Best Angus bull the Past Decade

Help Support CattleToday:

Ditto. I'm sure we're not the only ones who have had our own clean up herd sires best several of the big name A.I. sires (from "regular" cows).

It is sad if it has become more about money and hype. :(

Although we do not have any direct 036 progeny, I think he still has had quite the impact upon the breed (good or bad). Still think its hard to beat those 6807s in several areas (and EXTs too).

KMacGinley":1rs3o8yg said:
How long have you been on Wehrman's payroll THG?

I would hate to see one donor cow and make the statement that the bull makes a super female sire. :)
Good joke. No, never was on the payroll. Wehrmann Angus is just up the road from me so I know a lot about there program and I have seen a lot. They have great cattle, carcass cattle.

THG

KMacGinley":2du8cm62 said:
The 6I6 bull has done alright for us, and I think he is one of theirs Matt.
There is a great story about when 6I6 sold. The man that bought 6I6 was drunk when he bought him for $25,000. There was some guys the night before the sale that kept at him to buy 6I6 and on sale day being drunk, he just bidded away and after he saw what he had done, he wanted to sell him back. He came up with the money, but was worried a little I think. Over all, it was a great sale that year and I can remember 6I6 coming in the sale ring that day. Wasn't the biggest bull in the world, but sure was thick and impressive, just like his daughters are. Some Angus breeders have commented to me that his sons have small testicles and that may be true. One of his sons out of G A R Precision 2536, Rito 1I2 I didn't think had small testicles. I also can remember when he sold as well for $75,000 to Hotstetler Angus in Linville, VA. Hotstetler really thinks a lot like Wehrmann Angus and raises some darn good cattle.

THG

Widespread actually did a pretty good job on the cattle and wouldn't mind a herd of daughters out of him. We have one.

He didn't make a lot of mistakes.

SEC":3matnrxy said:
I guess in the end he did just fine out of the deal.
Yeah guess so SEC, but I think Richard McClung told me that they owner of Rito 6I6 tha twas partners with Wehrmann Angus, sold out. I think he was from the Dakotas somewhere. Anyway you look at it, Rito 6I6 probably paid off a lot of his bills and headaches if he had any to begin with?

THG

SEC":qaxx2lc1 said:
Widespread actually did a pretty good job on the cattle and wouldn't mind a herd of daughters out of him. We have one.

Would you be referring to Whitestone Widespread? I think he was the best bull ever raised at Whitestones since I have been around.

THG

THG":1u902l5q said:
SEC":1u902l5q said:

Would you be referring to Whitestone Widespread? I think he was the best bull ever raised at Whitestones since I have been around.

THG

Yup, Whitestone Survivor has left some pretty nice daughters, not as stout as Widespread though!

Sizmic, I like Boyd On Target as well. Also, Boyd New Day is also another great bull. Boyd on Target was used very heavily by Stevenson/Basin in Montana. I can't wait to go out this Fall to the Stevenson/Basin cow sale in Montana. I have my plane ticket ready and very excited about my first ever experience there.

THG

SEC":17l5irex said:
THG":17l5irex said:
SEC":17l5irex said:

THG

Yup, Whitestone Survivor has left some pretty nice daughters, not as stout as Widespread though!
Survivor was also a great breeding bull, but I liked Widespread a lot better. Widespread can really put some meat in his progeny.

THG

Waitaraangus":3y158ta9 said:
What about final answer?

I think at this point in time ( around a decade since this original post ) SAV Final Answer 0035, could definitely be in the running for that distinction. From what I have seen of progeny they are fairly consistent and daughters are pretty good. He now has several sons that are getting to be proven as well, and he has even been cloned ( not sure as to whether I like that kind of doings or not but he must have been highly regarded to have been.)

SEC":14kn5zbk said:
(in 2007)
Lots of the bulls mentioned were born in the last 15 years other than EXT and 6807 who were born in 86.

Alliance 6595 born in 1995 is in my mind a sire that has done more good than harm in the last 10 years.
Not perfect but his daughters don't milk as hard as his MILK EPD indicates.
Not a bad bull in his day, but appears his son KMK Alliance 6595 who would have also fit this time period at ABS was overlooked, he's better than his sire and in 2016 has 36 pathfinder daughters out of 708 eligible = 5%
It's kind of fun looking back to see how they compare 9 years later.
Boyd on Target bd 3/2001 as a terminal sire his numbers stand up even to this very day with $B 138 still in the
top 15% ... but a disaster as cows -13 doc in bottom 5% and -22 hp fertility in bottom 5%

That was my point in the repost. Who woulda thunk that 10 years later 1680 and 036 would bring genetic disaster to the angus breed either??!!

angus9259":2nd77fo6 said:
That was my point in the repost. Who woulda thunk that 10 years later 1680 and 036 would bring genetic disaster to the angus breed either??!!

Well I always thought they were disasters but didn't realize they were going to take down the breed the way they did.

Whitestone Widespread is a bull in this conversation that still to this day I wish we would have used.

Oldtimer":2hm5zn39 said:
I have to agree with those of you that mentioned Emblazon-- and his sire DHD 6807...His sire QAS 23-4 still has one of the major impacts on the breed- if not directly, thru the thousands of progeny out there....

These did/are doing a lot to getting the breed back to what made angus the number 1 breed.....

After 9 years- I still think Emblazon is making a positive impact on the angus industry- especially with the production of efficient maternal angus cattle ... A part of that formula also comes from Rito 707 which has worked so well over the past 45 years in linebreeding programs...

Oldtimer":3flq63bb said:
Oldtimer":3flq63bb said:
I have to agree with those of you that mentioned Emblazon-- and his sire DHD 6807...His sire QAS 23-4 still has one of the major impacts on the breed- if not directly, thru the thousands of progeny out there....

These did/are doing a lot to getting the breed back to what made angus the number 1 breed.....

After 9 years- I still think Emblazon is making a positive impact on the angus industry- especially with the production of efficient maternal angus cattle ... A part of that formula also comes from Rito 707 which has worked so well over the past 45 years in linebreeding programs...

707 has proven to be one of the most time tested dominant angus bulls of all time.

Latest posts