Best Angus bull the Past Decade

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt":2wby2y47 said:
Not up much on the Fullblood Angus scene, but I would pick 6807 or Emblazon for my wants.

Curios what kind of mark BR Midland is making on the Angus scene? A year ago when I was looking for a Bull seems like many of the Angus sales had the biggest numbers of Midland bulls in the sales.

I think it's difficult for any bull not owned (or leased) by a major AI company like ABS, Select, Genex, to make an impact on the entire Angus breed like EXT and Traveler 23-4 did. Midland is partly owned by Express Ranches and he has got a lot of use here in OK. I've seen a lot of sons in bull sales; some seem to be good, some not so good. One breeder told me that he likes Midland daughters better than the bulls. We'll wean one bull calf by him next week and will have some more born in the spring. So we'll see how he works for us.

The drop in milk didn't bother us. IMO, the Angus average Milk EPD is higher than optimum for us, anyway.

036 definitely has a huge legacy.

He has 7139 daughters in production.

And he has sired sons who have been widely embraced by Angus breeders.

878, 1407, 208, and Predestined being the best known.

I got 13 Angus sale catalogs yesterday with the Angus Journal and every single one of them had lots sired and/or grandsired by 036. His ground zone impact (for better or worse) is HUGE

Brandonm2":2d75rfi7 said:

I got 13 Angus sale catalogs yesterday with the Angus Journal and every single one of them had lots sired and/or grandsired by 036. His ground zone impact (for better or worse) is HUGE

I agree that 036 has made a huge impact on the breed. He has considerably more daughters working than GAR Precision. We've used 036 since he was a youngster and have not been disappointed with his calves. We've made as much money off him as probably any bull we used. We don't have any straws left; I hope we get a daughter or two.

036 was a grat breeding bull no doubt. Frankie, you think that 036 was used more than 1680?

THG

THG":2h9xv25t said:
036 was a grat breeding bull no doubt. Frankie, you think that 036 was used more than 1680?

THG

Yes, I do. There are more milking records and more ultrasound records on 036's calves than 1680. He just never seemd to get a lot of use in this area. We used him one year as a heifer bull and were satisfied with the calves. We kept one heifer that I really liked, but her first calf had to be pulled. Vet put her arm in and said "oops." Calf was dead. She went to the sale barn without papers. But you can find that with any bull. The things that we didn't like about 1680 and never got better were his scrotal and WW EPDs.

1680 has 4,728 daughters in production while 036 has 7,109 so if 1680 was used more then one would assume the resulting progeny were either bulls or not registered.

Brandonm2":24hxl8hx said:

7000 daughters in production doesn't mean there is a legacy to be left. I am always amazed by those that put 036 on a pedestal. I haven't seen very many progeny by him that have been impressive. IMHO a great sire will have excellent progeny from ordinary cows. 036's greatest sons have been 878 and 095 and they are out of cows that seem to be exceptional in their production. 1407 would have been castrated at our place just because of hind leg structure and his progeny certainly exemplify that.

Midland won't leave a legacy either as his daughters seem to be harder doing, at least up in this country. Their udders are ordinary as well.

I was at the 2006 Wehrmann Angus female sale last Fall. Wehrmann Angus sold a BVND 208 daughter for 1/2 interest to Three Trees Ranch in GA for $150,000. Now, that cow I saw with my own two eyes and that was a darn good donor cow. She had the best udder I have ever seen on a cow. She was so correct and wasn't the biggest cow in the world, but man did she look good. I would consider that to me that the BVND 208 daughters will all be keepers in the long run.

THG

We can banter back and forth all day long about which bull is the best and we can critique every bull to the point that you would think he wouldn't even make good hamburger but the fact is most bulls out there can be used successfully. It is a matter of what you are trying to accomplish within your own herd, how your cattle are bred, and how those particular cows cross with the bull you choose.

It is just like when you see two people that are married and may not be the best looking folks around but when you look at the daughter they made you don't believe that it is possible they are her parents. ;-)

Angus In Texas":3vfwara7 said:
We can banter back and forth all day long about which bull is the best and we can critique every bull to the point that you would think he wouldn't even make good hamburger but the fact is most bulls out there can be used successfully. It is a matter of what you are trying to accomplish within your own herd, how your cattle are bred, and how those particular cows cross with the bull you choose.

It is just like when you see two people that are married and may not be the best looking folks around but when you look at the daughter they made you don't believe that it is possible they are her parents. ;-)

This is true, but I think your odds are a lot better when you start with quality on both ends. I think the odds that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie would have a nice looking daughter are better than if Rosanne Barr and Tom Arnold would have had off spring ;-)

I have trouble believing in a sire line that leaves progeny with brown around their muzzle and their eyes. Much like a Chi

SEC":1sz3w13g said:
I have trouble believing in a sire line that leaves progeny with brown around their muzzle and their eyes. Much like a Chi

036s? We never had that happen. Maybe you should investigate the cow a little closer.

It's happened at more than one place multiple times with 036, only have seen it occasionally with other sires, I know that their lineage wasn't much better.

SEC, are you saying that 036 may have had the Diluter gene or was a cross breed? What are you trying to say about 036?

THG

How long have you been on Wehrman's payroll THG?

I would hate to see one donor cow and make the statement that the bull makes a super female sire. :)

THG":232v3zn9 said:
SEC, are you saying that 036 may have had the Diluter gene or was a cross breed? What are you trying to say about 036?

THG

Don't say something that I didn't say.

He's not the only bull that has done weird things but he was the bull of topic. 036 really doesn't have a very good pedigree though if you look at the bottom side.

SEC - I think that most have little knowledge of pedigree or even care if there is a Chi or Holstein in the wood pile. I think that there is much more attention to hype which is kind of sad IMO.

I agree BA, I think if these bulls names had the prefix of a guy who lives in Yuk a Tuk Tuk they wouldn't have used the bull in the first place.

Hype is great, but not when it involves pitiful cattle from " breed leaders" If the cattle warrant the appreciation then that's great.

An example would be Traveler 004, he was in stud in 2002 and yet he was overlooked until SAV rang the bell with him the first time. He looked great back then when we seen him, semen didn't qualify though.

Not every bull will be a trendsetter but good is good!

Latest posts