Does anyone know anything about Antique Car Values

Help Support CattleToday:

Pontiac's vin# didn't necessarily show which engine any given vehicle came from the plant with especially after the late 60s. The hard thing with the Pontiac V8 blocks is that they were all almost identical in physical size and weight, from the little 287 up thru 455.
The only real way is to look for the engine code on the block.
The Vin numbers that DO indicate which engine also will narrow it down to how many bbls the carb has, & whether it is dual or single exhaust.

Pontiac's vin# didn't necessarily show which engine any given vehicle came from the plant with especially after the late 60s. The hard thing with the Pontiac V8 blocks is that they were all almost identical in physical size and weight, from the little 287 up thru 455.
The only real way is to look for the engine code on the block.
The Vin numbers that DO indicate which engine also will narrow it down to how many bbls the carb has, & whether it is dual or single exhaust.
Well I just learned something. Here I was, thinking that Pontiac had a small block AND a big block, the 455 being a big block like Chevy. But no... the 455 was as you say, a punched and stroked 287 small block.

Thanks...

You ought to just drive it as I would know you when I seen you around town. My mother had a 73 2dr. LTD that same color that was like driving a tank.

Put it in the auction at ProTeam as they seem to sell good there.

Last edited:
Not all Pontiacs had Pontiac engines either. I had an early 70s Ventura with a Buick 350 in it. The dead givaway was the oil pump location.

oldmoblile used the buick v6 and the chevy small block in some cutlasses.. they got into trouble in the 80s for using the small block ..they built a 267 Chevy small block during that period..

I haven't fooled with old cars in a while but the 400 with that few miles on it is worth a fair amount. 1973 was the year everyone had to detune for smog. Pontiac cheated and under rated their engines. Generally they outperformed corvettes all through the 60's and 70's. The engine will have casting numbers that will tell you what it is. The heads will have casting numbers as well. There is a lot of information online about pontiac casting numbers. Catalina isn't super dedireable but the 400 is. Most of the dragstrip guys actually swap the intakes and pistons to reduce torque. Pontiacs are notorious for spinning tires because they produce so much low end torque. Don't sell it without talking to people on some of the pontiac forums

I haven't fooled with old cars in a while but the 400 with that few miles on it is worth a fair amount. 1973 was the year everyone had to detune for smog. Pontiac cheated and under rated their engines. Generally they outperformed corvettes all through the 60's and 70's. The engine will have casting numbers that will tell you what it is. The heads will have casting numbers as well. There is a lot of information online about pontiac casting numbers. Catalina isn't super dedireable but the 400 is. Most of the dragstrip guys actually swap the intakes and pistons to reduce torque. Pontiacs are notorious for spinning tires because they produce so much low end torque. Don't sell it without talking to people on some of the pontiac forums
I remember when the 389 tri power was a beast..but these later LS engines are in a different realm. these guys are getting ridiculous horsepower out of a little chunk of aluminum

Last edited:
While looking it up, I read that the 400 was more desirable than the 455 because it could actually produce more hp.

They're both good engines. But there's no replacement for displacement!

Grandma had a 72 olds 98 with a 455 rocket.
You'd never a known how that thing could GO! by the way she drove.
Dad was driving in the city one time and got turned around backwards on a one way street. That olds would turn around on a dime when you mashed the footfeed to the floor!

GOOD TIMES!
GOOD TIMES!

You ought to just drive it as I would know you when I seen you around town. My mother had a 73 2dr. LTD that same color that was like driving a tank.

Put it in the auction at ProTeam as they seem to sell good there.
I would have to mortgage my house to fill up the tank. I am only putting non-ethanol fuel in it and that stuff ain't cheap right now.

I hadn't thought about Pro-Team. They have an Auction coming up soon.