Am I the only one?

Help Support CattleToday:

The folks who shop at Tractor Supply and have horses.
I went to True Value and IFA yesterday to stock a new bolt bin and Tractor Supply had bolts for $3.49 a pound... much less than the other stores. On the other hand the only way they had nuts and washers was in little bags of three for $1.79 so I bought those at True Value in boxes of a hundred for about ten bucks.

Don't bash TSC. Sure they are not a true farm store for what we want in one, but they know their customer base and have created a very successful and profitable franchise that doesn't have to compete with WalMart. If you would have bought their stock 20 Years ago and held on, you would be much wealthier.

I admit I was a bit jealous and frustrated that they were going to erase and forgive all the debts to Black and minority farmers. It didn't seem fair to other farmers that worked super hard, building slowly with their own funds, without taking out any loans. Everyone needs to be wary and not move forward thinking they are going to be granted forgiveness on debts based on race. It's a tight-rope of contention. The pendulum on helping race-minorities has swung the other direction. People are beginning to understand white men are now being discriminated against and don't have access to any of these opportunities. They should "stop with the checkmarks"...if you are a Woman, Black, Hispanic, American Indian, Native Alaskan, Island Pacific or Samoa please check here. They could make it simpler: check here if you are a white man. Now I'll probably be in trouble for venting my peace.
I've noticed a lot of money, loans from FSA being pushed to farmers and even NCRS-RCPP partnerships where you give your 50%...I'm skeptical of some of these programs....sure seems like a land grab. Wise to be wary.

How many acres is considered a ranch?
I have 400 plus acres and call it Hurley Farm. 85 acres of it was bought by my grandfather Nov 8 1899. It was bought from a man in New York. The man's name from New York was L. M. Thorn.

Last edited:
As long as we talk about a man's (womans) colour of skin and give or give not privileges based on pigmentation of skin......... racism and division will stay alive.
The media plays right into that.
Had to laugh about your guys's comments on city slickers coming out into the country and find a few acres an impressive size land. Just funny. In return, I'm sure there are some things in big cities we country bumpkins find impressive and they would laugh about us.

As long as we talk about a man's (womans) colour of skin and give or give not privileges based on pigmentation of skin......... racism and division will stay alive.
The media plays right into that.
Had to laugh about your guys's comments on city slickers coming out into the country and find a few acres an impressive size land. Just funny. In return, I'm sure there are some things in big cities we country bumpkins find impressive and they would laugh about us.
The only thing I find impressive in the big cities...is seeing the back side of the city limit sign...

The only thing I find impressive in the big cities...is seeing the back side of the city limit sign...
I have been to the big cities before. I much prefer the things which God created to those which man built. I do like the view of a big city....... in my rear view mirror.

The folks who shop at Tractor Supply and have horses.
I have horses and go out of my way to stay out of TSC. It's a joke. First week it was opened I went in and asked about a bloat block b/c we run our cows with volunteer alfalfa. Guy tells me they don't stock it yet b/c ranchers don't use them yet. I'm not calling myself a rancher, nor anything remotely close to anything but a "hobby ranch," but I did everything in my power to not laugh in his face, and I walked out. Two years later I think I've been in there fewer than 5 times.

So, easy there killer.

What's a big city?
To us, Billings MT is a big city. We avoid going there.
To me Casper is a big city, and there are days I feel as if Riverton is to big. I don't mind visiting the cities, but I sure would not want to live in one. I have spent my fare share of time in North Denver near I-25 and the Boulder Turnpike, Fort Collins, and Grand Junction Colorado while in college. Way to many people for my liking.

To me Casper is a big city, and there are days I feel as if Riverton is to big. I don't mind visiting the cities, but I sure would not want to live in one. I have spent my fare share of time in North Denver near I-25 and the Boulder Turnpike, Fort Collins, and Grand Junction Colorado while in college. Way to many people for my liking.
Sheridan is getting way to big and busy for our liking...

You park on a hill with a good view all around. If can't see anything that doesn't belong to you you might have a ranch.
Otherwise you got a place.
Park on the hill behind the house and you can see everything for 15 miles. Probably the summer range land for 15, 000 cows. That would be one heck of a ranch.

The picture is just one shot looking to the northeast.
P9101170.JPG