BEST CROSSES FOR BLACK BALDIES

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle":1whid3tk said:
If I was you, I would probably stay away from Bos Indicus blood. Not because it is bad, but because you just don't need it. In your climate you should have the luxury of doing just fine with English and/or Continental.
I agree your dispute but if he is in the meat business the bos Indicus influence will add hybrid vigor

A. delaGarza":l3js1a1g said:
D.R. Cattle":l3js1a1g said:
If I was you, I would probably stay away from Bos Indicus blood. Not because it is bad, but because you just don't need it. In your climate you should have the luxury of doing just fine with English and/or Continental.
I agree your dispute but if he is in the meat business the bos Indicus influence will add hybrid vigor, he could cross Braford to Angus or Herfords to Brangus,
you may try getting your hands on a good Greyman bull if you know of any as the murray grey influence helps;have used one in the past and had no trouble in selling the calves straight of thier mothers for top prices.

la4angus":6gf4aayv said:
Colin Chevalley":6gf4aayv said:
Yes Brahmans do well in cold climates. I know Australia isn't as cold as the US or Canada. Brahman infused cattle are spreading further south into our cold areas each. These areas have experienced tough dry seasons which has bought the Bos Indicus breeds to the fore there.
I still don't think the US cattlepeople use enough Brahman content to see their full worth. :D
When it is cold in South La. the brahmans are standing around all huddled together shivvering their a__es off trying to keep warm. I know they would be much warmer a few hundred miles farther north. :p :p
Yes you are right about the Brahmans shivering. This past winter when the ice hit, Daddy thought that my Brahman x Charlois heifer was about to die because it was lethargic and shakin' like a leaf on a tree. I was in about the same shape as that heifer when I was out side during the ice (LOL, I must be part Brahman too).

Black simmental or black baldy (angusxsimmental) or herford or whatever
but stay away from eared simbrah brangus santa getrudis beefmaster for the folowing reasons.
dispostion, disposition, dispositoin. energy consumers.... they are beautiful calft raiser but in the winter months ONE cow can eat a round bale of hay in one day and never put a pound of weight on to show for it
It just doesnt work. stay away fromt he ear!

The eared cattle or good to look at but when you seel them you take a discount and he is absoultly correct about the energy consumption.

haven't read most of the posts but as an ohio type I'll ask where is your market? If you're just selling feeders go continental for gross weight, if they go to the same couple of guys feeding them out for grade(I hate it I hate it, I hate it! but I gotta say it) the right type of angus will build a reputation. And if the same guys feeding them out all the time are color blind charlois will do the same.

there is a technical term for a lot of what Ralph just wrote but the administrater won't allow it to be shown here . but think of what comes out of the south end of a north bound bull

Anonymous":m388fb54 said:
there is a technical term for a lot of what Ralph just wrote but the administrater won't allow it to be shown here . but think of what comes out of the south end of a north bound bull

ralph what this guest posted is closer to right than your post on eared cattle

Some eared cattle have a bad disposition,but not all.
I have seen lots worse dispositions on many continental breeds that so many are so hep on.
As far as earting a round bale of hay in a daywithout gaining a pound to show for it; ralph is correct. IF it is an AWFULLY SMALL ROUND BALE OF HAY. :lol: :lol: :lol:

WILD BILL":c3cmvwwy said:
I thought of Brangus. I know that would genetically be a great cross but I am located in Ohio and the offspring may show to much ear for our markets. What do you think ?

I think the Brangus is the best idea. You will get fast growing, polled calves, easy calving and they will show little if any ear. Solid color either red are black, your choice. If you have reservervations, try AI with a few to see if you like the outcome. I think you will.

la4angus":kz6hndfm said:
I have seen lots worse dispositions on many continental breeds that so many are so hep on.
As far as earting a round bale of hay in a daywithout gaining a pound to show for it; ralph is correct. IF it is an AWFULLY SMALL ROUND BALE OF HAY. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some angus cattle have a bad disposition,but not all. :shock: :shock:
i think this is true with all breeds .. maybe ralph has never seen a round bale of hay 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe they need worming

dun

WORANCH":8o2k2yla said:
la4angus":8o2k2yla said:

Some angus cattle have a bad disposition,but not all. :shock: :shock:
i think this is true with all breeds .. maybe ralph has never seen a round bale of hay 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

WILD BILL":19oa31jg said:
Thanks for all the info. As you can tell I'm new to this board. I have found it informative. I especially injoy comments from DR CATTLE and DE LA GARZA (sp?). Meybe I should tell about our weather in OH, it may be pertanant. It's pretty mild untill mid December, 40-20 degrees F. January was a high of 20 F with many days 0-10 F. First half of February was around 10 F. It's starting to warm up now, around 40. Some snow, rainy in the spring with a lot of mud.

What effect would this weather have on the brama influenced cattle ?
Thanks again for the feedback

I'm from KY - and you do NOT need Brahman or any cross with it - 2 reasons : Climate and Market discount.
Another consideration - are you keeping replacements? If selling all - then do as only 1 or 2 guest said - get a charolais - this will top your market in Ohio. If you move to the south - take the advise of the earred boys and go that route. If you are keeping replacements - forget the charolais and stay angus.

This is really a hoot. There's a lot of hot air being sent back to an honest question, and it's all based on personal bias rather than fact.

There's a preconception that continental cattle produce "terminal" crosses that won't grade. WRONG perception. We have fed well over 22,000 continental crosses that will grade alongside the best all blacks in the country - this is far more of a cattle "type" issue than a breed issue.

There's also a preconception that Angus cattle make more money because they grade higher - which is an extension of a false perception.

Again this is a problem of preconceptions being stacked into oblivion and hiding what's important here.

Question one: What type Black baldies do you have in your cow herd? What is their frame and condition score.
Question Two: Describe your management practices. Since no two cow operations are managed the same, one would have to know whether this is a Midwest FARM operation where the cows graze fence rows with supplement for the summer months, or finely produced alfalfa, or timothy pastures; or whether they are feedlotted on haylage. In the winter, are they cornstalk cows, or refuse cows, or what. THis does make a difference, because many breeds simply are more efficient converters of grass and others are better converters of forage.
Question three: What do you want the calves to do, what market do you want them to fit?

Until those questions are answered, this is just breed BS.

It's not just perception but perspective. If Jow Schwartz hauls his calves to the sale barn and gets docked for color, frame, whatever, he wants to know why. If the feedlot can produce as good of quality grade carcass from continentals shouldn't the producer be paid more for those continetals no matter the color? Yes he should, and no he isn't. Terminal cross isn't just based on grading, it's also based on maternal, fertility, mature size, calving ease. We use some Angus bulls as terminal sires. Daughters maternal traits stink but he generates a heavy carcass that grades high choice. That's what I get paid for.
As I said, perspective.

dun

Anonymous":26qjhhme said:
This is really a hoot. There's a lot of hot air being sent back to an honest question, and it's all based on personal bias rather than fact.

There's a preconception that continental cattle produce "terminal" crosses that won't grade. WRONG perception. We have fed well over 22,000 continental crosses that will grade alongside the best all blacks in the country - this is far more of a cattle "type" issue than a breed issue.

There's also a preconception that Angus cattle make more money because they grade higher - which is an extension of a false perception.

Again this is a problem of preconceptions being stacked into oblivion and hiding what's important here.

Question one: What type Black baldies do you have in your cow herd? What is their frame and condition score.
Question Two: Describe your management practices. Since no two cow operations are managed the same, one would have to know whether this is a Midwest FARM operation where the cows graze fence rows with supplement for the summer months, or finely produced alfalfa, or timothy pastures; or whether they are feedlotted on haylage. In the winter, are they cornstalk cows, or refuse cows, or what. THis does make a difference, because many breeds simply are more efficient converters of grass and others are better converters of forage.
Question three: What do you want the calves to do, what market do you want them to fit?

Until those questions are answered, this is just breed BS.

I would really look at the Brangus. What you may give up with the little extra ear if any, you pick up with the extra pounds.

we use a black gelbvieh in a three breed rotation. we select for low BW high maternal traits, we keep replacments from gelbvieh. The calves from
black baldy cows & black gelbvieh bulls are the best calves we sell.

Latest posts