Best Angus bull the Past Decade

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":2zxh9t3e said:
skcatlman":2zxh9t3e said:
What about Fullback and Fame they left deep heavy muscled cattle. Or at least i have noticed some.

We used Fulback and liked him. But he doesn't marble. I don't think he got all that much use. Fame comes from a line of cattle that is likely to have some white on them. We never had one that couldn't be registered, but there are lots of good Angus bulls that don't give you white hair.

I bought a son of BT 24J last year. His calves seem to be growing off well. Any of you angus folks have an opinion (good or bad) about him? Thanks.

I was at the Whitestone Farm sale last Fall and the progeny sired by the B/R New Frontier 095 were pretty darn good. 095 daughters that are in production and I did see one at the Whitestone sale, man she was pretty darn good.

Also, Lucy Boys progeny, man they have some disposition problems. AA New Trend and VDAR New Trend were both good bulls.

Who has used Future Direction and if you have, how did you like the results, because all the progeny I have seen out of him was fantastic!

THG

Anyone think that OCC Emblazon should be mentioned? I kinda' do. But I just think he would be a better fit in our program than a lot of the other bulls mentioned here. Perhaps I am an odd duck.
--Julian

Julian":3rlxr72w said:
Anyone think that OCC Emblazon should be mentioned? I kinda' do. But I just think he would be a better fit in our program than a lot of the other bulls mentioned here. Perhaps I am an odd duck.
--Julian

Don't feel like an odd duck Julian, I'd agree that OCC Emblazon is a pretty solid bull. We have used Emblazon and 6807 through the years and I think the 6807 type cattle work the best for us. To pick the best bull of the decade is a neverending discussion with no one right answer.

The Emblazon bull is a very thick and sires some really nice carcass type cattle. I like him and Wehrmann Angus flushed a few donor cows to him and sold a $43,000 bull sired by Emblazon and he was pretty impressive. I think Select Sires is leasing that bull out. He is owned with some a farm in PA and Kansas I think. Anyway, darn good bull no doubt. I still really like the Future Direction bull, really hooked on those daughters, but then again, they aren't the biggest cattle in the world and that is perfectly ok.

THG

Is this post about the best bull or the most heavily promoted and overused. If EXT would of froze his nuts as a yearling out at Grass Range, Montana the world would of been a better place-at one time I had over a 100 EXT influence daughters here and they had good udders but dispositions that just won't cut it-I raise Brahma rodeo stock also but they didn't hold a candle to them. Without a doubt the most influential bull in the last 30 years has been QAS Traveller 23-4-not many pedigrees he doesn't show up in. I have a fair amount of Future Direction semen in my tank but not totally sold on him-I bet I'm the only guy still breeding him to commercial cows. It's getting harder to find good thick Angus cattle that won't milk or grow themselves out of a home. The Connealy Freightliner cattle look to be working well up in my neck of the woods. One thing EXT's are good for is training colts-they're like trying to gather quail lol.

I think the post said in the last 10 years. Unfortunately 10 years isn't really enough time to know if a sire has done a bang up job. Lots of the bulls mentioned were born in the last 15 years other than EXT and 6807 who were born in 86.

Not sure if 878 figures into the equation as I have seen many mothers to herdbulls that are 878 daughters. Definitely 036 doesn't come into the equation up here anyways.

Sitz Value is probably a sire that has been overlooked, his SC hurt him up here or I would have gone after him. Sexed semen on a bull like that would go a long way.

Alliance 6595 is in my mind a sire that has done more good than harm in the last 10-12 years. Not perfect but his daughters don't milk as hard as his MILK EPD indicates.

As stated before, we need sires up here that will leave enough testicle growth that commercial breeders can use them. FD sons just aren't good enough, daughters though are pretty good. Udders on them are as good as they come.

I would take a whole herd of EXT cows if I could. Like Sitz Value, not enough SC.

Seems like a lot of breeders like the EXT bull. Well, what about the BAR EXT 205 Traveler bull that Select Sires Leases or leased at one time?

Another question is, what bulls do you all think will play a big role in the future of the Angus breed? I have looked to Rito 4S5 of 2536 SA owned by Pine Ridge Angus in GA and Genex. What about Rito 4L60 or how about G A R Predestined and the G A R Retail Product? Retail Product daughters are very good females and thick with great udders and milk flow. I believe that Retail Product daughters are going to make some great brood cows and donor cows for many cowherds across the US. ANd what about Rito 1I2, I really like his daughters, but his sons I am not to hot on. Another bull is G A R New Design 5050, darn good Angus bull for the future. 004 females I believe will play a big role in the future of the Angus breed along with his sons that are leased to stud services like the predominant bull leased to Accelerated Genetics.

I believe that the future of the Black Angus breed looks great as long as we are breeding for productive cattle.

THG

THG":gohxq3o1 said:
Seems like a lot of breeders like the EXT bull. Well, what about the BAR EXT 205 Traveler bull that Select Sires Leases or leased at one time?

Another question is, what bulls do you all think will play a big role in the future of the Angus breed? I have looked to Rito 4S5 of 2536 SA owned by Pine Ridge Angus in GA and Genex. What about Rito 4L60 or how about G A R Predestined and the G A R Retail Product? Retail Product daughters are very good females and thick with great udders and milk flow. I believe that Retail Product daughters are going to make some great brood cows and donor cows for many cowherds across the US. ANd what about Rito 1I2, I really like his daughters, but his sons I am not to hot on. Another bull is G A R New Design 5050, darn good Angus bull for the future. 004 females I believe will play a big role in the future of the Angus breed along with his sons that are leased to stud services like the predominant bull leased to Accelerated Genetics.

I believe that the future of the Black Angus breed looks great as long as we are breeding for productive cattle.

THG

EXT 205 has a poor SC EPD and what do you do with a bull with no scrotal?

I don't have a lot of faith in the precision influenced cattle IMHO. The 2536 cow has certainly rung the bell a few times, but I am not certain that it's her personal production that has helped in the contribution of adding benefit to the Angus breed or if it's a feed pail. Time will tell.

Not sure the New Design cattle for the most part will be considered beneficial in the long term sustainment of the breed either.

We will see in the next year or two if the 004 females will make mothers to herdbulls at outfits other than SAV. The 004 calves I have seen haven't been very special, that was at some very good herds in MT>

We still have some big EXT daughters and they are doing a good job for us with no disposition problems other than they can be quite protective with a young calf, but that's not all a bad thing.

We have also tried to keep an eye on Scrotal too. One bull that we have our eye on and bred a handful of cows to this spring was Woodhill Foresight (SC +1.72). He seems to have good growth and carcass too. Anyone had any experiences with him?

We still like the New Frontier 095 calves too (SC +1.22) so far. We had one son earlier this year that at just under 13 mos of age measured a 42.5 cm at his semen test (yeah, we were impressed - yes, he passed). Our junior herd sire is NF095 x 6807 and he is sure a long muscular meat wagon (hope his calves are too - weaning next weekend).

Generally, we have not used too many Gardiner bulls in our herd. In our area, the customer's want big bulls - nothing under a 6 and they're not afraid of a 7+ to 8 frame. So this has limited their use in our herd. What we have used did OK, but did not seem to live up to its EPDs - especially in the carcass area; however, the females have been nice and raise good calves.

KMacGinley":yasghmgr said:
Are you going Angus again The Hereford guy?
No, just asking this question and listening to opinions; that is all.

THG

Foresight is a pretty darn good bull. Looks to be very thick and is a 1/2 brother to 878. Why don't you call Jud Baldridge and find out for yourself how good the Foresight calves are.

THG

They were a standout last summer at Sitz's besides the Tradition calves. Skull structure is something that they will be ordinary and sometimes downright different with.

Nice sire group though.

Foresight is darn good and I would also say that he is one of teh thickest bulls in the Black Angus breed. Also, I believe this Connealy Freightliner bull is a thick bull. I like the looks of the Vermillion bull, "VRD," but just to much performance and to big of a BW for my taste.

THG

Freightliner was also very impressive at Hawkeye! Not sure he was really thick, but well made and functional. His calves don't quite seem to fit the pattern they are a little slighter made but with bwt's that most can really live with on heifers. Daughters are common headed but apparently make nice momma's.

VRD would certainly be as close to terminal as the Angus breed has. He does have birthweight but not something that will cause problems. His daughters sport the awesome udders, with enough milk, they won't blow their udders out.

I guess if you are looking to add more frame to your cowherd, I would go definitely with "VRD." Freightliner daughters I have seen are really impressive. Darn good udders and correct teat size with ample amount of milk. VRD daughters are also very impressive, just a bit framer than the Frieghtliner daughters or New Design and Traveler daughters.

THG

THG":22kw41fe said:
I guess if you are looking to add more frame to your cowherd, I would go definitely with "VRD." Freightliner daughters I have seen are really impressive. Darn good udders and correct teat size with ample amount of milk. VRD daughters are also very impressive, just a bit framer than the Frieghtliner daughters or New Design and Traveler daughters.

THG

We've got a 3/4 sister (DatelineXRight Time) to VRD. She's a bred heifer, but I think she's going to be a big cow when she stops growing.

Latest posts