Best Angus bull the Past Decade

Help Support CattleToday:

THG

Reaction score
Well, I know everyone will be different on what you all believe is the best Black Angus Bull in the past ten years, but my pick is CA Future Direction. Awesome sons and daughters. Also, I think that this 004 bull from the Schaff cowherd will be the best bull of this decade.

Well, let me know what your favorite Black Angus bull has been in the last decade.

THG

i think EXT made some excellent daughters as well as 878, but i think it is all in a matter of opinion

THG":8fh4hdrg said:
Well, I know everyone will be different on what you all believe is the best Black Angus Bull in the past ten years, but my pick is CA Future Direction. Awesome sons and daughters. Also, I think that this 004 bull from the Schaff cowherd will be the best bull of this decade.

Well, let me know what your favorite Black Angus bull has been in the last decade.

THG

I'm curious as to the answers you'll get. Since EXT and 036, I can't really name an Angus bull that's made a major impact on the breed. There are just so many Angus cattle being registered and so many bulls avaailable, it's more difficult for one bull to make the kind of impact those two bulls did in their time. 878 has been used very heavily, but he's not the "breed changer" EXT was, IMO.

Why not":1tywf46w said:
Frankie":1tywf46w said:
THG":1tywf46w said:

THG

I'm curious as to the answers you'll get. Since EXT and 036, I can't really name an Angus bull that's made a major impact on the breed. There are just so many Angus cattle being registered and so many bulls avaailable, it's more difficult for one bull to make the kind of impact those two bulls did in their time. 878 has been used very heavily, but he's not the "breed changer" EXT was, IMO.

Would you go as far as to say a lot of angus that are being registered should be slaughtered?

We have seen enough proud owners display poor quality herd sires here to answer that question already.

Bez+

Why not":3i7acks4 said:
Frankie":3i7acks4 said:
THG":3i7acks4 said:

THG

Would you go as far as to say a lot of angus that are being registered should be slaughtered?

Sadly, it's not just Angus.

I don't think pictures are a very good way to judge cattle so I haven't put many on the board. But there are a few pictures of my cattle out there. Search and ye shall find.

dun":2mrh1ulp said:
Why not":2mrh1ulp said:
Frankie":2mrh1ulp said:
THG":2mrh1ulp said:

THG

Sadly, it's not just Angus.
that's for sure. but with the abundant supply of angus bulls seems you see them the most

Why not":3eihk3p5 said:
Frankie":3eihk3p5 said:
I don't think pictures are a very good way to judge cattle so I haven't put many on the board. But there are a few pictures of my cattle out there. Search and ye shall find.

So you never email or send someone pictures of your animals to anyone who inquires about them? prospective buyers.

We have done that. Mostly we sell our cattle through sales or to people who come and look at them in person.

Frankie":3fwmdm9a said:
Why not":3fwmdm9a said:
Frankie":3fwmdm9a said:

So you never email or send someone pictures of your animals to anyone who inquires about them? prospective buyers.

We have done that. Mostly we sell our cattle through sales or to people who come and look at them in person.
im starting to smell a rat with this why not feller.. he is following frankie around staying back just side of a fight. QUALITY CATTLE comes to mind

ALACOWMAN":150oe8n7 said:
Frankie":150oe8n7 said:
Why not":150oe8n7 said:
Frankie":150oe8n7 said:

im starting to smell a rat with this why not feller.. he is following frankie around staying back just side of a fight. QUALITY CATTLE comes to mind

You noticed that, too? Good, I was beginning to think I was paranoid! :lol:

Like it or not GAR Precision 1680 has had a huge impact on the breed. He ushered in the era where people are striving for ultrasound numbers and not as concerned with structure and phenotype, granted he isn't horrible in those areas. He along with 1407 have really changed the angus market. Whether you believe this change has been good or bad it has happened.

I don't believe there is any bull that exists that is the answer to everyones problems within their herd. No bull is going to give you superior carcass, phenotype, disposition, udder, growth, frame, etc. all in one package.

I will agreat with Angus in Texas that G A R Precision 1680 has definitely left a big mark on the Black Angus breed. Along with other bulls mentioned like 1407, 878, EXT, and 036. I haven't seen anyone speak of the 323 bull or if the 6I6 bull or even 6807.

THG

THG":3e8rj3fw said:
I will agreat with Angus in Texas that G A R Precision 1680 has definitely left a big mark on the Black Angus breed. Along with other bulls mentioned like 1407, 878, EXT, and 036. I haven't seen anyone speak of the 323 bull or if the 6I6 bull or even 6807.

THG

I'd say 6807 left his mark on the breed, but am not sure that he fits into the the time frame of "the past ten years."

6807 has made a big impact i agree, so has 1680,but all of the bulls that have been mentioned have their flaws. that could go with any breed, no just angus.

We personally have several of the influential bloodlines in our herd (EXT, 6807, GT Max, 1680, Kruggerand, Juice, 963, Lead Time, 878, Fortune 200, Neutron, etc) and it would be hard to put a finger on the most favorite. We have not used any Future Direction in our herd, mainly due to the lower growth EPDs (and isn't his semen $$$ now?). I think it would be hard to say, as it takes probably at least a good 5 yrs before you even know how the bull is performing (and how his daughter's produce) - and also what you are looking for. Strangely enough, our home raised AI-sired herd bulls' calves will often out perform direct AI sired calves (which will often come out of our better cows) - go figure? So far, New Frontier 095 seems to be mating well in our herd (on cows) and his calves seem to have a lot of growth, muscle and good carcass values; however, our first females out of him will calve next spring - so the jury is still out on this aspect. Our Bushwaker 41-93 progeny have also been very solid and productive too. I think not enough credit is given to the dam and her breeding as far as influence is concerned (both positive and negative) and it also depends on what you like and what does good in your area.

I will throw Sitz Alliance 6595 into the disscussion. Just good functional cattle, and still being used by the owners(Sitz and TC). For a 12 year old bull to still be used in those two herds says alot. 6595 daughters are everywhere, he is not a frill bull, nor a show bull. He is a beef bull!

Another good bull from what I have heard (although we didn't use him). Longetivity and in herd use says a lot and can increase their impact (EXT, Max, Scotch Cap, Lovana, 23-4). I forgot, but VDAR New Trend 315 also had a large impact; but am not sure that would be within the last 10. It seems like a lot of SAF 598 Bando 5175 sons seem to be popping up too and we may start seeing this bull to have a big impact too (and Bando 598). We used an 8180 son for some time, and he was a good growthy (big ribeye) bull. A lot of good bulls out there (and not so good ones) and it's not always reflected in the EPDs.

lucy's boy made some nice looking daughters, but they also tended to be a little crazy come calving time. quite protective if ya know what i mean, but only with calf at side.

skcatlman":1wi1j49y said:
What about Fullback and Fame they left deep heavy muscled cattle. Or at least i have noticed some.

We used Fulback and liked him. But he doesn't marble. I don't think he got all that much use. Fame comes from a line of cattle that is likely to have some white on them. We never had one that couldn't be registered, but there are lots of good Angus bulls that don't give you white hair.

Latest posts