Anyone know anything about Omaha Steaks?

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":2fo33zfn said:
skyhightree1":2fo33zfn said:
NECowboy":2fo33zfn said:
Probably I think they are pretty aggressive and probably even telemarket.

Guy here parked at a gas station asked me to fill his van up because he was out of gas and he would give me shrimp and some steaks I told him no thanks I raise my own steaks and don't buy meats out of someone's van. He looked at me like I was crazy for not taking him up on the deal.

I highly doubt that anyone is pimping Omaha Steaks out of vans with freezers.

I don't know who or what company but he was selling steaks and shrimp and had a sign on the van but never paid attention which is why I was asking if they do that.

skyhightree1":2fo33zfn said:

Guy here parked at a gas station asked me to fill his van up because he was out of gas and he would give me shrimp and some steaks I told him no thanks I raise my own steaks and don't buy meats out of someone's van. He looked at me like I was crazy for not taking him up on the deal.

Haha that's great. Were you driving your SUV and not looking like a cattle rancher or what? Sounds like a weirdo (why couldn't he pay for his own gas).

:lol2: im no rancher ... I was just driving my pick up and in the city... Yea guy was a weird o his gf looked high out her mind.

skyhightree1":2gtteucp said:
:lol2: im no rancher ... I was just driving my pick up and in the city... Yea guy was a weird o his gf looked high out her mind.

You raise beef cattle you qualify in my book! As you said you raise your own steaks!! :lol:

NECowboy":1i64ilxh said:
skyhightree1":1i64ilxh said:

You raise beef cattle you qualify in my book! As you said you raise your own steaks!! :lol:

:lol2: im in Va. We call ourselves farmers for the most part. Every once in a while you get an odd ball that calls themselves a rancher. I think we even had a thread going on here about whether you classify yourself as a rancher or farmer.

Here someone who only farms or does both farming and ranching is a farmer. Someone who only raises crops for feed or does mostly or only ranching is a rancher. Any farming we will do is only to grow feed but it's not my primary income so I call myself a hobby rancher!

Omaha is direct market only. About 100 times better than that crap people sell out of freezers in their trucks.

Still not all that great for what they cost, but they are good.

skyhightree1":2vbm55p2 said:
NECowboy":2vbm55p2 said:
skyhightree1":2vbm55p2 said:
are they the folks that ride around with freezers in vans and trucks that sell steaks ?

Betcha if it was cheese he was trying to trade for gas you would have filled up his truck and two spare gas cans for a 10lb. block of cheese. :mrgreen:

As CB and many others have formerly stated, 'All ranchers are grass farmers first'.

I have had a guy drive up to my house in a truck, with "Omaha Steaks" or "Omaha Beef" on the side of the van--I forget exactly what it said and he started his sales pitch and didn't want to take a polite 'no thanks' for an answer. Admittedly, I don't raise the best beef in the world, but it's mine and we like it. I just pointed to my own cattle, then asked "Have you ever seen the movie Second Hand Lion?".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTaVWamH5YY

I dont care for their beef but we always end up with a gift card to there around Christmas time which makes me laugh considering we live in Nebraska and raise our own beef, but we usually get a bunch of their sides and desserts just for the convenience factor their cheesy scalloped potatoes arent bad and they have a apple thing my wife likes with ice cream.

Thanks for the replies, free is a good price and of course I'll give it a try, won't turn down a free tenderloin.

D2Cat":299aap9p said:
It's corn fed Nebraska beef. Can't be worth a sh**. I wouldn't eat after all the reports here!! :lol2:

Good point! Now I need to decide who to send the gift cards to, maybe Jo although I really don't feel offended. Maybe Sky, but a little worried about sending tenderloins to his cheese warehouse. TB or GB, maybe CB.......oh wait they're all Texans, can't send Nebraska beef to Texas. :lol:

TexasBred":sez3930s said:
skyhightree1":sez3930s said:
NECowboy":sez3930s said:

Betcha if it was cheese he was trying to trade for gas you would have filled up his truck and two spare gas cans for a 10lb. block of cheese. :mrgreen:

You got that right :lol:

Alan":2hfzl6mr said:
D2Cat":2hfzl6mr said:
It's corn fed Nebraska beef. Can't be worth a sh**. I wouldn't eat after all the reports here!! :lol2:

Good point! Now I need to decide who to send the gift cards to, maybe Jo although I really don't feel offended. Maybe Sky, but a little worried about sending tenderloins to his cheese warehouse. TB or GB, maybe CB.......oh wait they're all Texans, can't send Nebraska beef to Texas. :lol:

Send it to me Alan. If you are going to send something to Sky just run out to Tillamook and get him some cheese. He would be shocked to find out what good cheese tastes like. Those guys in Texas..... well Texas already has everything. Just ask them they will tell you that. Me on the other hand am eating a thin heifer that got crippled. Most any steak would be an improvement. You could prevent me from converting to Tofu.

Want me to send you a Jaccard Dave?
(caught my wife using one on a boneless chuck roast 2 nights ago--it came out tender all right--almost mush)

Alan":19lgyy57 said:
D2Cat":19lgyy57 said:

Lol

Am I the only one that's bought a few steaks from a truck? Back in my single days I had one of them stop at my house and give me his spiel about a neighbor turning down their order and he had to sell the order before going back to the plant. I guess I was in the right mood and bought four t-bones. Two were package in some type of peppercorn marinade and the other two were plain. Instead of going straight to the freezer I left one of the marinated ones on the counter and ate it that evening. Gotta tell you that the flavor was wonderful and the steak, which was thin, was fork tender and made me wish I had bought more. The plain ones were pretty darned good, too. Second time he came buy I bought a couple more and they were not the quality as the previous ones.

ive bought some and they are better than a walmart steak. I do get a box from my MIL from time to time and apparently she can not refuse these salesman. ive got frozen steaks, shrimp, crableggs, salmon and its all decent food. I'll eat pert near anything too so take it for what its worth

Latest posts