Big Momma Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I usually don't trust any Angus or purebred Simmental bulls with huge yearling weights. They just look good in pic but that's it.

Muddy said:
I don't know anyone who grain feeding their cows daily. Majority of us do creep feeding the calves.
I do during A I time and some around calving time for the ones I need to tag and weigh. Until I get tired of fighting them trying to get thru gates and have to beat them away with a stick.

Midtenn said:
Muddy said:
I don't know anyone who grain feeding their cows daily. Majority of us do creep feeding the calves.
I do during A I time and some around calving time for the ones I need to tag and weigh. Until I get tired of fighting them trying to get thru gates and have to beat them away with a stick.
Us too. Just not daily.

jehosofat said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
No - I am talking real money off the farm.
I have 7 fall heifer calves still nursing. I offer "pick" for $4500 - I have 3 people committed to taking one each. I don't play those games. My "purse" isn't big enough to play with the big boys.

Seriously??? I can buy 4, jam up, top notch, ones for that money?
LOL - but they aren't Simme Valley cattle!!! Like I say in many threads - reputation is EVERYTHING. My cattle work, perform and make my buyers money. Most of my sales are repeat buyers.

Sim-Angus King - Like I said, my cattle are raised in "real world management". And, I sell very few bulls - only bulls I sell are weanlings - usually picked up while nursing dams. I offer "pick" for $1850 after weaning & pre-conditioned.

Silver - I do show and a lot of my weaned heifer calves are going to show families. I advertise in my state breed publications and the NY Beef Producers publications. Several of my shows I get to stay at someones home, so expenses aren't too bad.
But, I included show & advertising in my cow expenses. And some shows, I make more than I spend - woohoo!
I am soooo lucky. I LOVE what I am doing and many breeders appreciate WHAT I do.

jehosofat said:
No - I am talking real money off the farm.
I have 7 fall heifer calves still nursing. I offer "pick" for $4500 - I have 3 people committed to taking one each. I don't play those games. My "purse" isn't big enough to play with the big boys.

Seriously??? I can buy 4, jam up, top notch, ones for that money?
LOL - but they aren't Simme Valley cattle!!! Like I say in many threads - reputation is EVERYTHING. My cattle work, perform and make my buyers money. Most of my sales are repeat buyers.

Sim-Angus King - Like I said, my cattle are raised in "real world management". And, I sell very few bulls - only bulls I sell are weanlings - usually picked up while nursing dams. I offer "pick" for $1850 after weaning & pre-conditioned.

Some of your cows look like my kind of ideal cows for PB stock. If you weren't 10+ hours away, I might be interested in some of those weaner bulls.

I think WW/YW's are good indicators of performance within a group or herd, but comparing to other herds might not work out so well for you.

The place where I bought my heifer and may buy a bull from, their cows are on pasture during the summer, no grain, calves get some grain at weaning time and over the winter, so the weaning weights are pretty realistic.

"Commercial guys aren't dumb to how much seedstock sells for, since they are the one's buying them.
I think that in this thread the main beef is with seedstock producers using aggressive feeding methods to inflate weights, and create unrealistic gains. Which end up not getting replicated when put in a commercial program, or are not economical due to feed consumption. Just because you show a profit when selling for more than what they would get at the salebarn, doesn't not equate more profit for the lower return commercial cattleman".

And that is my exact point Sim Ang King.

Jeanne, I run things here much like you do there.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
Ron, as a seed stock producer its your duty to produce a product that is better than a previous generation and will go to someone's herd that will put them on a successful path. NOT producing something that is in demand for a short amount of time, or chasing fads IMO. You do not have to agree with this statement, its just my opinion.

And the input side of things is the most important part of this thread that has been dodged for 20 pages!

Meeting the demands of your market is not exclusive of producing quality livestock that compliments the breed.

Nesikep said:
I think WW/YW's are good indicators of performance within a group or herd, but comparing to other herds might not work out so well for you.

When I buy a bull this is applicable. I look at how he did vs his peers, I don't expect my calves to perform as well because I don't provide the inputs the breeder did. I also look for a breeder who's production system is as at least similar to mine so hopefully he won't fall on his face when he gets to my farm.

I thought seedstock producers were supposed to be true to their breed so I can make the crosses I want and get predictable results? Seems to me that every breed is trying to do everything and it's bluring the lines. But you have to sell bulls so I understand why it is how it is.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
"Commercial guys aren't dumb to how much seedstock sells for, since they are the one's buying them.
I think that in this thread the main beef is with seedstock producers using aggressive feeding methods to inflate weights, and create unrealistic gains. Which end up not getting replicated when put in a commercial program, or are not economical due to feed consumption. Just because you show a profit when selling for more than what they would get at the salebarn, doesn't not equate more profit for the lower return commercial cattleman".

And that is my exact point Sim Ang King.

Jeanne, I run things here much like you do there.

Here, we sell "commercial" bulls to commercial cattlemen. They don't AI. They just need a bull or 3 to run with their girls. We do pull genomics and usually only offer 10-13 bulls a year. Last year, we had so many people calling for bulls after our sale, we increased this year. Most our customers are repeats. The only downside to that is if we've assisted them the last couple years, we won't see him the next. But...he has told a few others whom end up buying as well. We've never had to make things right with a customer. We average $2300 for commercial. Not a bad price at all. But we've spent our fair share in AIing our herd to create good bulls and replacements. Most any folks around here don't want to spend no $5-9K on a "GREAT PB Bull" to run on commercial cows. They usually fall apart right after they hit pasture. Ours come out looking like they just cleaned up for a hot date.

Rydero said:
Nesikep said:

When I buy a bull this is applicable. I look at how he did vs his peers, I don't expect my calves to perform as well because I don't provide the inputs the breeder did. I also look for a breeder who's production system is as at least similar to mine so hopefully he won't fall on his face when he gets to my farm.

I thought seedstock producers were supposed to be true to their breed so I can make the crosses I want and get predictable results? Seems to me that every breed is trying to do everything and it's bluring the lines. But you have to sell bulls so I understand why it is how it is.

Bulls that are developed poorly fall apart, not bulls that had top nutrition from birth to 15-18 months. Athletes don't run on junk food.

************* said:
Rydero said:
Nesikep said:

Bulls that are developed poorly fall apart, not bulls that had top nutrition from birth to 15-18 months. Athletes don't run on junk food.

I hope your cattle don't run on junk food...

************* said:
Rydero said:
Nesikep said:

Athletes aren't fat either

Nesikep said:
************* said:
Rydero said:

Have you ever seen a sumo wrestler.

Bright Raven said:
Nesikep said:
************* said:

and...there are different weight classes in boxing

************* said:
Bright Raven said:
Nesikep said:

and...there are different weight classes in boxing
BR, you pick a very rare exeption

Branded, Yeah, there's different weight classes, but in none of them do you see much fat.. just different "frame scores"... I find the lightweight classes far more interesting to watch.. Less hugging going on

"Athletes aren't fat either"
"Have you ever seen a sumo wrestler." :lol: :lol:

Simm-Angus - thank you. appreciate that. My males are my "cash flow". They are all gone by end of October - except the fall borns that we feed out for freezer trade.

Dogs and Cows said:
Still wondering if Branded has a demand for 1 ton cows or if this is a pet project?

Pretty sure he is a young kid getting in here talking with the big boys. At least that's how I feel when I read his posts.

Latest posts