Big Momma Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

WinterSpringsFarm said:
Dogs and Cows said:
Still wondering if Branded has a demand for 1 ton cows or if this is a pet project?

Pretty sure he is a young kid getting in here talking with the big boys. At least that's how I feel when I read his posts.

Thank you for the compliment, I'm definitely not young, and wish I were a kid again. I like going against the grain, when the crowd is headed one way, I take the opposite side of the trade. The crowd is almost always wrong, and the "high CED, low birthweight" crowd will be VERY WRONG!

Kentucky in the next few years will have some of the sorriest looking Angus you have ever seen. Probably some of the worst in the country because there is a race on to see how small they can make them. They will be PUNY, small pelvic measurements on the heifers, frame will be gone on the bulls. 205 weights at 450 will be the average, if not lower. Mark my word on this. I'm not dependent on selling to cost share participants or meeting those requirements. I'm breeding strictly how I want to, not how I HAVE TO, and dealing with clients that don't use those programs. Kind of like "Build it and they will come" theory.

UK, in my opinion, does a phenomenal job of SPENDING insane amounts of cash on cool things all over their research farms, building nifty feeding and watering systems, but when it comes to genetics, they fall on their face. Follow them at your own peril in my opinion. My gaze is fixed in a different direction. Oh by the way UK and Morehead, if you are reading this, frequent AI classes and incentives to AI would go much further in improving the herd in Kentucky rather than the current programs you push, How about MONTHLY AI classes with top instructors at both universities? You only have 15-20 head? How about AI to improve what you have instead of staying in the gutter for years and years using $1000 bulls? I guess I'm hoping for WAY TOO MUCH, right?

I would say that SAV or Connealy are VASTLY ahead in the knowledge of Angus genetics as compared to that of tenured professors at our AG depts in Kentucky, and to think those two programs don't have endowments propping them up.

On a side note, I snapped this photo yesterday. One of our "big, fat cows" doing what they ALL do daily, CLIMB HILLS. These gals are forced to do more hills than someone in a cross fit class. Not a day goes by that they are not going up and down hills. I get the feeling that you all think they are in a tightly confined lot being fed beer and massaged for hours, that's not the case.

************* said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:
Dogs and Cows said:
Still wondering if Branded has a demand for 1 ton cows or if this is a pet project?

Pretty sure he is a young kid getting in here talking with the big boys. At least that's how I feel when I read his posts.

Thank you for the compliment, I'm definitely not young, and wish I were a kid again. I like going against the grain, when the crowd is headed one way, I take the opposite side of the trade. The crowd is almost always wrong, and the "high CED, low birthweight" crowd will be VERY WRONG!

Kentucky in the next few years will have some of the sorriest looking Angus you have ever seen. Probably some of the worst in the country because there is a race on to see how small they can make them. They will be PUNY, small pelvic measurements on the heifers, frame will be gone on the bulls. 205 weights at 450 will be the average, if not lower. Mark my word on this. I'm not dependent on selling to cost share participants or meeting those requirements. I'm breeding strictly how I want to, not how I HAVE TO, and dealing with clients that don't use those programs. Kind of like "Build it and they will come" theory.

UK, in my opinion, does a phenomenal job of SPENDING insane amounts of cash on cool things all over their research farms, building nifty feeding and watering systems, but when it comes to genetics, they fall on their face. Follow them at your own peril in my opinion. My gaze is fixed in a different direction. Oh by the way UK and Morehead, if you are reading this, frequent AI classes and incentives to AI would go much further in improving the herd in Kentucky rather than the current programs you push, How about MONTHLY AI classes with top instructors at both universities? You only have 15-20 head? How about AI to improve what you have instead of staying in the gutter for years and years using $1000 bulls? I guess I'm hoping for WAY TOO MUCH, right?

I would say that SAV or Connealy are VASTLY ahead in the knowledge of Angus genetics as compared to that of tenured professors at our AG depts in Kentucky, and to think those two programs don't have endowments propping them up.

On a side note, I snapped this photo yesterday. One of our "big, fat cows" doing what they ALL do daily, CLIMB HILLS. These gals are forced to do more hills than someone in a cross fit class. Not a day goes by that they are not going up and down hills. I get the feeling that you all think they are in a tightly confined lot being fed beer and massaged for hours, that's not the case.

Here you go Mudman, glad to help.

************* said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:
Dogs and Cows said:

looks like y'all have a good functional cow base already...""""me"""I'd perpetuate what you have..before you breed it into extinction...

************* said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:
Dogs and Cows said:

Brook hill I agree with most of what you say here in this post. University's in tn the same way. But you can buy "real" bulls a lot cheaper than those lbw ce curve benders. Don't beleive me, go to one of the bull test sales and see what the +4 or +5 bw bulls with 0 or negative ce are selling for. You can get good bulls for half price or less of what heifer bulls cost. Sad thing is they don't know what they get any time they buy a curve bender. Negative bw with +70 or 80 weaning weight doesn't even make sense but people fall for it every day.

Those hills make it easy for them to eat grass Branded, a bit like sitting at a table.

I totally agree with what you are doing. I do like a bit of size in my cows, as you say it is easy to downsize but more difficult to upsize. The other thing about cow size (weight) is that it is also related to the age of the cow. If you have a predominantly older cow herd then their weights will be a lot higher. I turn over my cows at a relatively young age and often have not got to their full potential adult weight.

Ken

************* said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:
Dogs and Cows said:

That isn't a hill. Or if you consider that a hill it is best you stay in that flat land.

Dave said:
************* said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:
That isn't a hill. Or if you consider that a hill it is best you stay in that flat land.

I have some areas that if you slipped and fell, it would be almost a straight drop for 30-40 feet, if I saw one of our cows climbing that I would think she was part Bighorn Sheep. That's a hill in the photo because there are mountains just east of me, in direct view for reference.

wbvs58 said:
Those hills make it easy for them to eat grass Branded, a bit like sitting at a table.

I totally agree with what you are doing. I do like a bit of size in my cows, as you say it is easy to downsize but more difficult to upsize. The other thing about cow size (weight) is that it is also related to the age of the cow. If you have a predominantly older cow herd then their weights will be a lot higher. I turn over my cows at a relatively young age and often have not got to their full potential adult weight.

Ken

Branded has uncommon, unique standing and frozen genetics. I would plan for a more moderate size Angus cow. The industry is not setup for 2000 pound Angus cows. I am in agreement on the ills of over emphasizing CE. James is correct that the Universities push CE. We have had the University of Kentucky out to our field days. They preach CE and the attendees eat it up.

Branded has high end Angus genetics and there is a lot of options for marketing those genetics. I would breed for a cow in the 1450 to 1600 pound range. I would focus on growth, $B, Marbling, and carcass qualities. I would continue to focus on AI and ET. Plus he has some cows that would be ideal to flush. There is a good market here for AI bred heifers. His cows would do well in the Elite Heifer sales like Paris.

The thing that I notice, is that most people select heifers on a visual inspection,but select bulls by there ''paperwork''. Why does this occur since they both have the same genetic impact?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:
Once you've been out west, everything east of the Mississippi is just hills. A real mountain has snow on it year round.

And when you're really serious check out the Alps or Himalayas.

I'm sure it's a sight to see, just not for me. There's enough for me to explore right here in North America.

True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:
Once you've been out west, everything east of the Mississippi is just hills. A real mountain has snow on it year round.

I'm sure it's a sight to see, just not for me. There's enough for me to explore right here in North America.

Passport still revoked?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:

Check out the cows that live in the Alps, or Himalayas.
Hint: they're not Angus. ;-)

sim.-ang.king said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:

Check out the cows that live in the Alps, or Himalayas.
Hint: they're not Angus. ;-)

So are you the Sim-Yak King now?

The cows that spend the summer in He77's Canyon are mostly Angus. But they sure don't weigh 2,000 pounds. It doesn't get any deeper or steeper than that place. Well I guess it does but they don't run cows in the Grand Canyon. I know that even in my young wild carefree days I would not have wanted to push cows there.