont forget that you get heterosis from an f1 cow. I would say that the cumulative advantage of heterosis is greater in this instance than in an f1 cross. I'm not advocating the cross.

dun

Reaction score
Maximum heterosis is expressed by the crossbred cow raising the calf. Individual heterosis is much less. If you have crossbred cows and bred them back to a baldy bull, if the cows don't have any Hereford or Angus i them you would get individual heterosis plus the maternal heterosis. Using a baldy bull on a baldy cow dectucts from the individual heterosis but the maternal is still expressed

dun

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":2t8ph20z said:
I didnt mean bull and cow from the same herd. So no one uses black baldie bulls in there herd?

A

Anonymous

If you find Black Baldy bulls for sale, let me know.
Dun, there is a market for those good BWF calves you cut every spring.
I'll take one every two years till you run out of new blood.

Latest posts