Am I the only one?

Help Support CattleToday:

Park on the hill behind the house and you can see everything for 15 miles. Probably the summer range land for 15, 000 cows. That would be one heck of a ranch.

The picture is just one shot looking to the northeast.
View attachment 13637
Yep thats about the size I want! Lol!

You reckon I can borrow the money so they will forgive it?

I have horses and go out of my way to stay out of TSC. It's a joke. First week it was opened I went in and asked about a bloat block b/c we run our cows with volunteer alfalfa. Guy tells me they don't stock it yet b/c ranchers don't use them yet. I'm not calling myself a rancher, nor anything remotely close to anything but a "hobby ranch," but I did everything in my power to not laugh in his face, and I walked out. Two years later I think I've been in there fewer than 5 times.

So, easy there killer.
as long as you know what you want and they have it at a reasonable price what difference does it make what the guy that loads the shelves knows?

Park on the hill behind the house and you can see everything for 15 miles. Probably the summer range land for 15, 000 cows. That would be one heck of a ranch.

The picture is just one shot looking to the northeast.
View attachment 13637
beautiful place, my kinda country.. sagebrush, drylands etc!

You park on a hill with a good view all around. If can't see anything that doesn't belong to you you might have a ranch.
Otherwise you got a place.
There's an old joke from a BTO rancher talking to his Swiss relatives "It takes me all day to drive around my place".. Swiss farmer replies "Yeah, I used to drive a Ford too"

I have horses and go out of my way to stay out of TSC. It's a joke. First week it was opened I went in and asked about a bloat block b/c we run our cows with volunteer alfalfa. Guy tells me they don't stock it yet b/c ranchers don't use them yet. I'm not calling myself a rancher, nor anything remotely close to anything but a "hobby ranch," but I did everything in my power to not laugh in his face, and I walked out. Two years later I think I've been in there fewer than 5 times.

So, easy there killer.
I pulled into Ontario yesterday to get fuel while on my way to the sale. Drove right past TSC. There was maybe 10 vehicles at the most in the parking lot. A few blocks down the road is D&B supply. There was probably 25 vehicles in their parking lot. Give you an idea on how popular TSC is in this area.

The closest TSC is about two hours away, and every time I have been in one I always walked out without anything. You ask for a specific part and you get a blank stare, the lights are on but no one is home look. Bomgaar's is a much better store; although their people are not much better, but at least they carry stuff the farm and rancher would want. Murdoch's here is not to bad, but they don't stock much for the farmer; It was a much better store when it was a Linton's Big R, at least the same people that work there, and most at least have half a brain.

I wonder if Big R, D&B, North 40, and Coastal Supply are all just divisions of the same bigger company. The stores all carry the same basic goods. The only difference is the size of the individual store.

I am lucky here as we have Oregon Trail Livestock Supply. It is not a big box ranch supply store. And here in an area where thousands of cattle are raised they are geared to serve the cattle ranchers. They only have two stores. One in Baker and the other in La Grande. The employees are either smaller ranchers who work a day job or younger people who were ranch raised.

Since materials have gotten hard to get I've been glad to have TSC. They've done a good job of keeping basic stuff on hand and at a decent price. We get a 5-10 percent discount on pallets. They're quick enough to get me loaded. I spent about 3000.00 in there Last week and when the roads thaw out I've got another list about the same. We probably average 1000.00 to 2000.00 a week.
I'm glad to have them.

D&B gives a 10% discount to seniors on Tuesday. The place is swamped on Tuesdays. Just before Christmas they sell $30 gift cards for $25. I buy a bunch of those gift cards which I give to myself. On Tuesday the wife needed chicken food. Two sacks should have cost me $33.84. But with the senior discount and using a gift card it cost me $25.75. Nearly 25% savings. I am not cheap but I am darn sure frugal.

Latest posts