Angus. I don't get this...........

Help Support CattleToday:

quote]

That being the case why don't Red Angus qualify for CAB.[/quote]

From what I've read, black and red angus cattle are genetically the same.

Over a hundred years ago some Scottish Earl randomly decided that BLACK would be the official color for the breed. Red Angus eat just as good as black.

Angus have always been black, and black is dominant. The red gene has been in Angus, probably since inception, Blackeyes of Ballindalloch calved around 1880 was named for her only black feature. The US herdbook decided around 1908 to exclude red cattle from their herdbook, in all other Angus herdbooks reds are registered right along with blacks, with the notation in their name that they are red. CAB is about marketing a product to drive demand for a breed, it has worked beautifully, so again I ask "who or what changed over the past 3 decades?"

robert":12fpyr29 said:
Angus have always been black, and black is dominant. The red gene has been in Angus, probably since inception, Blackeyes of Ballindalloch calved around 1880 was named for her only black feature. The US herdbook decided around 1908 to exclude red cattle from their herdbook, in all other Angus herdbooks reds are registered right along with blacks, with the notation in their name that they are red. CAB is about marketing a product to drive demand for a breed, it has worked beautifully, so again I ask "who or what changed over the past 3 decades?"
The only reason reds are excluded is because CAB is from the American angus associaiton. Their game, their rules.

The problem I have seen at the sale barn if it's black it sells for more no matter if it's crap or not. This trend has changed from quality to hide color. This hurts the Cattleman and Consumer. It should be about quality only the best brings the most to encourage improvement of all the breeds. All that has beem accomplished is we have created a cesspool. Angus beef should be Angus beef as advertised and the same for any other breed that wants to market it's breed exclusively.

Caustic Burno":nk65bu2y said:
The problem I have seen at the sale barn if it's black it sells for more no matter if it's crap or not.

Friday a week ago it was different. Angus 5 month bred solid teeth were bringing anywhere from $600 to as high as $825. The same brindles were bringing $900 on up. It went on for a couple of hours. This was the Dublin, TX sale barn.

preston39":3ugw69or said:
bigbull338":3ugw69or said:
....'im not bashing the angus breeders......i dont follow the color fads.i buy well bred cattle i can make money on.an yes i run a black beefmaster bull.only reason being is he is a home raised bull.
=============
...and you raised a ...'black beefmaster'....for what purpose?
well i had raised him to sell,since he was out of a high powered bull.then i sold my old herd bull.an decided to see what kind of calves he would throw.he may go to the sale this spring or fall.

backhoeboogie":32yc9rri said:
Caustic Burno":32yc9rri said:
The problem I have seen at the sale barn if it's black it sells for more no matter if it's crap or not.

Friday a week ago it was different. Angus 5 month bred solid teeth were bringing anywhere from $600 to as high as $825. The same brindles were bringing $900 on up. It went on for a couple of hours. This was the Dublin, TX sale barn.

You are dead on as far as replacements go no one wants Angus here unless it is crossed with something.
I was referring to salebarn calves to commercial buyers.

Caustic Burno":cj326l61 said:
The problem I have seen at the sale barn if it's black it sells for more no matter if it's crap or not. This trend has changed from quality to hide color. This hurts the Cattleman and Consumer. It should be about quality only the best brings the most to encourage improvement of all the breeds. All that has beem accomplished is we have created a cesspool. Angus beef should be Angus beef as advertised and the same for any other breed that wants to market it's breed exclusively.

not everyone knows what quality is, or what it should be, or what it takes to get there. I have neighbors who own some of the sorriest, poorly fed, ill-bred mongrels you'll ever see and when they look at my cattle or theirs they think they are looking at the same thing. :roll:
If a cesspool of generic black cattle exists it is because other breeds stole the color of Angus to perpetrate a fraud, there's good and bad in every breed and cross, but the blame Angus game never seems to get old. Again, who really changed over the past 3 decades? The Breed that was always black and created a breed based beef program or everyone else that wanted a piece of the pie they neither earned nor created??

He$$ Robert we can't sit here and let you sop up all the gravy. Get me a little angus blood in my junkers... enough to turn'em black and waht the heck...I've got a ticket to the party too. If you ever buy beef or eat in a restaurant you might have eaten some of my junk. It's CAB you know and "I" created it. :banana:

if your junk meets all the specs then gets branded CAB good for you, after all, it can do no harm to the brand and builds demand for Angus. Just sayin'......

robert":2plki1fe said:
if your junk meets all the specs then gets branded CAB good for you, after all, it can do no harm to the brand and builds demand for Angus. Just sayin'......

I doubt if there's much "junk" that gets stamped CAB. The carcass requirements are pretty stringent and, except for rib eye area replacing yield grade, they've remained the same all along. Remember, only 8-10% of cattle that initially qualify end up becoming CAB.

I have no ties to Angus or any other breed but, while i used to feel differently, I'm with robert on this one. Any fraud being perpetuated through the CAB program hasn't been instigated by the Angus people. It's the breeds that have turned themselves black, and are trying to pass themselves off as Angus, that are being deceptive.

You guys can say what you want about simmys and chars turning black.Angus stole some of there asses along the way.I cant stand to see black chars or black simmentals.I think those associations should be assamed of theirselves.When i think of simmental i think of red white and yellow and white.You never see those cattle anymore.Why did this happen?All because sombody stated black was better. Good cattle are coming back just wait and see.The days of people thinking just because they are black are better is slowly coming to a end.

wow, is that all you've got? really? Angus earned their reputation for quality beef from the get-go, one of the principle reasons they gained popularity was because of the way the fed out and hung on the rail and most of all ate. Angus is not a fad, chasing the color black is. Angus earned their reputation for high quality beef, what did your favorite black derivative do? There are lots of good angus cattle out there, but raise whatever you want, whatever works for you and your customers but for crying out loud enough of the whining about CAB & Angus.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2alnpfwv said:
I will agree that anyone that thinks Angus has never diluted its bloodlines with some other breeds along the way is dillusional.

Amen on that a big Angus bull weighed 800-900 pounds and poof they went to 2000 pounds overnight.
It is impossible to put that much frame on what they started with without something else.

Somebody stuck something in the woodpile.

Ballot of Belladrum c. 1954 1850lbs at maturity, can be found in many popular pedigrees today.

Conan of Wye c.1963 yrling wt of 1243lbs

Emulation 31 c. 1968 yrling wt 1319lbs

Sayre Patriot c. 1976 wean wt. 765lbs, yrling wt 1220

PS Power Play c. 1977 mature wt 2640

just a few of those influential " little" angus :)

robert":e3x0ev0l said:
Ballot of Belladrum c. 1954 1850lbs at maturity, can be found in many popular pedigrees today.

Not picking a fight but those were not athletic looking cattle. Most of them were hog fat at those weights.

robert":1gpguhgi said:
Nope...just builds a demand for "black"....We add the "Angus" handle on it once we get enough of it black. :cboy:

3waycross":222nlxg9 said:
robert":222nlxg9 said:

Not picking a fight but those were not athletic looking cattle. Most of them were hog fat at those weights.

Pounds maybe looked like a herd of hogs in a pasture, then the frame changed to be as large as beef breeds overnight. Now had they been moderatibg frame ok. You can't put that much frame on a breed in just a few years unless your innoculating with something elese. My suspicion has always been Holstien. Have my suspicion's on some other breeds as well.

10905374 Grubbs Mckensie ; heard this was a rather TALL Angus bull. Know nothing else about him.
If Holstein was used for size - I heard this as well), you'd have thought milk EPD's would have soared as well.
Valerie

Latest posts