Angus folks tell me about Spur Sucess

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never used him but he seems to be one of those love him or hate him bulls.....
some folks love him and some folks hate him.
I have not looked at him in so long that I don't remember why I did not consider him seriously.
I think his progeny information has reinforced his numbers rather than trashing them.
Sydenstricker has him and I am using a different sydenstricker bull.

http://www.sydgen.com/herdsires/2801.html

to me the mature bull photo looks better than his young bull photo.

the Spur herd certainly has a good history.
I like the top side of his pedigree
The bottom side has some emulous and emulous were the hot cattle in the mid seventies and they were good cattle.

If I had more cattle he might be on my list to try.

I liked him and bought a son of his at sydenstricker's sale, thats why i was asking to get some angus insiders info.

What lot number did you buy, I was might have seen him. He is a pretty safe outcross to most of the other cattle at Sydenstrickers, probably one of the reasons they bought him and have used him for so long.

I have several daughters out of him. Excellent carcass qualities, very nice udders and gentle ladies. Very good mothers. I've heard you should only put him on "wide" girls as he would tend to thin them up. We have wide girls and no problem.
Valerie

I thought so too, will see what happens with him. I got him to make balancers think he has what it takes to cross with Gelbvieh cattle, hope to have some winners. :nod:

I am a fan of Spur Success because of his daughter we own. She is a bulky cow, and each calf she has had, has been a heifer. How lucky we have been! The only thing I do not care for, is his milk EPD of 37. Our daughter's dam's milk was 14, and it brought her milk down to 26. I would still like it to be lower.
Spur Success has stamped his offspring here. I will post a picture of Spur Success I took while it was raining. Then I will post a 2 year old granddaughter (heifer) of his, that is due to calve this month, and an "opposite end of her head picture!!!!!" Good grief :shock: ( "Be nice" is replacing kindergarden words!!") You can see the likeness in the bull and in the heifer. The side picture makes her appear to be post legged in the back, but if you look at her pasterns, they have a good angle, and the picture in the pasture, her hocks have a good angle. She is standing at the hay ring with her front legs a lot lower than her back legs, and her tail covers up her hocks. I must say this is my favorite heifer. This heifer's granddaddy's are Spur Success and Leachman Boomtime.
SpurSuccessNov.jpg

Spur Success
P0002398_edited-1.jpg

Granddaughter of Spur Success and Leachman Boomtime
Ida038.jpg

Same heifer

Nice cow Chuckie, good to see you are still around. We ended up with a bull that has Spur Success as his MGS, still too early to tell but first couple of calves have come easy and have plenty of grow in them.

JSCunn, The heifers that we have had from the Spur Success daughter, seem to be slower to mature, but are heavier in weight. They just look gangly.
Did you get this Spur Success bull this fall, or is it one that you raised?
Chuckie

Bought him last year, as a January bull calf at Sydgen. He passed his BSE at 370 days of age and was breeding cows a week later. Actually has a couple of calves on the ground already and he wont be 2 until January. He also looked "ackward" at about 15-18 months but really looks nice now. I attributed that to Success, because he reminds me of Success in body type, muscle shape,etc. Not near as good obviously but reminds me of him. I think he was lot 28 in last years sale (Sydgen Connection 9074).

Thanks for the inputs its making me feel better about my purchase. Good looking pics also :)

Vclavin,
Do you have any pictures of the offspring of Spur Success? He has a certain style that is not exactly like all the other bulls. I once was thumbing through a catalog, and ran across a picture of a bull, and immediately knew he was a Spur Success son or grandson, and he was a son.

Jscunn, do you have a picture of your bull? I would like to see him.

I am anxious to see how the granddaughter's calf turns out. Here is a picture of the daughter of Spur Success that we have. I was glad to see that all the cows were still alive after a tornado. I remember posting that I thought she was the ugliest calf that I had ever seen; Doc Harris told me to give her a chance, and I am glad that I did. But she seemed to be shallow in the heart girth, and had no meat on her bones. But she weighed more than the other calves her age. When she matured, her heart girth is much thicker like her daughter and every where else. As I said, they are gangly when they are young!
Do not pay attention to the date on the photo. It is wrong as always. Just like the VCR clock. :D
Tater8-26-05.jpg

Chuckie,
I'll have to see if I have one of #509 (15132413). She was a spur success daughter..died unfortunately. Don't know what she got into but she really bloated huge and died before the vet arrived. Her and her son (15816020) both were high marblers IMF ratios of 137 and 132...re was not so good. Theres a pic under the thread "My girls" of tag 553 (15352274). She is a daughter of Spur Success..she did better with the RE.
There's a pic of 509's son under the thread "Phoenix"
Valerie

Latest posts