Best Angus bull the Past Decade

Help Support CattleToday:

I have to agree with those of you that mentioned Emblazon-- and his sire DHD 6807...His sire QAS 23-4 still has one of the major impacts on the breed- if not directly, thru the thousands of progeny out there....

These did/are doing a lot to getting the breed back to what made angus the number 1 breed.....

I meant deceased about VRD. Emblazon is a darn good bull no doubt on if the thickest Angus bulls in the breed. This Woodhill Foresight bull looks pretty impressive and also the Stevenson Moneymaker bull that Express Angus Ranch, Stevenson, and some otehr breeder on. I think the Moneymaker bull is leased to ABS?

THG

One of the other owners on Moneymaker is 44 Farms right here in Cameron and is owned with Stevenson Angus, Thunder Creek, Express Ranches, Deer Valley Farm, Limestone LLC, SandPoint Cattle, and KCS Angus. Per 44's website semen is available through Origen. I personally am not a huge fan of On Target after seeing about 50 of his calves last year. They were just a rough looking bunch of calves with no real muscle deifintion or growth. I don't know if this is typical from him or if the cows were not of very high quality.

Angus In Texas":18ww0cms said:
One of the other owners on Moneymaker is 44 Farms right here in Cameron and is owned with Stevenson Angus, Thunder Creek, Express Ranches, Deer Valley Farm, Limestone LLC, SandPoint Cattle, and KCS Angus. Per 44's website semen is available through Origen. I personally am not a huge fan of On Target after seeing about 50 of his calves last year. They were just a rough looking bunch of calves with no real muscle deifintion or growth. I don't know if this is typical from him or if the cows were not of very high quality.
I had some On Target progeny and females from the Boyd Beef Cattle program and the Boyd On Target progeny I think is darn good. The calves were small at birth and then took off like weeds. The momma cows expressed great udder quality, milk flow, and thickness. I really like the Monmeymaker bull and the whole Stevenson/Basin cowherd.

THG

Surprised no one has said Right Time or Bando 598. You could make a case for SAF Fame. Bando 598 has huge influence. So much so that I always have to check for inbreeding possibilities. SAF Fame is the grand sire and sire of some highly used bulls. His calving ease propensity is much sought after. Leachman Right Time; I think has passed on a look to his progeny. Right Time bulls just look different. New Day and 338 both have great front shoulders.

there are so many good bulls to choose from. right time slipped my mind. he produces very nice looking daughters

I still have the On Target progeny. Also, my opinion is that they have a great disposition.

THG

Overall, it looks like most breeders that posted felt like EXT was one of teh most influential bulls of the last decade. I truly have to agree. I am still though a big Future Direction fan no doubt, but 6807, 6595, and many others from the past have done such a great job.

THG

highvoltagecattleco":2i4vwf6k said:
Surprised no one has said Right Time or Bando 598. You could make a case for SAF Fame. Bando 598 has huge influence. So much so that I always have to check for inbreeding possibilities. SAF Fame is the grand sire and sire of some highly used bulls. His calving ease propensity is much sought after. Leachman Right Time; I think has passed on a look to his progeny. Right Time bulls just look different. New Day and 338 both have great front shoulders.

No case could be made for Fame, poor feet, slab sided, plain looking. I can't use a bull whose dam looks like a horse. That is why 5175 bred the way he did.

I only used 9074 once, but never used anymore because of 5175. But without a doubt Bando 9074 has done an excellent job and would be one of the highly underrated Angus bulls in recent times. 9074 doesn't make many mistakes, the progeny are very usuable.

Seems like we can pretty much agree on that what will make a great (influential) bull is what made the Angus breed so popular - the females. We'd have to say that some of our best females descend from 6807, 598 & EXT while others also include Pine Drive Big Sky, TC Dividend 963, 036 and Max. I would be hard pressed to have to decide amoung the first three. Most of our favorite cows have a couple of these above sires in their pedigrees, so it would be hard to attribute their success to just one.

I'd have to agree with SEC on Fame - at least in our herd too. We did not care for our Fame progeny and had one daughter that was a nutty shorter fence jumper (that didn't milk well either and was flat muscled). She finally developed a limp one fall so we had our opportunity to ship her. Everything I have heard about the 5175 bull has been positive and a lot of his sons are gaining popularity...but only have personal experience with Bando 0699 (with mixed feelings and our 1st female calves next year).

Have not used On Target, too bad his semen & cert are higher than the norm. One ABS sire we have had really good luck with was Bushwacker 944 (AN1549). Haven't pulled a single calf out of him (mainly used him on heifers), his calves ultrasound near the top, and he has decent growth and moderate frame. They're not "barn burner" cattle (although tend to be above average on weights) but seem quite nice (females too) and have quiet dispositions. He has been a good and economical solution for us to breed our heifers to. You'll find 036, 41-93 and Juice in his pedigree.

You all have me excited - I hope I end up with some Foresight calves next spring. :D

I will say that the Woodhill Forsight progeny are thick. Also, not a big fan of Fame, never was and never will be. I will agree that I too thought that Fame was a flat muscled bull and bad feet. 5175, wasn't to bad, but would have done in a pinch.

THG

Double A":tv1rdn34 said:
Seems like we can pretty much agree on that what will make a great (influential) bull is what made the Angus breed so popular - the females. We'd have to say that some of our best females descend from 6807, 598 & EXT while others also include Pine Drive Big Sky, TC Dividend 963, 036 and Max. I would be hard pressed to have to decide amoung the first three. Most of our favorite cows have a couple of these above sires in their pedigrees, so it would be hard to attribute their success to just one.

I'd have to agree with SEC on Fame - at least in our herd too. We did not care for our Fame progeny and had one daughter that was a nutty shorter fence jumper (that didn't milk well either and was flat muscled). She finally developed a limp one fall so we had our opportunity to ship her. Everything I have heard about the 5175 bull has been positive and a lot of his sons are gaining popularity...but only have personal experience with Bando 0699 (with mixed feelings and our 1st female calves next year).

Have not used On Target, too bad his semen & cert are higher than the norm. One ABS sire we have had really good luck with was Bushwacker 944 (AN1549). Haven't pulled a single calf out of him (mainly used him on heifers), his calves ultrasound near the top, and he has decent growth and moderate frame. They're not "barn burner" cattle (although tend to be above average on weights) but seem quite nice (females too) and have quiet dispositions. He has been a good and economical solution for us to breed our heifers to. You'll find 036, 41-93 and Juice in his pedigree.

You all have me excited - I hope I end up with some Foresight calves next spring. :D

I wouldn't call PDBS, Dividend or 036 bulls that have left a legacy on the breed.

I think 036 was a good bull no doubt. He wasn't used like 1680, 6807, or 878, but he was a great Angus bull of the last decade.

THG

Not up much on the Fullblood Angus scene, but I would pick 6807 or Emblazon for my wants.

Curios what kind of mark BR Midland is making on the Angus scene? A year ago when I was looking for a Bull seems like many of the Angus sales had the biggest numbers of Midland bulls in the sales.

Midland's milk number has dropped from the high 20s to a 12. It has put alot of guys on edge. I have only seen a few Midland progeny but the ones I saw I wasnt impressed with. That said I did not see the dam's of the Midland calves they may have been way better than their mommas. Weird because the sire and MGS of midland are Proven high 20's to low 30's on milk.

Not the best but most influential sire of the Angus breed in the past 10 years will end up being Precision 1680. I just hope breeders can recover from his "influence".

Latest posts