Does anyone know anything about Antique Car Values

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
My cousin and I own a 1973 Pontiac Catalina (Grandfather's car). 54,000 original miles. Garage kept and covered until about 5 years ago and the last 5 it has been under a shed. Interior is immaculate and good paint on the outside but some light rust starting on the trunk where it was stored under the shed. Runs great. We just simply have no place to store it and have decided it is best to just sell it. I simply have no idea what it is worth or how to price it. There is not a Kelly Blue Book for this sort of thing.

My cousin and I own a 1973 Pontiac Catalina (Grandfather's car). 54,000 original miles. Garage kept and covered until about 5 years ago and the last 5 it has been under a shed. Interior is immaculate and good paint on the outside but some light rust starting on the trunk where it was stored under the shed. Runs great. We just simply have no place to store it and have decided it is best to just sell it. I simply have no idea what it is worth or how to price it. There is not a Kelly Blue Book for this sort of thing.
Per my husband, Hemmings Motor News has a pricing guide - his brief look says avg $18200 range 9900-22000. Hemmings.com

I'd say 5-8k. Possibly more depending on the configuration (2dr, convertible, wagon, engine, etc.)

Go to eBay motors.
It's pretty accurate with the market.
It's no different than the salebarn you can see what people are willing to pay.

Assuming the car is a four-door sedan with the common 350 V8... it's at the very start of when big slugs became common on the roads of America. Gas crunch times and overloaded with emissions equipment... 150 horsepower in a 4200 pound car.

But times have changed and even the once shunned cars have become pricey. Yours sounds like an easy spit and shine. From your description it sounds like an eight out of ten. Price it accordingly but you may find it is difficult to sell... or you could have two guys fighting over it.

Others have mentioned sites to get prices... but it's really the condition that determines value from those prices.

It is a two-door hard top with a 400 engine (I am not sure which 400 though.) I drove it as a teen when I needed to take them somewhere. It is a huge car and drives like a battleship. I don't think this model has all of the emissions crap on it though. The gas crunch didn't come until 76-77.

I have scoured the internet and it seems there aren't many out there at all. And the ones that are for sale are higher mileage. I will try to transfer a pic from my phone and post it later.

Last edited:
My Grandpa had a '73 Catalina with the 400 2bbl but his was a 4 door. I remember him driving that thing to the Co-Op in town and putting what seemed like (10) 100 lb feed sacks in the trunk, it was massive. Neat old cars, but they were a turd for performance. I'd love to see a picture of it if you have one handy.

It's worth 5, maybe 6 bred cows.

U must deliver. And you can take your pick...
You might want to jump on Murray's offer.
'73 Catalinas weren't all that popular even in '74, they're a tough sell.
Found a couple of drivable '73s online, one is asking 28k the other has been listed for sale for over 7 years and still hasn't sold and the asking price is now $4,950

Do you know the difference in how a small block looks as compared to a big block?

As Murray said... it has the 400 grill.

Pop the hood and post a good pic of the engine from overhead.
I am only going by what the vin printout says.

Based on what I have looked up, I think all of the Catalina 400s were hard-top coupes with the 455 as an option. I know they bought it off the dealer floor because I went with them to get it when I was young. It was the only new car my grandfather ever owned.

https://www.wplr.com/2019/03/13/ajs-car-of-the-day-1973-pontiac-catalina-400-coupe/

I will try to get a pic of the engine. It might be tomorrow. I have to deal with a guy clearing some hills for me this afternoon.

Last edited: