am i the only one

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":15nll3ey said:
It is a matter of what you are use to. Anything above 50 degrees I am just wearing a Tee shirt and driving with the window down. I am not fond of below zero but I can always put on another layer. Above 90 I hate. I can only take off so much. Nice thing about where I live, it very rarely gets above 90 or below 0. Of course with global warming on its way I may need to move further north.

Or South. I hear it is positively balmy in the antartic since 'global warming".

This morning it was 32 with 80% humidity and 18 mph NW wind.
We are always in the 70-100% humidity. Once in a while we will have a dry cold front come through and be low % and you can really tell a difference. Cold temps won't seem so bad then.

Felt like spring here yesterday. 70 degrees outside. This morning it was right around 30 degrees with wind gusts up to 25 mph (didn't check humidity). Just about froze my buns off putting out hay. Haven't been back out all day.

The greatest thing I ever bought is Gore-Tex tennis shoes. If the snow doesn 't get deeper than about 4", no need for boots. I only wear uninsulated rubber boots then. I wear a longsleeve t-shirt, short sleeve t-shirt, flannel shirt, and hooded sweatshirt in the winter. Oh, and long johns and jeans. I wear that if it's 40 or -15. When I take my longjohns off in the spring, I put on shorts.

You poor southern guys, there is nothing better than a zero degree morning with no wind, just walking around choring just before daylight. I actually smile some days as I think just how lucky I am. Best time of my life.

We sometimes get the humidity like Jed does, the frost is simply amazing in the morning. Biting cold and great. By the way, I also like it to be 100 in the summer, guess I just like extremes. gs

Mornings have been in the 20's afternoons in the 60's. It's so DRY this year that the mornings aren't even chilly. Usually in January here it's socked in fog so thick you literally can't see fifty yards and a steady 40 degrees... There's no way to stay warm in that crap. I spent a year travelling from here to southern Idaho and I swear -20 there is warmer than 40 here is.

One thing I have noted on how cold affects me now versus when I was kid, is that my hands and feet froze then no matter how insulated the boots or gloves, and I never recall needing or wearing anything warm for my ears and face. I don't know when it happened, but for several years now I have noticed I don't need or wear anything but wool socks in my uninsulated boots, and uninsulated leather gloves in the coldest of temps with no problems. But I have to wear a tobaggan (sp?) hat and my face gets cold easy. Except for my ears and face, I take the cold much better now than when I was young. If I had to choose (and I prefer not) one extreme over the other, I would prefer cold temps.
I agree the sensation of cold and reaction to it is partly mind over matter. If you do tense up it only gets worse. Best to embrace it and keep plugging along. Just always be aware of the dangers of cold (and heat) and be prepared.

trappersteve":1wyfwq2c said:
I am such a wimp when it comes to cold weather. I freeze to death this time of year . Im not scared of much of anything even rode bulls for a while but if it gets below 50 degrees im froze, I live in the mountains of VA and it don't get real cold here, it may get down in the teens a couple times a year. But as I get older (37 now) it seems like cold just cuts me to the bone . I don't see how you northerners take it .

I think im gonna move to Florida or Texas where its warm.

Ok im done whining now I gotta put another log on the fire!

Personally, i find that more normal than people who go out in shorts and short sleeves at 30 degrees.

inyati13":2k8vgcg5 said:
This is going to sound like Bez's Good Coyote/Bad Coyote theory.

Cold is more in your sense of perception than it is a threat. Sure it can make you uncomfortable. But apply mind over temperature. Tell your sense receptors they are receiving invalid data. Don't hunch up and restrict your circulation. Relax, stretch and say to yourself, this is invigorating. Before you know it, you'll be running around in your short pants.
Those are the folks they find frozen to death with a big grin on their face.

Latest posts