black angus black limousine cross

Help Support CattleToday:

js2743

Reaction score
any one have any experience with this cross and if so was it good or bad. at time ive got reg black angus cows and a black limo bull just wondering if thats a good idea.

js2743":2ksdpdyc said:
any one have any experience with this cross and if so was it good or bad. at time ive got reg black angus cows and a black limo bull just wondering if thats a good idea.
In considering whether a specific "cross" is good or bad (whatever THAT means?!?), a breeder must determine what ultimate results he expects to achieve! Are you planning on retaining replacement heifers from this "cross", or are they going to be used for Terminal feeders? The factors which must be considered in cross-breeding are more than just "Breed A" crossed on "Breed B" because each breed brings many characteristics to the matings.

To come closer to specifically answering your question considering crossing Limousin on Angus, give this some thought: Are the two INDIVIDUALS compatible regarding body confirmation insofar as "Calving Ease" is concerned? YES, Limousin and Angus (Limflex) makes for a terrific cross! But considering JUST breeds is not the ONLY way to be planning your matings. That is why you use EPD's! And, by the same token, you DON'T use JUST
EPD's in your protocols. You use every tool at your disposal. Breed, Genotype, and Phenotype.

Good or Bad?? Depends on your goals and the traits, characteristics, and overall quality of the individual animals concerned.

But, generally speaking and taking the above factors into consideration, LIMFLEX is an excellent crossbreeding protocol to utilize!

DOC HARRIS

We will find out about Dec 30th when our Tenn cow (nice long Angus)is due. Covered all the gals with a Lim bull...even the Herfs.
Have some heifers out of Lim cows sired by a Angus bull that are pretty nice. They are due at the end of March covered by the Lim bull.
DMc

js2743":20b0kns3 said:

Nice looking muscular calves. May test your corral more than straight Angus. I had to buy a new gate two years ago after a limi cross decided he did not want to load...

The results we have obtained when crossing our Brangus with a Limousin sire have been positive. We have only used a Limousin as a terminal sire in the past. The resulting heifers are pleasing to the eye but since concern remains with milking performance with the bloodlines available in our area, we consider them terminal only.

Typically the calves are stout and long with a considerable rump. Another potential reason to use the Limousin breed is their moderate size and lower birthweights compared to some of the other Continentals (there are always exceptions).

You might also consider Gelbvieh if your desire is to retain replacement females. If you sell across the scales, then you won't regret God's gift to cattlemen -- heterosis.

I personally think Limousin are one of the most phenotypically impressive breeds even to the untrained eye. Good luck in searching for that elusive sire that will compliment your current herd in conformation, depth, length, and growth while retaining that optimum birth weight.

Regards,
Greenjeans

js2743":3a188nrz said:

Ever hear of Limflex?

They are a great mix. In Fl at the actions we get lower prices always because of not enough water to much water or too bad a winter but ever since we started mixing are angus we have started to see higher prices at the sale barn and the cows have started to show up with bigger butts and thats what the buyers want to see.

js2743":gruswr2v said:

I like them a LOT. Not as ornery as pure Limousin...at least ours isn't- (but really, Limo's aren't terribly wild, I can scratch ours even tho they throw their heads around :)) Actually next years cavles will be Limflex. They are a great cross in my eyes, [if not the best... :D ]

The only drawback in this cross, in my experience, will be a higher percentage of females that won't breed. The ones that do will make some good cows. Of course if you're not retaining females-no problem. JMHO

HAVE NOT HEARD OF HIGHER PERCENTAGE NOT BREEDING, BUT THE LIMFLEX I HAVE RAISED HAVE BEEN AMOUNG MY BEST PERFORMERS, BUT HAVEN'T BRED MANY FOR REPLACEMENTS.
RJR

Limomike":1aws63y7 said:
js2743":1aws63y7 said:

Ever hear of Limflex?

Why aren't they called Limgus or Angousin? Where did the "-flex" come from?

Because you can breed any seedstock bull to a limi cow and get a limflex animal. It's not just angus bred to limis from what I understand, I can breed my hereford cows to a limi bull and get limflex offspring.

when i started in the cow business i had limi cows and used angus bulls. some of the better calves i ever produced were from that cross. however i went away from the the limi breed because i didnt particularly like the females and if u crossed the 50% threshhold of limi genetics the calves began to get wired up more than i like.

oakcreekfarms":1yugnnv0 said:
Because you can breed any seedstock bull to a limi cow and get a limflex animal. It's not just angus bred to limis from what I understand, I can breed my hereford cows to a limi bull and get limflex offspring.

Why is the proposed branded hybrid seedstock product restricted to crosses of Limousin and Angus or Red Angus?

R. Several reasons exist as to why crosses other than Limousin and Angus or Red Angus were not specified as part of the proposed brand. The primary reason was to preserve focus of brand identity, such that when commercial producers see the name they know the general breed makeup of the product. As discussed in the question above regarding percent blood requirements, restricting the breed crosses eligible for the label also provides for at least some level of homogeneity of biological type and appearance (solid black or red color with no white, dilution or spots and predominately polled). From a practical standpoint, it would also appear that by an overwhelming margin Angus and Red Angus are the breeds of choice to cross with Limousin because of how well the merits of these breeds compliment one another. Members are reminded that if animals are at least 25% Limousin and comply with proposed sire specifications, but are from breeds not specified under the label, they are still eligible to be issued "Hybrid Registration Certificates". Recording such animals is encouraged because offspring may qualify for the brand. As a side-note, even though not a part of the current NALF registry, Brahmousin represents a branded Limousin hybrid seedstock product.

This cross brings out the best of both breeds, I have around 30 females that are Angus/Limi. I have had zero problems with breeding issues with this cross, the last four heifers bred on the first AI. I find that it is generally a mineral deficiency that causes breeding issues more that any certain breed..

oakcreekfarms":3ayk9voc said:

Limflex is strictly Limousin / Angus.