• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Black aint beautiful anymore

Help Support CattleToday:

paul swisher

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 31, 2003
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Location
East Alabama
I watched the poll on Angus and all the comments, both pro and con, and want to expand on it. Angus is the largest breed, therefore has more clout and market influence but the handwriting is on the wall, they no longer have the value they did. Angus has been crossbred to fatten dry stringy, tough beef. That is where they originated, a dwarf fat Viking cow with a tough English Red Ox. Then they fattened up the Limo (the toughest of all continental breeds) then the toughest of all the Brahman. I could go on and on. Marbling (Intermuscular Fat) was the only way you could eat and enjoy beef. Therefore Angus and Angus influence breeds dominated but times have changed, beef eaters no longer have to chew half fat to have good beef. Modern science and technology have learned that marbling influences tenderness, flavor and juciness by less than 10%. When there were only a few breeds, that 10% was important but now there are non-angus breeds that produce better tasting, juicier and more tender beef without fat. Pinzgauer, South Devon, Red Pol all produce superior beef with out giving up any breeder requirements, easy keeping, easy calving, early maturity, docility, good milk, etc. The USDA should change their quality grading to disregard marbling but because of the abundance of black influence I guess they can't but one thing for sure the market is changing, the consumer is changing and black aint so beautiful anymore
 

Ellie May

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
683
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee
I agree!! Black isn't so beautiful any more! Especially the way everybody thinks it's the best. I get sick of the Angus. Certified Angus beef isn't that great. I think that other breeds with certified meat should be just as popular. Like Hereford is very good & tasty, Simmital, Limo, Charlious, etc..(As you can tell I can't spell very well)!
Bye,
Ellie May

:cboy:
 

A. delaGarza

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
504
Reaction score
0
Location
N.E. Mexico & Deep South Texas
I agree, but you miss these breeds that produces the best; Normande, Simmental, Tarentaise, South Devon and Braunvieh beef, I don't mean Angus ain't good but Angus, Shorthorn and Herefords have excesive Backfat.


paul swisher":pvbda78d said:
I watched the poll on Angus and all the comments, both pro and con, and want to expand on it. Angus is the largest breed, therefore has more clout and market influence but the handwriting is on the wall, they no longer have the value they did. Angus has been crossbred to fatten dry stringy, tough beef. That is where they originated, a dwarf fat Viking cow with a tough English Red Ox. Then they fattened up the Limo (the toughest of all continental breeds) then the toughest of all the Brahman. I could go on and on. Marbling (Intermuscular Fat) was the only way you could eat and enjoy beef. Therefore Angus and Angus influence breeds dominated but times have changed, beef eaters no longer have to chew half fat to have good beef. Modern science and technology have learned that marbling influences tenderness, flavor and juciness by less than 10%. When there were only a few breeds, that 10% was important but now there are non-angus breeds that produce better tasting, juicier and more tender beef without fat. Pinzgauer, South Devon, Red Pol all produce superior beef with out giving up any breeder requirements, easy keeping, easy calving, early maturity, docility, good milk, etc. The USDA should change their quality grading to disregard marbling but because of the abundance of black influence I guess they can't but one thing for sure the market is changing, the consumer is changing and black aint so beautiful anymore
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I think Black Angus influnce will not go away as quickly as you guys might hope, the Black Angus will (at least in the USA) will probly be crossed with the above list breeds and turn them Black and polled, like in so many other befor them.. I love cows ,Shorthorn are perhaps my favorites, but E. of the mississippi they are rare. I raise Black Angus and there crosses,and the F1's black Baldies are the best mother cows. When cross again ( with Brangus or Balancers) they are great terminial crosses.. I do not want to get to far from the Blanck Angus tree. I am open minded to other breeds (Braumveih,Gelvieh,Limms,Simms,and looking at everything that has Rome crossed into it) as long as I have 50% angus, I am ahead in the game. I have seen breeds come and breeds go, and I also think that Angus will pass but not to quickly ....ALF... I do not care what breed you raise use a Black Angus Bulls and make more money....
 

Frankie

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
6,915
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Reading this tirade, I'd guess that you're fairly new to the cattle business. About the time Continental breeds were imported into the US, demand for beef started dropping. We couldn't get enough cattle to grade, so the USDA lowered the grading standards. The Angus Association started CAB because they believed consumers would be more satisifed with higher quality beef. The Association almost went broke several times and considered killing the CAB prgram. But they held steady and eventually, consumers discovered CAB; it has never sold less beef from year to year. Every year consumption of CAB is higher than the year before. In fact, they've started a CAB Prime program and are considering a CAB Natural Beef line. It's never been a secret that "science" says marbling is only 10% related to tenderness. But no one can say reliably how marbling influences consumer satisfaction. Taste is an individual thing. Personally, I don't buy anything but Choice beef and I buy CAB when I can get it. Beef consumption is on the rise and I doubt that the USDA will change grading standards. US Choice beef is shown to be much more satisfactory to consumers than Select.

Run whatever kind of cattle you want. I say black is beautiful and at sale barns all around the US, cattle buyers and feedlot operators are agreeing with me. The reason the Angus breed is the largest is because it satisfies commercial cattlemen, feedlot operators, packers and consumers. People make money with Angus cattle. That's the bottom line.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
Black may not be beuatiful anymore or Red Angus are! All of the advantages or Angus with a mmore pleasent and unique color. Most of the continental breeds unless bred down in size, in some cases way down in size, just don't make the money the moderate framed british cattle do for dollars of input. If you have excessive backfat in your british cattle it's either because they're being finished as if they're continental or the wrong choice of genetics.
Too many of the straight continental breeds won't "fit the box", that lowers the carcass value.
The advantages of continetal other then the ability to quality grade high choice or prime are large mature size, take longer to finsih, frequently too much milk, etc. Wow, with all those advantages I don;t know why anyone would want to breed the lousey british breed that are moderate sized, quality grade well, have moderate milk, finish young, etc.
There will alwasy be a market for continetal beef, Walmart sells tons of it. No flavor, tough and chewy and dry. Yummee

dun


Frankie":2vc4uogw said:
Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Reading this tirade, I'd guess that you're fairly new to the cattle business. About the time Continental breeds were imported into the US, demand for beef started dropping. We couldn't get enough cattle to grade, so the USDA lowered the grading standards. The Angus Association started CAB because they believed consumers would be more satisifed with higher quality beef. The Association almost went broke several times and considered killing the CAB prgram. But they held steady and eventually, consumers discovered CAB; it has never sold less beef from year to year. Every year consumption of CAB is higher than the year before. In fact, they've started a CAB Prime program and are considering a CAB Natural Beef line. It's never been a secret that "science" says marbling is only 10% related to tenderness. But no one can say reliably how marbling influences consumer satisfaction. Taste is an individual thing. Personally, I don't buy anything but Choice beef and I buy CAB when I can get it. Beef consumption is on the rise and I doubt that the USDA will change grading standards. US Choice beef is shown to be much more satisfactory to consumers than Select.

Run whatever kind of cattle you want. I say black is beautiful and at sale barns all around the US, cattle buyers and feedlot operators are agreeing with me. The reason the Angus breed is the largest is because it satisfies commercial cattlemen, feedlot operators, packers and consumers. People make money with Angus cattle. That's the bottom line.
 

Beefy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
8,754
Reaction score
0
Location
Georgia
I personally like Black Angus cows. although i dont really raise them (since most of our cows are beefmaster cross), we do have a few cows that are a large percentage black angus (at least 3/4) and these are some of my favorite cows. They breed back early each year and have great calves consistently. they are great mothers.
The main reason we in the south use Angus so much (besides the black color selling better) is for fertility. with the drought AND/OR humidity and heat and insect and parasite problems in south georgia and florida you just about have to have some combo of brahman and angus or hereford to get a calf every year. Brangus seems to be the most popular cow in my area. Red Angus are ok too, i assume they have comparable fertility, but i prefer the black angus. as far as the heat tolerance issue goes the black cows stay fat all year and wean great calves so if they want to hang out in the shade or pond during the hot part of the day that sounds like a smart cow to me. they make up for it int he afternoon and morning.
 

Oldtimer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2004
Messages
3,908
Reaction score
0
Location
Northeast Montana
Personal opinion- Give me a good Prime (well marbled- little extra fat) Certified Angus Beef or Certified Hereford Beef over any old chunk of Lauras Lean anyday. When I raise my home slaughter beef I always keep the ones that should be butchered at 1200 lbs. until they are 1400 lbs. and they melt in the mouth.
 

BLACKPOWER

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Nebraska
paul swisher":3ah2zyi3 said:
I watched the poll on Angus and all the comments, both pro and con, and want to expand on it. Angus is the largest breed, therefore has more clout and market influence but the handwriting is on the wall, they no longer have the value they did. Angus has been crossbred to fatten dry stringy, tough beef. That is where they originated, a dwarf fat Viking cow with a tough English Red Ox. Then they fattened up the Limo (the toughest of all continental breeds) then the toughest of all the Brahman. I could go on and on. Marbling (Intermuscular Fat) was the only way you could eat and enjoy beef. Therefore Angus and Angus influence breeds dominated but times have changed, beef eaters no longer have to chew half fat to have good beef. Modern science and technology have learned that marbling influences tenderness, flavor and juciness by less than 10%. When there were only a few breeds, that 10% was important but now there are non-angus breeds that produce better tasting, juicier and more tender beef without fat. Pinzgauer, South Devon, Red Pol all produce superior beef with out giving up any breeder requirements, easy keeping, easy calving, early maturity, docility, good milk, etc. The USDA should change their quality grading to disregard marbling but because of the abundance of black influence I guess they can't but one thing for sure the market is changing, the consumer is changing and black aint so beautiful anymore

I don't know where you've been living but Black Angus beef is at an all time high for consumption. Certified Angus Beef, Hardees Angus Burgers, not to mention almost all high end upscale restaurants are serving ANGUS beef. If breeders would pay attention to carcass traits(the most highly heritable of all traits) we would have a much more uniform crop of desirable carcasses. My angus x hereford steers are in the feedlot now gaining 4 pounds per day(slow growing? I think not) last years carcass data confirmed their cutability with very high % retail product and quality graded at 92% choice or better. You spout off against angus but you have no carcass numbers of your own to back up your lies.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Oldtimer":16splfvx said:
Personal opinion- Give me a good Prime (well marbled- little extra fat) Certified Angus Beef or Certified Hereford Beef over any old chunk of Lauras Lean anyday. When I raise my home slaughter beef I always keep the ones that should be butchered at 1200 lbs. until they are 1400 lbs. and they melt in the mouth.
I say a-men to that brother!!!!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Feel free to raise whatever type of cattle you want but don't come crying to me that you are being rob when you get 40 cents back on your exotic cattle. One must raise what the buyer wants if he expects to get top price. The major buyers in the northeast want high precentage angus cattle. They get paid better from moyer packing when they sell. I will stick with my black angus that our perform most of the purebred exotic cattle in my area.

pat
 

D.R. Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
0
Location
East Central Florida
Although we don't see eye to eye very often, BP's crossbreeding program is unbeatable in my opinion. Breed what the consumer wants. It's unfortunate I have to use Braford cows down here as opposed to straight Herefords, but I put pure Angus bulls on them to get as close as I can. Baldies put dineros in the bank.
 

sam

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
109
Reaction score
0
Location
ne texas
coyotes don't come around the llamas because they don't want to get spit on
 

D.R. Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
2,125
Reaction score
0
Location
East Central Florida
What the heck is a Llama good for anyway? Not trying to stab Ellie, but the only repulsive critter that isn't in your list is a cat! (Hereford cattle excluded from that comment)
 

A. delaGarza

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
504
Reaction score
0
Location
N.E. Mexico & Deep South Texas
Llamas will keep away predators from Sheep or Goat herds, I think is the only good point of owning one

D.R. Cattle":3pawr3ap said:
What the heck is a Llama good for anyway? Not trying to stab Ellie, but the only repulsive critter that isn't in your list is a cat! (Hereford cattle excluded from that comment)
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
BlackPower
I have to agree with you in your reply to paul swisher. Maybe he been eating yhose tender brahman, or maybe some of the new black beefmasters. Could be some of the black polled texas longhorns that all of the feeders and packers are trying to buy.I understand that they are really tasty, shoe leather juicy, and dry as a bone. Obviously paul swisher knows what he is talking about. If you don.t believe it, just
ask him.
 

Latest posts

Top